SP Native Medieval Intrigues

Users who are viewing this thread

Compatible version
e1.5.9
aYfUK.jpg

"You are walking in the dirty-lower streets of Lageta in the night time. Your expensive cloak and chainmail boats are covered in mud and faeces. You never thought you would visit such a damned location, but your ambition for being the sole ruler of Empire makes you think that it worths. You approach a tall hooded man, his face is covered with cut marks. You are handing over the gold in a silk pouch - along with a small note. He is not saying a word, neither do you. Once you faded away to dark streets - he looks at the note and reads: Garios"

DOWNLOAD FROM HERE

What is this?
This is a Singleplayer mod for Mount&Blade II Bannerlord. As the name suggests, it's adding Intrigues to the game. These options are only there to spice things up a bit for current players. Enabling them to create their own dirty strategies - and creating a money sink for them. I will explain each of them one by one in detail.

Why?
Bannerlord isn't a complicated game. That much is known. In the current state of EA, you don't have many options in Diplomacy, let alone doing anything related to politics. Hence, this mod adds several options for you to do certain dishonourable acts to other lords in your way to the throne.

Historical References
In Ancient and Medieval times political intrigues were the only thing to secure your own position in that world as a noble. Even if you are an honourable person, the next person in line might not be that noble, hence you were always in danger. I think it goes without saying but all these options in the mod are backed with historical references.

How To
As long as you have enough money, plotting an intrigue isn't that hard in this mod. Just decide what to do, to whom, and find his/her encyclopedia page in-game. Then you will see options marked as below - I will explain all these actions one by one.
HtN_u.jpg

When you press any of them ( except maiming - I will come to that ) it pops up a window - making you select how much money you want to put and how much risk you want to take. These values are dynamic - and can change based on the events in the world. I will explain them in the action types. For each of them, your agent can fail but might not get caught along the way - or you might succeed but also got caught by the guards/people.
Actions do not happen immediately. Each of them has contract days. If you pay more to professionals, they tend to do things much cleaner and quicker. Once you pay for the contract, you have to wait that many days written in the day calculation. You will be notified when the action is finished ( good or bad ). If the character dies meanwhile - you will be refunded.

Types of Actions

Assassination
Symbol
:
JqLy5.png

Description:
I think this doesn't require any explanation about what it does. However, the success rate for this is dependent on several factors. If the character is the leader of a faction, the price goes up, the success rate goes down, the caught rate goes up. Because faction leaders are well-protected targets. In each clan tier, your success rate goes down, and the price goes up - because even assassins wouldn't like to kill key players in the Calradia for a few gold coins. If your target is moving with a larger army - surrounded by the soldiers, the assassination rate gets affected based on how many soldiers he/she has in the army. This is applicable if he/she is staying in the Castle too.
Down Side:
One of the most obvious downsides of assassination is that, if you get caught, you will be condemned by the others in the Calradia. Negative effects are nearly the same as the execution if you attempted to kill someone adult. However, in this mod, you can also kill babies or under-age heirs for clans ( yes, you can kill newborns as well ) - however, if you get caught - this extremely dishonourable act will have severe consequences.
You still have the chance to fail even if you kill the target. If you succeed to kill the target and caught - punishment is the same. If you try to kill a faction leader and got caught - this is a Casus Belli - meaning that they will declare war on you.

Spread Rumors
Symbol
:
ddry2.png

Description:
Spread rumours cause the targeted agent to become dishonourable - it decreases relationship with its friends and other lords in the faction. It also causes renown loss.
Down Side:
If you get caught, the target won't be affected by spreading rumors but instead, you will be marked as a liar and will have relationship penalty with others.

Kidnapping Character
Symbol
:
RGKU-.png

Description:
Kidnapping character does exactly what it says. It kidnaps the character and puts he/she to your party as a prisoner. This can come in handy if you are planning to assault somewhere but don't want to deal with lord. Or you might want to sell that person - execute that person or maim that person ( will come to that)
Down Side:
You cannot kidnap faction leaders. They are well protected and kidnaping resistant. Kidnapping is quite pricey - the reason for this is that you need to transport character safely rather than killing him/her on spot. If you get caught, you will lose relationship points with people that know the target.

