I love BannerLord.

Users who are viewing this thread

How to overcome .block Delay:

As a former Warband player, we are used to readying attack, and perhaps launching into a block, if we see an attack coming. THIs got me killed alot because of block delay in bannerlord.

To overcome, I trained myself, to keep my finger off the attack key, when I am being attacked. It took some time, but eventually I adapted into my playstyle, and my problem is in the past. When it is the "turn": of your opponent to attack, you must remove your finger from the attack button, so your warband instincts don't take over. Trust meit works.

Given time and patience, good players at warband will become good players in Bannerlord. Because the reason we got good,at Warband had nothing to do with mechanics but our mentality to master what was presented to us.
Helped me also a lot and if someone thinks he can feint-spam you, there are also other options you have as well. Can't say the echo chamber would find out about that, since they don't play the game. All these people claiming they'd block this and that and this... I'd like to actually see it then, if block delay is removed.

What I want to say is that block delay may be a turnoff for those who want to super feint spam all the time (I found it annoying in Warband as well to be honest...) but it's not as horrible as described sometimes in this forum. I agree that you can abuse animation, but what makes me think is that there are people who are able to consistently block most if not all hits on a duel server. And I know that these people are most likely not cheating. They're just good and dominate duel servers, where you can ***** most about the block delay.

What I want to stress is that I am not a fanboy, there's a considerable amount of combat I'd like to see changed and I also want the "block delay" being lowered (the exact amount of lowering the block delay can be discussed with me openly), but not completely removed, but I'd like to maintain one point: some people simply will not accept that a sequel can be different. They will want Warband 2 and will not shut up until it's delivered, even if it never gets delivered. However, it's usual for games to do that and for communities to split along these lines with some preferring the prequel.
What is very sad is that TW is moving very slow on MP improvement, balancing, changes and new content, since it's direly needed. You get bored by three (atm just two) skirmish maps, you get fed up with archer spam and cav spam. Skirmish queue is nearly empty sadly due to this and this is not due to block delay alone and those who are still playing frequently and daily are usually affiliated with some sort of team trying to prove their worth against other teams. With class limits skirmish can be a lot of fun actually. But that should be a quick fix, not a permanent solution. Many are also preparing for the upcoming tournament and I fear the worst might happen after that tournament if not a new tournament is started immediately after... And that's sad.

Btw, before the fanboy or casual argument is thrown in my face again: I joined this franchise 2010, played competitive for years, tried mods, yadda yadda yadda. I just quit 2018, when I finally had enough of it.

Last edited:
Helped me also a lot and if someone thinks he can feint-spam you, there are also other options you have as well. Can't say the echo chamber would find out about that, since they don't play the game. All these people claiming they'd block this and that and this... I'd like to actually see it then, if block delay is removed.

What I want to say is that block delay may be a turnoff for those who want to super feint spam all the time (I found it annoying in Warband as well to be honest...) but it's not as horrible as described sometimes in this forum. I agree that you can abuse animation, but what makes me think is that there are people who are able to consistently block most if not all hits on a duel server. And I know that these people are most likely not cheating. They're just good and dominate duel servers, where you can ***** most about the block delay.

What I want to stress is that I am not a fanboy, there's a considerable amount of combat I'd like to see changed and I also want the "block delay" being lowered (the exact amount of lowering the block delay can be discussed with me openly), but not completely removed, but I'd like to maintain one point: some people simply will not accept that a sequel can be different. They will want Warband 2 and will not shut up until it's delivered, even if it never gets delivered. However, it's usual for games to do that and for communities to split along these lines with some preferring the prequel.
What is very sad is that TW is moving very slow on MP improvement, balancing, changes and new content, since it's direly needed. You get bored by three (atm just two) skirmish maps, you get fed up with archer spam and cav spam. Skirmish queue is nearly empty sadly due to this and this is not due to block delay alone and those who are still playing frequently and daily are usually affiliated with some sort of team trying to prove their worth against other teams. With class limits skirmish can be a lot of fun actually. But that should be a quick fix, not a permanent solution. Many are also preparing for the upcoming tournament and I fear the worst might happen after that tournament if not a new tournament is started immediately after... And that's sad.

