I owned it. I want it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Doofus

Sergeant
I'm getting tired of losing towns, even when i lead the kingdom, because some prick kingdom declared war on the other side of our kingdom and took my town before I could get there. Then I take it back and even though I'm leader AND I held the town before AND I led the army that took it back, I'm not even one of the 3 choices. I think having previously held the town before the war started should automatically qualify you as one of the candidates to get a town/castle. I've had that happen at least 3 times in this game, although I think one of the three was prior to me becoming ruler.

Last edited:
What if you can have it, but need to trade in some other fief if you are drowning in fiefs. That's both fair (according to the who-gets-the-fief algorithm) and maintains this "dibs are forever" rule.
This should also benefit other fellow nobles - when you recover their former property, they get to decide if they want it, possibly in exchange for some other fief they have, if they have too many.
Or just let the citizens democratically decide, what is this, the middle ages?

Kind of along these lines...I think when they give you the vote on who gets it, they should give you more info: It should list how many towns & castles they have and what their current culture is. I sometimes review this prior to clicking on the decision thing, but since I don't even know who the candidates are at that time, it makes it hard. Also, regarding culture, I believe its based on the clan leader. But if the clan leader is Khuzait, but he marries an aserai, then dies, doesn't the culture change to Aserai? This can make a big difference when you are trying to assign a town and avoid a rebellion.

Kind of along these lines...I think when they give you the vote on who gets it, they should give you more info: It should list how many towns & castles they have and what their current culture is.
You can click on their portrait in the voting screen and it will bring up their entry in the encyclopedia.

The game balances the fiefs... those with few or no fiefs go on the vote, as do those who own fiefs nearby. This is a good thing, as it helps your lords cluster their lands in defendable groups, and landless lords are more likely to leave your empire.

If you're not on the list, it means you have a fair number of fiefs yourself already. This isn't unprecedented either. Kingship evolved out of the principle of providing for those who support the king - sharing the spoils of war - slaves, treasure, land. Absolute leaders who kept everything and never distributed wealth pushed supporters away to others who did share. It was true of Rome, it was true of feudal Europe, Imperial China and it's true of dictatorships today.

Moral of the story is that sharing is good for your kingdom. Don't be so greedy.

Last edited:
If you owned a fief and lost it, you have proven yourself unable to care for your fief, which makes you unworthy of being awarded it again.

Clovis...unless you are an NPC and lost it to rebellion. In which case, we'll give it to you 10 straight times. Your theory wouldn't be bad if the rest of the game worked that way, but it doesn't. Also, again, if I'm fighting the Aserai (because my idiot lords can't win without me) and Sturgia declares war on us, I can't reach Sibir in time to defend it (No, some other lord in my faction owns it, but this is the example). It wouldn't matter if it had 200 defenders or 600 it would be the first place they would attack because they have strong armies at the start of war and they want the towns.

Yesterday our faction held Lycaron (not me personally). We were fighting Vlandia, who had declared war against us even though they had nothing bordering us. They kept besieging Diathma...sometimes taking it and losing it again, sometimes stopped before taking it. We had 3 armies in the area, which is not far from Lycaron. The Northern Empire declared war on us and besieged Lycaron. 2 of the 3 armies ignored the siege and went to towns farther away, presumably to restock troops or something (which is better done by breaking up the army). The 3rd and largest started heading there but because it was so slow Lycaron fell before they got there. They paused briefly considering what to do next, then decided to besiege Lycaron. They went about 2 village lengths, then stopped and headed for a town, presumably out of food. The other 2 continued to ignore the situation. So basically, I have 3 lords hogging armies doing nothing so I can't even form an army to take back Lycaron.

Anteus...Do I have more towns than any other lord? Yes. Do I lead the armies that take (or retake) at least 1/2 the holdings we get in wars? Yes. Do I hop in battles and support a significant amount of the armies I don't lead that take territories? Yes. Do I deserve more holdings because i am more effective? Yes. Incidentally, when I am able to recruit a new lord to our faction I immediately give him a castle from my own holdings to make sure he stays with us. Usually one thats safe and away from war borders. I'm running out of castles to give away though. No, I don't take all the towns we take and don't even vote for myself every time I am nominated. I do want to have a holding near each of our borders though. Central and northern I'm OK on, but I have yet to get a holding near the southern border, which is probably why the border with the Aserai has stagnated. I don't have a place to store lords or excess prisoners I want to recruit from. I don't have a garrison I can sift some better troops out of from time to time.