Sabotage Party
Symbol
:
iGghw.png

Description:
With this action, you can choose different types of sabotage to the target's party. You can sneak in and burn their food stocks so that they will get starve over time. You can poison their wine and water so that their soldier will become wounded for a while. Or you can bribe sergeants so that they will disband the army.
Down Side:
Cannot be done for lords without any party. The disbanding army can be costly and hard to achieve. Cost depends on how many soldiers are in the party and to their tiers. You can try to do that with ruler lords - but the most likely chance will be around zero. If lords are too mobile and rich, they can supply their army when you burn their food stocks. Correlation between army size and some actions are not direct. Meaning that it could be easy to poison bigger army than a 6 people army ( because it's harder to infiltrate ) but it's also easier to bribe 6 people than 200 organized people.

Start Unrest
Symbol
:
iACb7.png

Description:
This action disturbs the daily life in a character's city. This doesn't mean that city will become a rebel faction immediately, but it will be very close to rebellion. If the city is in great shape ( high loyalty change, same culture, lord in the city etc ) then there is a really really high chance that it won't hurt people much. It basically gathers people, decrease loyalty by burning/sabotaging food stocks in the city. This causes temporary rebellion - if the city isn't in good shape, it's just a spark for bigger events.
Down Side:
Cannot be done for lords without any Town. You cannot select the town - and unfortunately, it's not saying which town it's targeting either. I might add this as info - but city selection might be too complex. If you get caught, you will see the backlash of this action from the town owner and others.

Maim Character
Symbol
:
ohHS1.png

Description:
This is probably the darkest among all actions. This can be applied only if the character is your prisoner. This will decrease each skill of the character to half or to third based on some random value. This will also put your torture mark on the characters face. There is no success or fail rate. This action is free.
Down Side:
This action doesn't have any success rate - when you do that, this action cannot be undone and you will lose the relationship with almost everyone - even those who are not in the same faction but have honour perk will despise you. Your action will render a person almost useless and you will release him/her. However, your mark will stay throughout the game. You can maim a character only once. Another big downside is that, if your rivals hate you more than -50 and if they caught you as a prisoner - they will do the same to you as well. This basically forces you to be a good person - or if you wanna be a ****, don't get caught.

Romance
Symbol
:
aEMhd.jpg

Description:
Want to spice your love life? This option is for you. This doesn't cost any money - but renown. You can romance with almost anyone - as long as you satisfy some conditions. You can have a romance with companions if they are in your party and if they have more than 10 relationship with you. You can romance with any opposing gender lord/lady if you have more than 20 relationship with them. Your success rate and fail rate will be calculated based on your relationship, whether a person is noble or not, whether a person is married or not, whether the clan tier is high or not. Same goes for fail and cost calculation too. If you are close to a person - you can actually have "bastards". And yes, you will be the father/mother. This functionality is same with your companions too. It's not magically creating the child tho - you still have to wait the birth like everyone else
Down Side:
You can lose relationship with your friends. It's currently -5. You can lose huge renown. Apart from that, it won't effect you big time.

Some Screenshots
ags5F.jpg
Dx8e7.jpg
qr1DN.jpg
VFzKM.jpg
X8h3C.jpg

Some Known Issues - Missing Stuff
- If your maimed character already had a scar, the new scar will replace it
- There might be some issues with my spelling/grammar. Feel free to be grammar-nazi about that.
- Punishment-Cost-Reward balances might be off - I didn't play the game for long game-years before, so I'm not sure how the gold-balance is like now. If you request, I can later decrease amounts- ramp up the probabilities.

Last edited:

Changelog​

• Version 1.0.3​

• Fixed some issues with the gold calculation
    • Fixed an issue that was dressing maimed rebel lords in female clothes ( :smile: )
    • Fixed issues with multiline in Turkish and Chinese translations.
  • Version 1.0.2​

• Now AI Lords can also assassinate each other or player.
    • Chinese language support
    • Fix for AI Lords maiming each other too often issue
  • Version 1.0.1​

• It's now compatible with Vassal Titles mod ( and should be compatible with other mods as long as they don't override and change the Encyclopedia page)
    • Added some fraction-gold to make each payment look unique
    • Fixed issue that was causing a crash

Last edited:
FYI: When you maim your prisoner, mark appears immediately but to see their skill drops you need to exit page and come back ( N once to go out and N again to see the page ) - this is actually a bug so no need to report that.

