MP (Imagining Commander Battle 2.0) A solid bridge between SP and MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terco_Viejo

Spanish Gifquisition
Grandmaster Knight
Since the first moment I heard about Captain Mode, I conceived it in my head as a clash of armies of bots controlled by a determined number of players in a massive multiplayer scenario. These players, maneuvering the whole team through concerted moves to achieve a tactical victory over their opponent. I certainly imagined something much more focused on what was and still is the Commander Mode of Napoleonic Wars:

Nowadays the Captain mode is more towards a much smaller, mousetrapped gameplay; small maps, use of common elements and/or dynamics such as control flags or skirmish mode morale, etc...Honestly, I think that the link between SP and MP mode would come from a massive mode, both in bots, in scene size and in a tactical fight without quarter to the last man standing.

I'm not going to invent the wheel, but rather to unite possibilities:

Imagine for a moment an idyllic scenario where the AI would work properly, the optimization would support twice as many agents (at least) as the current Captain mode offers and already in a "fantastic" way, an advanced tactical system like the one I told you about a few days ago (Sprinkling the strategy: Advanced tactics with radial menu).

With that scenario in mind, I'd like to tell you how I imagine Commander Battle 2.0 in Bannerlord, which draws from two sources, the Sergeant mode (now known as Order of Battle) in which there is a hierarchy established by the party general, and the vast scenario offered by the Napoleonic Wars Commander Battle mode.

Let's get down to business:
Battlefield
If we look back at the Dev Blog 14/09/17 we can read in it the following paragraph:

" The size of scenes is generally around 4 km square, which is much larger than in Warband, and scene creation is much faster. We developed lots of new editing tools for objects, terrain and flora for the scene designers to use. We have an advanced terrain system which can support up to 16 layers per scene, with no restriction on layers used per node. Also, the designers now have access to a scene upgrade level system, (a scene masking system which is used in siege scenes to allow level 1-3 castles to be placed in one scene,) and a new weather system, (which is used for creating different weather versions of the scene.) With all of the CPU and hard drive optimisations we try to achieve <1 second loading times on these bigger scenes."

A 4km square map would offer players a maneuverability that today's Captain mode maps do not offer. Vast maps with no props, set in natural areas like those belonging to the custom battle; only orography and flora. To achieve the effect that each game will be different on the same map, the spawning should be moved from the current static to a random octagonal spawning. Therefore the teams would randomly mirror-spawn each game in one of the 8 positions.

t34cE.jpg
feDMs.jpg

With this, what we are favoring is tactical improvisation in this mode as opposed to monotonous map deployments in the Captain mode; sow to the same target, always the same strategic point. Currently in NW Commander Battle we have the possibility to spawn with a higher number of agents than the Bannerlord's Captain mode offers. I am confident that the new engine is powerful enough to increase the number of agents on screen at least twice as much in a stable way.

Commander

Rarely, in Captain mode, the planets are aligned and the players work as a team, carrying out flanking tactics, coverages, etc. However, in most games, as it is a pre-designed fast-paced mode where the first thing is to rush the flags to make the morale of the opponent collapse, pure team play is diluted.

In this Commander Battle 2.0 mode there are no flag or morale dynamics; this is a last man standing battle mode with a commander for each side. Since the spawning takes place randomly, the commander proclamation would be carried out in the same way. The game would automatically draw for the role of commander at the start of each game. Some people may wonder, shouldn't the player of each side with the highest level be assigned the role of commander? Yes, but I certainly think that giving the possibility of commanding any rank makes this a much more exciting experience. (*Optional - open for discussion) The commander of the winning side could win a + bonus of XP for getting that role and winning the game at the same time.

So, how does the commander command? If in my previous feedback I mentioned "radial menu" and this one worked through the mouse central button, the orders in this mode would be carried out through another radial menu (Q key).

iMWKu.jpg
_5_f0.jpg

We can see that in the upper part of the menu the players' avatars are displayed as in the Captain mode, but they have been assigned a battalion number (the commanding player could have a distinctive symbol; maybe a star).

Both the commander and the other players operate their main unit with the side order panel (F1/F5). In an idyllic scenario we have said that we would also have the possibility to carry out the "advanced tactics" like the ones mentioned in Sprinkling the strategy: Advanced tactics with radial menu. However the commander, using the Q radial menu could give "basic" orders to each of the divisions (teammates 1-6 key). What the user would see on the screen if the commander ordered something, would be basically a notification board like the one for the battle order function.

Would it be allowed for an assigned commander not to use the Q menu? Yes, of course she/he could; just as the user in a subordinate role has the right to follow his commander's orders or not.

So, what does this mode provide? It brings fun through orchestrated teamwork in a large-scale strategy scenario in massive M&B-style battles, where the important thing is discipline towards the commander as well as the commander towards his subordinates in a total annihilation mode.

What do you think? Is there room for a mode like this in Bannerlord?
I drop a poll to see the general interest.

Would be cool to have multiple players on each team who would be specialized commanders for different types of units.
For example, a overall commander could tell his infantry captain to do “x” in “y” type of Formation, and then could tell his Cavalry captain to flank behind the enemy position and charge them in “z” formation

edit: VOIP would be nice for this mode

this along side with a battle mode would be very beneficial to the game, the use of the plain maps/ random spawns would be interesting, as it is easier for the gameplay not to become monotonous when maps aren't hand-crafted to play in a specific way

since they are hinting at pseudo-custom servers next patch (possibly), I'm exited to participate in any community events that attempt to break away from the normal bannerlord gameplay.

Last edited:
This is how I too imagined captain mode. I was extremely disappointed to see YouTube videos showing what captain mode looked like before I bought ea but I bought it anyways.

I think increasing numbers of bots as well as providing fully fleshed order options like you described in your other thread is absolutely necessary and everyone would love it more than the game’s current state.

I absolutely agree with the points on map size and terrain. I think for sure there is room for this. My expectations of mp were absolutely to have terrain and trees be the major considerations of a fight like it is in sp. The scenes are so beautiful I have no clue why on earth they didn’t just include a few sp battle scenes on rotation and mirror spawn like you described and let us have at it. A mode like this would allow us to experience the different stages of a battle where the opposing sides would first scout, then skirmish, and finally close. The absence of these phases makes captain mode feel, as another poster put it, more like a “bar-room brawl”.

The only criticism I have is the inclusion of a commander role above the other players. I too have long thought about how to implement such a structure in a game but I believe that it is a matter that is best left to decide amongst the players in chat without any ui implementation.

Last edited:
+1. Great thread! I'd enjoy any work to make a bot command mode more appealing. I love Captains mode and I really feel it's the bridge between SP & MP this game needs!

9 votes and unanimous agreement. I really do hope tw sees this and adjusts captain mode. I feel bad for the people who designed the captain maps but I do think they’re better suited for skirmish. The chokepoints are far too numerous and the lanes are far too restrictive.

I would do everything in my power to avoid village battles in sp but it seems like we’re locked into it in mp.

Last edited:
9 votes and unanimous agreement. I really do hope tw sees this and adjusts captain mode. I feel bad for the people who designed the captain maps but I do think they’re better suited for skirmish. The chokepoints are far too numerous and the lanes are far too restrictive.

I would do everything in my power to avoid village battles in sp but it seems like we’re locked into it in mp.
I actually really like the Dunes map - i think that should be the standard of what captains mode maps should be like. Multiple avenues of approach with wide open spaces - room to manuevre and opportunities to use all classes in a valid way.

The streets map though - is such a shame. It looks amazing but it doesn't work for captains mode. Same with the others really - aesthetically brilliant just too restrictive.

Shall I tell you the actual map i want to play captains mode on? Basically a big open plains field with a couple of shallow hills and forests and maybe a small hamlet for the centre objective .

Yes please man that would be so cool. Tw please!

I don’t know the dunes map I haven’t played it. If at all like the desert map in sp I can definitely see it being excellent for captain.

Ah I haven’t played that one either but a quick google search let me see what it looks like. Very beautiful!

I really think wider, more open maps would lead to gameplay where player characters would group together and hang back while putting their troops forward. A few more changes would be beneficial, like the option to have formations walk forward instead of sprinting at each other like they currently do. That would be cool huh? Each “captain” can also have the option to spawn in on a mount at first and thus the players themselves would be like a cavalry unit. I’ve played a lot of total war and would love to see some elements from that game incorporated here, hero proximity to ai increasing morale for instance. I think others would like it as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom