Tutorial Other Install and manage mods with Vortex

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi everyone!

In case you weren't already aware Vortex - the powerful, open source mod manager from Nexus Mods - includes support for Bannerlord!

Features:
  • One-click installation for any mods hosted on Nexus Mods (also compatible with mods from other sources).
  • Support for the Steam and Epic versions of the game.
  • Powerful tools to download, manage and update your mods.
  • Profile support to switch between modding setups on the fly.
  • Automatic backup of any game files that are edited by mods.
  • Return your game to a vanilla state in a single click.
  • Support for almost 100 games (not just Mount & Blade!).
  • Fully open source - help us make it even better - see the source code for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord support or Vortex itself.

How to install:
  • Install the latest version of Vortex.
  • Head to the "Games" tab and search for "Bannerlord".
  • Click on the Bannerlord game tile and restart Vortex as prompted.
  • Go back to the games page and click the Bannerlord tile again to manage it.
  • Install mods either from Nexus Mods using the "Download with Manager" button or by dragging mod archives into the "Drop Files" area at the bottom of the Mods page.

Help with Vortex:

If you require support with Vortex or Nexus Mods in general, you can post on our forums or join our Discord server.

BNsCEMg.jpg

Nice! I hope that the Nexus becomes the, ahem, nexus for all Bannerlord modding - the mod manager is just superb, and now that we can have multiple mods active, this is going to help a lot!

Next up remove the need to register an account just to manually download a mod from the website. Absolutely despise websites that force you to register an account just to download something.

I suggest a more streamlined approach if TW has the resources later. Selecting and searching for mods within the game launcher itself or from steam workshops.
Going out to download an external mod manager is so 1990 PC gamer's way.
Reach out to a bigger audience with a more 2020 approach
More audience = more mods

Next up remove the need to register an account just to manually download a mod from the website. Absolutely despise websites that force you to register an account just to download something.

1. Its free.
2. It allows Vortex to auto check your installed mods to see if they have an update, and allows you to then easily update the mods with one click via vortex and not have to download each of them manually again...its not like they are asking you for any real personal information.

I suggest a more streamlined approach if TW has the resources later. Selecting and searching for mods within the game launcher itself or from steam workshops.
Going out to download an external mod manager is so 1990 PC gamer's way.
Reach out to a bigger audience with a more 2020 approach
More audience = more mods

How about no. Nexus is the single largest modding community on the planet. Steam Workshop is trash. Its the "im stupid so do everything for me" platform run by people that have so little respect for its users intelligence that it forces them to update games so mods break. And your last point smacks of not knowing a thing about modding or the community. Steam has mod size limits...nexus does not. Steam goes out of its way to break mods, Nexus does not. Steam has no mod managing software, Nexus does and its made by modders which is why its so damn good.

Warband modders should be flocking to Nexus, its a similar community in terms of modders working together, sharing resources and knowledge and mod users that have respect towards those that make mods.

How about no. Nexus is the single largest modding community on the planet. Steam Workshop is trash. Its the "im stupid so do everything for me" platform run by people that have so little respect for its users intelligence that it forces them to update games so mods break.

Not saying we should use steam workshop, can do a bannerlord integrated manager.

Here is the thing, majority of people are stupid. You got to be smarter and stop being so elitist.
Streamline the mod manager so everyone can play.
This means more dumb people will play mods, so Bannerlord will always be high on the steam charts.
More people playing = more money to taleworlds = more content/dlc/games for us from Taleworlds
It all comes back to benefit yourself by helping others

1. Its free.
2. It allows Vortex to auto check your installed mods to see if they have an update, and allows you to then easily update the mods with one click via vortex and not have to download each of them manually again...its not like they are asking you for any real personal information.

That's the thing, though. I don't want to install Vortex or any sort of mod manager - I'll manage them myself. Me and many others simply don't care for these 'novelty' features they offer and simply just want to download a mod or two.

Thus I much prefer pretty much any other mod hosting site that isn't Nexus. But each to their own, I have my opinion about Nexus and you have yours. :giggle:

Steam Workshop is trash. Its the "im stupid so do everything for me" platform run by people that have so little respect for its users intelligence that it forces them to update games so mods break.

Steam workshop is a proven concept, it works. Users simply click one button and it's done. Not even once have I had any issue whatsoever subscribing to a mod or uploading a mod. Whereas on Nexus you need to add a bunch of irrelevant information just to upload even the smallest of mods.

Making something unnecessarily convoluted does not make it better. Same way Apple is not better just because it's more expensive.

Not saying we should use steam workshop, can do a bannerlord integrated manager.