Oh my dear Bloc, surely hope is in the mods. :party:

giphy.gif

Not long ago you gave us plague mechanics and now you give us "the so desired" intrigues.
Great work mate

Not long ago you gave us plague mechanics and now you give us "the so desired" intrigues.
Great work mate
Thanks! I also had some very dark stuff in mind to add actually but I think some people can be too PC about that :smile:
Perhaps based on the mod popularity - I can go with culture-specific options as well ( Was @Piconi's suggestion)

Great work, our only hope now is mods, I also hope there is a way to enable and force to use this actions to AI lords between themselves too, but in balanced way of course, good work. (y)

Great work, our only hope now is mods, I also hope there is a way to enable and force to use this actions to AI lords between themselves too, but in balanced way of course, good work. (y)
I thought about that - it can be simulated yes. My initial plan was the following:
Each week, I can toss the dice, check if chances are eligible for any action or not, then check all the lords and their enemies, find one that is "competing" for throne or hate each other, then randomly select an action and execute it.
However, lords don't have that much money as far as I can see and such pseudo-forced behaviour can create issues on their treasury. For example, at start, Rhagea have 179291 gold, Derhert 174886 etc and none of these are enough for any logical action in the game. If I assume that they double this down after 5 years or so, then they can pay for these actions - but since they are AI, I need to choose whether they should really do it or not. If they do it, well then they will be partially broke and won't form an army/party for awhile. This unbalances the game.
As player, we are gaining more gold than AI and we tend to do more logical actions. If you have an intention to take a city - you wouldn't pay a fortune to kill an enemy lord, for example. You would instead buy soldiers. But I cannot know AI's "intentions/plans" for long run.

I was thinking by giving at least one culture-specific intrigue actions to each faction (not neccessarily maiming, it can stay universal), in order to make an overacrching incentive for the player to join certain factions, alongside his other personal prefferences, and to serve as a sort of an active culture perk (as opposed to existing passive perks we see at campaign start).
However, lords don't have that much money
For this to work, i think a treshold for rolling the dice would need to be implemented, for example - they need to have at least 2x gold needed for the most costly action (3rd option) in order for dice to be rolled in the first place, and for them to choose any of them (they can choose the most cheap one too);
or have the dice roll and if successfull, then they choose the option which costs ≤ than 50% of their current treasury, if there is no such option, it fails to trigger in the end.
Or something along those lines.

This way it also make money sink for AI in the late game, and/or second generation leaders, and would be much more immersive for the player.

Last edited:
For this to work, i think a treshold for rolling the dice would need to be implemented, for example - they need to have at least 2x gold needed for the most costly action (3rd option) in order for dice to be rolled in the first place, and for them to choose any of them (they can choose the most cheap one too);
or have the dice roll and if successfull, then they choose the option which costs ≤ than 50% of their current treasury, if there is no such option, it fails to trigger in the end.
Or something along those lines.
There are a few aspects that are troubling with this. First, AI never get x2 money quickly and even if they do, they probably have better things to spend that on ( i.e. war )
And if they choose the cheap one only, then it can also cause issues because cheap one very tends to fail and getting caught.

I think at best what I can do setting a listener on relationship change events and faction leader change events. Then I can check the following:
When relationship change: Is person now hate person X?(Less than -50/-60) Yes. Then do some action if you can afford it and if the probability is calculated higher than 10.
When king change: Each member can check, am I the next in line or someone from my clan? Yes. Then assassinate if possible.

But they are very rare cases as you may imagine. An average user won't see these changes more than 5 times even in long playtime. So I'm not sure if such a rare event deserves development effort.

FYI: Nexusmods is doing some funky business and it's not visible in mods list for some reason. I emailed them and they said they are on it but I might reupload and change the link.
Okay they fixed the issue :party:

Last edited:
Can we expect a mod that will expand on relationships and marriages by making them more flavorful and fun?
I have no intention to touch that area at the moment. I'm guessing at best TW will add wedding feast and animations to that side and be done with it. I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for as flavorful marriage though.

Events like from Crusader Kings 2. Hell, it would be cool if there was a marriage anniversary.

As for relationships; I think it'd be cool if you added a mechanic that is about seduction and chasing romance--- for example: seducing some dude's wife, getting into a relationship with a villager. I think it'd also be cool if you made it possible to have bastard children and having the choice between legitimizing them or not. Just some really neat human drama and stuff.

This is either only possible or easier to be done when TaleWorlds finishes developing Bannerlord.

it possible to have bastard children and having the choice between legitimizing them or not
Yes, I was planning to add something like this. Although not sure how to create this mechanic since Bannerlord is not very `flexible` in that area. One of the idea was adding rape as an option and having a bastard child from that action depending on some value - but it's too dark and not a great mechanic for a mod.

Update 1.0.2
- Now AI Lords can assassinate each other or you. This is tied to a really big hate ratio - so it's not common and quite expensive. Hero should have x3 more gold than calculation to do this.
- Chinese support
- Fixed an issue that was causing lords to maim each other too often.
- Fixed an issue that was causing prisoner to take action to fail.

Back
Top Bottom