Is internet social media bad for societal stability?

Users who are viewing this thread

Eh, found an extension called blocksite. It get's the job done although it's too easy for me to unblock the sites. But at least it reminds me I'm trying to get productive.

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
I've found SelfControl very useful for Mac. There's a significant difference in number of words I write when I use self-control. There are other apps like Freedom for Windows but Freedom is not free afaik.
other apps like Freedom for Windows but Freedom is not free afaik.
Freedom is not free
a83.jpg

Grönsíir said:
Eh, found an extension called blocksite. It get's the job done although it's too easy for me to unblock the sites. But at least it reminds me I'm trying to get productive.

The best way (I've found) to avoid repeat visiting sites the moment you get bored is just by brute-force training yourself not to do it. Back when I had my dissertation I just publically said "I'm not using taleworlds or Facebook anymore" and I didn't need to actually block them. In fact after the first couple of days the reflex of clicking on Facebook or taleworlds was gone, and when I got bored I would just plough through it (or play video games for a little bit).

I tried using an app sometime before this but when I'm relying on technology to curb my short attention span, it's a lot easier to act like the responsibility isn't on me and so I just end up browsing other sites.

When I had a problem like that, I merely removed the offensive sites from my shortcuts (it was Cheezburger). Once they are several clicks away, you have time to think what are you doing and stop.

JACVBHINDS // 寒心420? said:
Grönsíir said:

The best way (I've found) to avoid repeat visiting sites the moment you get bored is just by brute-force training yourself not to do it. Back when I had my dissertation I just publically said "I'm not using taleworlds or Facebook anymore" and I didn't need to actually block them. In fact after the first couple of days the reflex of clicking on Facebook or taleworlds was gone, and when I got bored I would just plough through it (or play video games for a little bit).

I tried using an app sometime before this but when I'm relying on technology to curb my short attention span, it's a lot easier to act like the responsibility isn't on me and so I just end up browsing other sites.

I agree that training myself is much better than relying myself on a cyber-crutch but I see it more like a last defense sort of thing. The "Go do something more productive" message when I try entering the sites reminds me that I was trying to stop that stuff. I've got so much more stuff to worry about to remember I'm trying not to browse 4chan.  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom