I want to buy bannerlord. But not with steam

Users who are viewing this thread

1. friends nagging me to join their pvp while I try to enjoy single player
2. updates of a program that I don't need, I just want to play the game.
3. extra burden on:
a) processing power,
b) bandwith
4. time it takes to load game (first steam needs to load, then update/check for updates, before the game launbches)
5. steam requiers internet connection, even despite it being able to run in offline mode, it is not without a hickup
6. and that extra calculating power costs electricity, therefore it costs money, no matter how small, still it does.

In my opinion best anti piracy was implemented in Witcher 3.

I do hope TW will make a steam free version.

play steam offline, end of story :wink: its what i do 99.99% of the time

Well, as other people already obliterated all the moronic "reasons" on why not to use steam, I'll just say this

Wait for full release and get it on GOG, it will be there at some point.

EA is likely steam only in order to control the patching process. I would imagine the full release will be different. You should probably wait until full release if you dont know how to hide your status in Steam.
Not a matter of showing/hiding status in my case. Years ago, before Steam revamped its security, someone apparently hacked one of my game's codes, and as a result, Steam wiped my entire library, no appeal, no recourse...for THEIR security issue. Since then, I will not deal with them, whether I'm allowed to again or not (not sure of the legal status on that after all this time, but it's not worth my time to check).

On top of that, I've got to use offline mode 100% of the time, because my gaming PC is on an upper floor of a building with no phone/internet connection to the upper floors, and only lethargic dial-up available downstairs. I have to tear down the system, haul it to work to use their high-speed connection after-hours, and then drag it back home and up the stairs again. Not fun, and having Steam tell me that it has to "verify" my game is a non-starter for me. Not sure how much has changed in a decade or so, but doing business with them would still feel like a "pact with the devil" to me. GOG, Amazon, and a couple of other services have covered 90% of what I want, and I just have to wait until the other 10% become available through alternate sources aside from Steam. Hopefully Bannerlord won't be one of them, once it gets a proper release.

Don't be a cry baby and download steam.
I want to buy an ice cream but first I need to go through a line of people and walk to the shop WHAAAT? Why can't I just get the ice cream.

Is it, or will it ever be possible to get this game without any steamy hindrance?

guess you dont know, but you can launch Steam without the browser (no store, etc), just your library. And even skip it and go for the game

create a shortcut like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -no-browser -applaunch 261550

Although I can live with Steam, I can feel OP.
I can remember my experiences with Origin, Epic Games Store, Bethesda Launcher and many more. "Why do I have to download their whole store, app, and soft dependencies? I just need a game." - kinda the same experience.

The OP's list is maybe just on-the-fly references. But I can feel why and when "a customer" explains like that.

Don't be a cry baby and download steam.
I want to buy an ice cream but first I need to go through a line of people and walk to the shop WHAAAT? Why can't I just get the ice cream.
Guys n' girls, sometimes people just don't want to download so many 'wrapper apps'. That's their adult preferences. You are just living up to your name :smile:

Jeez, people can be real jerks sometimes. The guy's just asking if he can buy the game without Steam. Its a simple question. He shouldn't have to explain his reasons or justify his life choices to anybody when a simple yes/no is all he needs.

Jeez, people can be real jerks sometimes. The guy's just asking if he can buy the game without Steam. Its a simple question. He shouldn't have to explain his reasons or justify his life choices to anybody when a simple yes/no is all he needs.
He doesnt need to justify anything, he chose to tell us why and the reasons were addressed. It's on him (or her).

Ok but why so hostile?

I'm not hostile, just being direct. I answered the OP that it probably wont be off steam until its released. I suggested that if he can't figure out how to make himself hidden on Steam then maybe Early Access may not be best for him. I mean, it's kinda buggy and incomplete. I love it but I understand how to fill out a bug report.

There are enough people complaining on forum.

I'm not hostile, just being direct. I answered the OP that it probably wont be off steam until its released. I suggested that if he can't figure out how to make himself hidden on Steam then maybe Early Access may not be best for him. I mean, it's kinda buggy and incomplete. I love it but I understand how to fill out a bug report.

There are enough people complaining on forum.

I think you are projecting your (legitimate) frustration from other threads to OP. Not wanting to buy through Steam seems perfectly legitimate to me, and it's not like he/she is raging over it. And sorry, but you are basically implying that OP is dumb, which is definitely hostile. And unnecessary.

Thank you all for the comments, I found many entertaining.
I am humbled and grateful to my noble defenders.
I am also glad that I am not the only one who wishes this game not to be on steam.
I hope it'll sway TaleWorlds to release it on other platforms or as a direct download.

What a weird hill to die on.
For bloody real. Anyone can just download and create an account on steam in 10 minutes max and get access to tens of thousands of -- pretty much all popular and unpopular games. The reasons listed by OP are so laughably trivial and some even just made up, he plain and simply makes a fool of himself.

Disliking or distrusting the platform however I can understand.

I totally understand. I don't like steam - I use it because I have to, because it's way easier and still know its a f'ing company that sucks money out of developers and allows scammers to steal from you while doing the minimum they have to against those (i.e. fake games, there are/were a lot)

Taking 20% of your income just for publicity and servers is much and I totally understand that someone wants to support the developers directly by buying from them without the gold-chain pimp in between

Steam is a hub, they offer much, yeah, I get it but still there are also downsides to using the system

Inappropriate content
I like steam only because of regional pricing but.. <snip> Whatever resource it uses, no matter how small, is eating from a capacity that again, you paid for so I think it's a very legitimate request for some people.

Apparently, criticizing some aspects of Steam and talking about DRM efficiency in general breaks the "rules". Reason was "talks of piracy" whatever that means..

Last edited:
I totally understand. I don't like steam - I use it because I have to, because it's way easier and still know its a f'ing company that sucks money out of developers and allows scammers to steal from you while doing the minimum they have to against those (i.e. fake games, there are/were a lot)

Taking 20% of your income just for publicity and servers is much and I totally understand that someone wants to support the developers directly by buying from them without the gold-chain pimp in between

Steam is a hub, they offer much, yeah, I get it but still there are also downsides to using the system
It also gives many games an opportunity to be shown in front of an audience of millions while server hosting is also very expensive.

Take Domina - a fun little indy game about managing a gladiator school. On steam it has sold a not -insignificant amount of copies considering it was made pretty much by one guy. Without steam I doubt I would ever heard of it.

With two factor security - steam is very very safe these days. It has had 17 years to get it right...

Back
Top Bottom