Independent Kingdom Support?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murgen

Recruit
I just started playing the mod; it's very impressive.  Has a great feel to it.  Right now I'm commanding a 50 troop army of Planelords that pretty much cuts any force in half before it gets to me.  Is there any support for independent kingdoms in the game?

Not ATM..

That would be kewl though, be able to make, say, your companions lords and like name your kingdom...

Probably a bit impossible with the companion thing... Heheh.. Still that would be frickin kewl.

It's possible, but right now the focus is not on developing player run kingdoms.  The focus is on adding content and quest support for the 5 existing factions.  Down the road, I wouldn't say it not a possibility, but it really doesn't fit the current theme.   

Thanks for responding.  The Native Expansion Mod has a pretty good player run kingdom set-up.  You can hire Lords, have your own companions become Lord-ish (Can grant then fiefs and they recruit their own armies).  It would be great to be able to do that in your much more detailed world.

Murgen said:
Thanks for responding.  The Native Expansion Mod has a pretty good player run kingdom set-up.  You can hire Lords, have your own companions become Lord-ish (Can grant then fiefs and they recruit their own armies).  It would be great to be able to do that in your much more detailed world.

I agree, it's a nice feature to have in a sandbox world.  The current world is being tailored to have more of a storyline aspect.  As things move along, I'll be adding more unique companions and associates and the possibility of building a kingdom may turn up.  I'd probably make it more along the lines of assisting a cause to create a new kingdom with its own specific troops though.  Things would get too unbalanced if the player had access to the best troops from all kingdoms.  There is so much still to do before I'm ready to do that though.

Yep. Especially since Talera starts off in a pretty divided state - once you choose your faction, you can really do a lot to change it. In Native, all kingdoms start off with a nice amount of villages and castles, and have a sturdy little corner of the world; in this, you're either separated by two continents or under threat of invasion.

Murgen said:
I just defeated the Feron tribe and the undead, is there anything else to do?

Hmm, probably not for now.  I'd say you can take a break after all that and wait for the next release.  Grats!

Some kind of end sequence would be cool.  I will probably try it out with the Feron since it seems like more work was put into them.  Not really excited about it since they were easier to beat than the undead.  Unholy Disciples + Gladeborn Rangers is a pretty powerful combination.  I wanted to have a full Planelord/Gladeborn army but I didn't have much success using the Druids or the Swordsmen.  They were great until I hit a tough siege fight.

Few quick questions/bugs:

I think the spawn point for defending troops in Ruins of Shelador was a little off.  I had to kill a few guys through walls to finish it off; they were also stuck on a pair of stairs for a while. 

Is the Athu Ilar sword supposed to come with one of the followers?  I think Jacob was carrying it who was a level 3 or 4 merchant.

Athu Ilar is from release 1, as are the Guardians of Serathar.  This is why they aren't quite balanced with the other things.

The mod is designed/balanced around using one faction's troops. You had the best archers in the game in addition to some strong cavalry (which the Planelords aren't designed to use), which I'm sure makes things fairly easy.  I let people play the way they want, but I recommend resisting the temptation to use another faction's troops.

The swordsmen and druids are meant to have weaknesses (lower armor, lower health).  They also swing extremely quickly and move very fast.  If they were as powerful as other faction's infantry, what would be the Planelord weakness?  Each faction has a weakness/flaw, and this is done on purpose. 

Still, the faction changes I am working on, including the new abilities, will help towards both improving their abilities and enforcing faction uniformity.  The factions that are suffering against the Rangers, as you stated, the Feron, will have some new tricks up their sleeve to deal with those pesky ranged attackers.... 

Thanks for the feedback and it sounds like you had a good time.  Hope to see you around when the next release comes out.

So what's the Feron's flaw? i think they're pretty much of a pwn-pack when at fairly high tier... Cavalry has nothing 2 do against their fat axes, + they're very fast... so what's theire flaw? :eek:

They get turned into pincushions when under withering fire from large numbers of Gladeborn Rangers or similarily strong ranged units.

Lord Corentin said:
They get turned into pincushions when under withering fire from large numbers of Gladeborn Rangers or similarily strong ranged units.

Very true.  They lack much ranged power, mostly relying on melee or short ranged axe throwing which is fairly inaccurate.  They also lack cavalry to quickly engage enemy ranged troops with. 

Also, Feron weaknesses off the top of my head:

Asaleth Knights can ride them down with their lances pretty easily if they don't get tied up (don't stop moving).
Illoriaons carry shields and are heavily armored as well. 
The Blighted Plague have vast numbers and a decent mix of defensive (Blightlord line) and offensive (Fallen Hero line) infantry, whereas the Feron are all out offense. 
Planelords can drop many of them before they even reach their front line.

Faction abilities in battle will work to compensate, on a limited basis, for some of these weaknesses.  I am almost ready to announce exactly how the new abilities will operate, but I am still finishing them up.

Yeah, I have found that the Feron's axes, while looking formidable against calavary, are quite pathetic against them and they usually die the fastest from calavary in my games..

Darkstar707 said:
Yeah, I have found that the Feron's axes, while looking formidable against calavary, are quite pathetic against them and they usually die the fastest from calavary in my games..

Yep. I'd say that's more though because of the AI, if anything. They tend to swing as you ride past, instead of before you reach them, so they get hit first/lose any chance at hitting the horse.

I've found the Ferons wicked against cavalry!  I line them up with archers in the front, then seconds before the cavalry hits I order charge.  This bunches them up a bit better (Feron are in line, cavalry is usually in a column), and they just tear the riders off their horses (I think I even saw a berserker bite through the jugular of a horse).  Then the few remaining knights run around and seem to do more damage than the initial full strength charge.

The archer thing is sad though.  In a plain there is no hope; in hills there is a chance if you can use terrain for cover.

As for the indie kingdom support in the far distant future, I would say seeing as this is story driven, it should be a quest.  A nasty horrible quest, fraught with danger and immense risk- though risks are not a problem for the save gamers, but what can one do.  A crown is the ultimate prize, and the challenges should be worthy of it.  Of course, its easy for me to say.

Perhaps I'll study modding and try pitch in, but first I hear Krug calling me, and he gets cranky when I'm late!

Lord Bryggan said:
I've found the Ferons wicked against cavalry!  I line them up with archers in the front, then seconds before the cavalry hits I order charge.  This bunches them up a bit better (Feron are in line, cavalry is usually in a column), and they just tear the riders off their horses (I think I even saw a berserker bite through the jugular of a horse). 

That is classic  :smile:    The Feron are certainly a brutal bunch.  Gotta hand it to them though, they know what they want and how to get it.  Leave no enemy alive!

Lord Bryggan said:
I've found the Ferons wicked against cavalry!  I line them up with archers in the front, then seconds before the cavalry hits I order charge.  This bunches them up a bit better (Feron are in line, cavalry is usually in a column), and they just tear the riders off their horses (I think I even saw a berserker bite through the jugular of a horse).  Then the few remaining knights run around and seem to do more damage than the initial full strength charge.

The archer thing is sad though.  In a plain there is no hope; in hills there is a chance if you can use terrain for cover.

As for the indie kingdom support in the far distant future, I would say seeing as this is story driven, it should be a quest.  A nasty horrible quest, fraught with danger and immense risk- though risks are not a problem for the save gamers, but what can one do.  A crown is the ultimate prize, and the challenges should be worthy of it.  Of course, its easy for me to say.

Perhaps I'll study modding and try pitch in, but first I hear Krug calling me, and he gets cranky when I'm late!

Heh, great news if you want to help us. We're always on the look out (and sometimes desperately needing) new blood :razz:!

I'd love to help- unfortunately I'm a bit of a PC dork.  Still, with dialogue and such I can be put to work.  I looked at the FAQs for making quests, and that thread seems to have disappeared.  Still, it seems like a great hobby, one which is really appreciated by people, unlike say stamp collecting or model building.

Back
Top Bottom