Here is the thing, majority of people are stupid. You got to be smarter and stop being so elitist.
Streamline the mod manager so everyone can play.
This means more dumb people will play mods, so Bannerlord will always be high on the steam charts.
More people playing = more money to taleworlds = more content/dlc/games for us from Taleworlds
It all comes back to benefit yourself by helping others

You wont get more streamlined than Vortex...people use it over Zenimax's for all their games. There is a reason why Nexus is so damn popular for so many games...and using Nexusmods = the many millions that use the site noticing its popularity and getting them interested in the game which = it being more popular which = more money to taleworlds which = more content. Not to mention that by using Nexusmods and getting into that community you are possibly adding in 1000s of new people with a relative **** ton of modding experience that have been in a robust community for a very long time which could cause the modding scene for this game to explode! We are talking about the site that has nurtured some of the single most amazing total overhaul mods in history.

That's the thing, though. I don't want to install Vortex or any sort of mod manager - I'll manage them myself. Me and many others simply don't care for these 'novelty' features they offer and simply just want to download a mod or two.

Thus I much prefer pretty much any other mod hosting site that isn't Nexus. But each to their own, I have my opinion about Nexus and you have yours. :giggle:

Steam workshop is a proven concept, it works. Users simply click one button and it's done. Not even once have I had any issue whatsoever subscribing to a mod or uploading a mod. Whereas on Nexus you need to add a bunch of irrelevant information just to upload even the smallest of mods.

Making something unnecessarily convoluted does not make it better. Same way Apple is not better just because it's more expensive.

Oh look at this...someone that doesnt want to us a mod manager "because reasons" that is arguing that another mod manager is great "because of same reason" and he wants to use it.

So long, I will let your own post argue against you...but I WILL laugh at you because you are still arguing in favor of a thing that will not even allow the overwhelming majority of mods that will be coming out for the game since Steam does not allow mods over a very small file size...lol.

Oh look at this...someone that doesnt want to us a mod manager "because reasons" that is arguing that another mod manager is great "because of same reason" and he wants to use it.

What are you even on about? One requires me to install some third party application whereas the other one is embedded into Steam(which I and several other millions of users already have installed) for easy access...?

And stop it with the childish antics, there's no need for that - I assure you it's very possible to hold a discussion, even an argument without it.

I simply don't like NexusMods nor their mod manager, learn to live with the fact that people will have different opinions. So stop trying to enforce your opinion onto others. Thanks ?

What are you even on about? One requires me to install some third party application whereas the other one is embedded into Steam(which I and several other millions of users already have installed) for easy access...?

And stop it with the childish antics, there's no need for that - I assure you it's very possible to hold a discussion, even an argument without it.

I simply don't like NexusMods nor their mod manager, learn to live with the fact that people will have different opinions. So stop trying to enforce your opinion onto others. Thanks ?

You use points that defeats itself and then try to make it sound like someone is childish for pointing it out?

Bannerlord is a game. Steam is a separate piece of software that you had to download to use it. Steam does not allow for large mod files. Its limited. It does nothing to remove conflicts. It does nothing to aid with your mod load order. It is not even being used by Bannerlord for anything to do with mods other than give you a place to upload them to and download them from....and there is no modding community at all in Steam. It literally gives you nothing.

You dont want to use Vortex? Dont use it. As you can plainly see, most others do and right now Nexusmods is getting the mods uploaded to it by the majority of modders because they have been exposed to how great the site is and once more of them take a bigger part in posting on the forums and see how great the community is...that wont change.

So take your own advice,learn to live with the fact that people disagree with you and are going to gravitate to the better community and software no matter how much you prefer the simplistic do nothing but get in the way, Steam. I will also look forward to hearing your future complaint as Steam keeps breaking your mods with forced updates after the game is released while the rest of us will be using a cracked file so we can bypass Steam altogether because we like our mods actually working.

You dont want to use Vortex? Dont use it. As you can plainly see, most others do and right now Nexusmods is getting the mods uploaded to it by the majority of modders because they have been exposed to how great the site is and once more of them take a bigger part in posting on the forums and see how great the community is...that wont change.

First of all, nexus may have hosted some great mods in history, yes, but
to be fair, the actual nexus website itself is very bad. The UI is convoluted and confusing and mod pages are hard to read.
Mod pages usually have a text dump of version history and technical jargon.
It's like a 1999 website compared to a modern 2020 web app for everyone.
This is why I said it's better to have a streamlined easy to use UI for casual players.
Nexusmod is for the PC gamer who is a bit tech savvy.
Bannerlord is huge now, we want to make it as easy as possible for casual gamers to use mods and that starts with modern 2020 UI and ease of use.
No downloading of some kind of elitist external software, navigating through technical text dump of version history and code.
Just open bannerlord launcher, search and select your mods and play. That is it. Everyone can do that.

If this means integrating the vortex software into bannerlord launcher, and that works, then that's cool too

First of all, nexus may have hosted some great mods in history, yes, but
to be fair, the actual nexus website itself is very bad. The UI is convoluted and confusing and mod pages are hard to read.
Mod pages usually have a text dump of version history and technical jargon.
It's like a 1999 website compared to a modern 2020 web app for everyone.
This is why I said it's better to have a streamlined easy to use UI for casual players.
Nexusmod is for the PC gamer who is a bit tech savvy.
Bannerlord is huge now, we want to make it as easy as possible for casual gamers to use mods and that starts with modern 2020 UI and ease of use.
No downloading of some kind of elitist external software, navigating through technical text dump of version history and code.
Just open bannerlord launcher, search and select your mods and play. That is it. Everyone can do that.

If this means integrated the vortex software into bannerlord launcher, and that works, then that's cool too

This is hilarious because one of the biggest complaints on the Nexus forums in 2018 was their move to a modern mobile layout that was graphic based and not wanted by the majority of people because people that use mods for PC games use a Laptop or PC and not a tablet or smartphone so a mobile layout is wasted...PC gamers want quick and easy access to information to get what they want, not graphics based mobile app layouts. You should have thought out your argument better.

So far the only things I have read here against VORTEX, the mod manager, is a desire to use Steam, which is not a mod manager and now a complaint about the Nexusmod website, which isnt even remotely true...and all while attempting to make it sound like the website and the mod manager are the same thing.

And you trying to make it sound like "casual players" need something better than the best modding site on the planet (yeah, most popular by far) is the biggest joke in your argument. BannerlordTweaks has over 47,000 unique downloads already...something tells me that people are having no issues finding and using mods. :oops:

I have an idea. Dont use it. You making arguments that are not going to be believed by anyone that has been there or use it is not accomplishing anything.This isnt even worthy of being called trolling.

This is hilarious because one of the biggest complaints on the Nexus forums in 2018 was their move to a modern mobile layout that was graphic based and not wanted by....

Modern app does not equal mobile design. Not the same thing.
Just because Nexus tried to "modernise" their website look doesn't mean they did it right, because looking at their site now they have not.
Compared to the millions of players out there, you think the average NBA casual gamer is gonna crawl through nexus and work out how to install mods?
You're missing out on a huge audience here.

Last edited:
I removed Vortex almost as soon as i used it on Bannerlord. The fact it forces you to install mods outside of the game directory get already on my nerves. The fact it stores also ton of zip files in appdata is something i do not like either. If i install games on a dedicated drive it's to keep my system drive clean, but all modern apps are so smart that they use system like a trashbin and vortex is one of the worst for this.

That's too bad cause being able to keep mods uptodated is nice. But as the app thinks it's smarter than I and know better how i want to manage my computer, it's a big no.

I removed Vortex almost as soon as i used it on Bannerlord. The fact it forces you to install mods outside of the game directory get already on my nerves. The fact it stores also ton of zip files in appdata is something i do not like either. If i install games on a dedicated drive it's to keep my system drive clean, but all modern apps are so smart that they use system like a trashbin and vortex is one of the worst for this.

That's too bad cause being able to keep mods uptodated is nice. But as the app thinks it's smarter than I and know better how i want to manage my computer, it's a big no.

Exactly, there is also the issue of relying on some third party software built by who knows who.
Just by the above quote, that already sounds bad and unnecessary.
Telling millions of players to: "Hey go install this unknown software made by unknown authors so you can play some mods" doesn't sound all that great.

Hey there,

It seems the conversation has gone a bit off track. To bring it back and to quickly address a few points that have been brought up:

• The need for accounts on Nexus Mods is largely because of our Mod Author Rewards Program. We need to be able to track unique downloads to determine how much of the monthly rewards to allocate to the mod authors who have uploaded mods to our site (and opted into our rewards program). Without being able to determine that, we couldn't run a rewards program, and many many mod authors wouldn't get their share of the ~$23,000 we feed into our rewards program every month.
  • Vortex is the official mod manager of Nexus Mods and we have been in the "mod manager business" for over a decade now! Further, the Bannerlord extension was created by one of our Vortex developers i.e. by someone employed by Nexus Mods. Moreover, the extension is actively being worked on and we are currently adding load order management to it and customising a few features to make Bannerlord support the best it can be. My colleague Pickysaurus and I are in conversation with the Bannerlord community and mod authors in particular to find out what exactly needs to be done to improve upon the extension. If you have any feedback in that regard, do not hesitate to let us know!

That being said, of course, if you prefer to install your mods manually then, by all means, feel free to do that. Vortex and Bannerlord support are here for people who want to have more control over the mods they install and have an easier time managing their mods.

As I said, Bannerlord support and Vortex itself are constantly being worked on. We're soon going to release a substantial update to Vortex. If you're curious to see what's new, keep your eyes peeled for a news post that my colleague Pickysaurus has been working on covering all the recent improvements to various game extensions and Vortex itself.

Back
Top Bottom