Clovis, apparently you ignored my whole post. ANY town/castle can be taken at the start of a war regardless of how much defense you have there. Also, I'm not asking for 'first dibs', I'm asking for consideration. I'm not asking for it just because I held it before, I'm asking for the opportunity to take it because " I'm leader AND I held the town before AND I led the army that took it back". Tell me what some other lord did to deserve it? Have you played the game? I'm not talking about wanting a fief back lost to rebellion. Tell me what other lords did to lose their town, have the faction take it back and have NPC ruler give it back to them, then it rebels again, then its taken back, then the NPC ruler gives it to them again, etc.. Why should they get the town back when it rebels, but I shouldn't get it back when lost to war?

I think the king should always be considered for the vote or have a button in the bottom that costs influence to claim a town. I personally give away towns to my clans to help them get richer, quality armies are much more fun to command then wretched rabbles. Some clans with merciless traits i keep them poor and with one castle only.
I understand where you are coming from and that's why i recommend installing the Diplomacy mod. You can claim towns you conquer yourself and bypass the vote altogether. You can even use this feature to gift a fief to someone who was not gonna appear on the vote.

I suppose I should apologize to Clovis. While I don't agree with him...again because A) its not a failure on your part if an army of 1500+ takes your holding when you can't even be there to defend it & B) there's a lot of factors that should have let me considered...I still shouldn't have personally attacked him.

I don't have a problem with losing influence and relations with lords when I take a town/castle myself. But I still feel that there's a number of factors that should be considered. Anteus even mentioned one I didn't. In 2 of the 3 situations I didn't get considered I was one of 2 people who had fiefs bordering the fief I lost. I'll also mention that pretty soon I'll be less concerned about new towns as I'm starting to be able to afford having 4 parties. Although it would probably continue to be better to have towns/castles on the border and give away the ones deep in our territory.

You can click on their portrait in the voting screen and it will bring up their entry in the encyclopedia.
I tried. It won't let me. Prior to the voting screen I could, but unless I'm doing something wrong, I can't get to teh encyclopedia in any way from the voting scree.

The one who lost it doesn't deserve it...give them a village to start with
So if an enemy army attacks your town with 1500 troops and you are fighting another war on the other side of your faction its your fault you lost it? Do you keep a minimum of 750 troops in each of your towns, Obadoo? Besides, you can't give someone a village. Its either a castle or a town. Some of you people apparently are still in the first grade.

So if an enemy army attacks your town with 1500 troops and you are fighting another war on the other side of your faction its your fault you lost it? Do you keep a minimum of 750 troops in each of your towns, Obadoo? Besides, you can't give someone a village. Its either a castle or a town. Some of you people apparently are still in the first grade.
I would say yes, because you have not care for your town.
A fully upgraded town with 10k prosperity, can have more than 1500 defenders.

My towns have all 600 men garrisons and atleast 500 militia.
No NPCs is going to attack my towns, they don't try it.

I assume you use mods, Emperor. If I have more than about 500 total troops in a town I'm losing money and i need the money to support the parties. I suppose if your troops are all recruits or something maybe more, but most of my towns have a variety of troop levels in the garrison. Plus, the towns I'm talking about are fairly close to the border & I haven't held them more than a month or so. I'm currently at the stage where I'm fighting 2 to 3 wars at a time and within a day or two of one war ending another starts. I don't have time to just wander around picking up troops for a couple months. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you play at a different level. I play at 'easy' level. Maybe 'easiest' provides for more money.

I assume you use mods, Emperor. If I have more than about 500 total troops in a town I'm losing money and i need the money to support the parties. I suppose if your troops are all recruits or something maybe more, but most of my towns have a variety of troop levels in the garrison. Plus, the towns I'm talking about are fairly close to the border & I haven't held them more than a month or so. I'm currently at the stage where I'm fighting 2 to 3 wars at a time and within a day or two of one war ending another starts. I don't have time to just wander around picking up troops for a couple months. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you play at a different level. I play at 'easy' level. Maybe 'easiest' provides for more money.
No mods.
I know how to play the game.
You must appoint the right governors and raise the prosperity over 10k.
A town over 10k prosperity makes 5k Denars per day
A Garnison with 500 elite troops cost 5k Denars, but can be reduced with empire culture, the 20% discount is really strong.

The governor's effect from the "Master of Warcraft" Perk is a strong effect, because it reduce the needed food for the town's population.

And the Steward Skill is the fastet skill to level up.

Back
Top Bottom