Btw, before the fanboy or casual argument is thrown in my face again: I joined this franchise 2010, was part of the competitive scene for years, tried mods, yadda yadda yadda. I just quit 2018, when I finally had enough of it.
Most of those people have played during the beta when the game was even less to what you see now.

I didn't see you during the beta participate.

There is no echo-chamber, just plain ignorance on your part.

Most of those people have played during the beta when the game was even less to what you see now.

I didn't see you during the beta participate.

There is no echo-chamber, just plain ignorance on your part.
Phew, another of these casual claims, eh? I have the beta badge as well. So. Yeah. Thanks. ^^
But interesting, I actually went through different points, you ignored them all and went straight ad hominem again with this ****.

Edit: you could easily run a salt mine.

Phew, another of these casual claims, eh? I have the beta badge as well. So. Yeah. Thanks. ^^
But interesting, I actually went through different points, you ignored them all and went straight ad hominem again with this ****.

Edit: you could easily run a salt mine.
No because i'm avoiding a constant back and forth again that was happening during the beta all the time and its honestly tiring after almost a year :wink::wink::wink:

I would rather argue with Tork because i can still have a laugh with him at least.

Not even the maps are made correctly, why should I praise the game that simply isn’t good MP-wise?

And no, there’s no one who can block everything in Bannerlord, sorry to tell you, but as I said, some attack transitions or “feints” are unblockable and don’t really have a counter. Not to mention you can’t block 2 people almost at once - something which had been an important part of survivability in Warband. If having a polished and good game combat-wise means to have Warband 2.0, I honestly don’t give a shi*. But Bannerlord is nowhere near Warband’s quality, if it had been, it would have been noticeable to everyone.

I would rather argue with Tork because i can still have a laugh with him at least.
fc2f50feff5717f92ec99e10c629e225.jpg

Btw, before the fanboy or casual argument is thrown in my face again: I joined this franchise 2010, played competitive for years, tried mods, yadda yadda yadda. I just quit 2018, when I finally had enough of it.

I've seen you making this "echo chamber" and "warband 2.0" argument on loads of threads now, so I think it's worth actually responding to at this point.

What is an echo chamber? A closed community that repeats the same ideas to each other and reinforces their belief in them. How was Bannerlord developed? In a closed community that constantly repeated the same ideas to each other for 8 years. I genuinely believe that a lot of Bannerlord's problems can be attributed to how closed the development process was and how little community input there was. Systems like the class system clearly came to exist as a result of this echo chamber.

I would block this and that, I can do it in Warband where the block delay is minimal:

My blocking videos are all from a time when I wasn't particularly good at multi-person blocking either.

Why does that matter?

It's not just pure reactions to block against multiple players at once, because even with the minimal block delay in Warband you cannot consistently react fast enough to block for a prolonged period of time against several incoming attacks. It requires predictive blocking and pre-blocking. This means you need to look at their movement and angling to predict which direction they'll use, you need to block immediately and adjust in a split-second if you guess wrong. This is impossible in Bannerlord not only because it has a larger flat block delay, but primarily because of the variable block delay. The weapon takes longer to travel across your body to block and you cannot always reliably control where you're moving in 1vX because you are forced to move away from where the enemies are. This means it is basically impossible to properly utilise the stance system whilst defending in 1vX, a problem which is exacerbated by the fact that stances do not switch instantly upon pressing A or D so you cannot even tap the corresponding movement key along with the corresponding block to overcome the block delay. It also means that if you guess wrong and pre-block to the left, but the attack is actually coming from the right, you have much less time to adjust to the correct block because there is a larger block delay for the extra travel time/depending on your stance/depending on your weapon + the larger flat block delay.

This makes a skill-based 1vX impossible. I say skill-based, because it is still possible to win against multiple players if they are considerably worse or if you have a shield, or if you use the movement problems to kite hard with a long weapon, but it is not possible to directly confront multiple skilled players without a shield and win through mechanical prowess.

A common misconception is that those skill-based 1vX moments were only accessible to some "veteran" "elite" Warband group and nobody else had anything like that. While a 1vX that I do might look different to a 1vX that a siege player with 200 hours pulls off, the feeling when you play better than your normal level, or when you successfully take out multiple enemies alone is very satisfying. In Bannerlord a 1vX frustrates me, because I know I'm pressing my right click fast enough that the block would go up in Warband, but that the only reason it isn't in BL is because the variable block delay stops it from working. I'm sure in some of those cases I actually didn't press it fast enough, and that I would have died in Warband too, but it provides a permanent excuse and a permanent nag in your head whilst you play. It always feels like if your block didn't go up in time it must have been the block delay. In my case that is genuinely the case more often than not, but even in those cases where I probably didn't press it in time the feeling that I was cheated by the game is still there because I know the block delay exists. I know I'm not alone in that feeling, but I won't try to claim some arbitrary percentage of people agrees with me.

It is not hard to block normal attacks in Bannerlord. That is not the issue. The issue with block delay in duel stems from the fact that attack direction switching is faster than block direction switching. You can out-feint the block delay. Seriously. It's not easy to do and isn't really a skill because you can only really set it up in a controlled environment, but the fact it exist at all is a severe demonstration of the issue.

I don't know why the argument that block delay helps players with high ping exists. I find it FAR easier to play with 220 ping in Warband than with 100 ping in Bannerlord. Before I get called out for that being nonsense, here's some proof:

Playing with high ping in Bannerlord means the flat block delay gets stacked with the variable block delay, which gets stacked with your stance, which gets stacked with your weapon which gets stacked with the ping delay. It feels awful playing with that ping and I seriously believe it wouldn't even be possible to block a basic attack with 200 ping in Bannerlord, whilst in Warband you can block consistently up to about 250.

I agree with you that MP is lacking a lot of other content too, and that it is severely contributing to the problem, but the most pressing issue is and should always be the combat. Thousands of people spent hundreds-thousands of hours playing the same duel maps with the same weapon in Warband because the combat was satisfying, reliable, intuitive and most importantly consistent/predictable. Bannerlord has failed to achieve the same. That is not a fringe opinion, as the likes of Tork insisted it was for the duration of the beta and for the period immediately following release, because the total collapse of the MP playerbase has demonstrated beyond any doubt that the combat in Bannerlord is of a poor quality. Yes, we cannot attribute the problem entirely to the combat, there are many other issues contributing as well (classes, balancing, netcode, crashes, gamemodes, lack of maps etc.), but the combat has failed. It has failed because its extra "accessibility" did not attract swathes of SP players or totally new players as TW hoped and because it did not attract the Warband population, who now either play Warband infrequently or do not play the series at all.

I hope that TW invest their now limitless resources into improving the game and manage to bring it back in a No Mans Sky-like miracle, I seriously hope that they manage that, but I don't think they will. I don't think they will change the fundamental problems with the combat, or create an interesting class/gear system, and I think that by the time they do add maps, gamemodes and other MP features the population will be so low that it won't matter. Imo you should move on now and not get too attached. The feedback is all here, it's actually all on the beta section from a year ago too, because the problems have existed since the start and have been pointed out since the start. It's just a matter of TW implementing it.

It is not hard to block normal attacks in Bannerlord. That is not the issue. The issue with block delay in duel stems from the fact that attack direction switching is faster than block direction switching. You can out-feint the block delay. Seriously.

Just want to emphasise this point, and it's the point I've been making countless times on countless threads, it's infuriating when people say that blocking is fine, you always have to position yourself in a way to allow you to block instead of blocking as it comes. The blocking system never really had feinting in mind, I doubt any of the developers came up with some sick feints during development. Blocking basic attacks are as easy as one, two and three.

I hate hate hattteee all these people talking about warband pro echo chamber. I know a ton of casuals and a ton of competitive guys. The pro guys are the ones that are staying, the casuals are literally disgusted with the game. No class variation like in warband, bad tdm and siege, and a lackluster combat system. The class systems hurt our casual community a ton. People who talk about warband echo chamber have no idea what they’re saying

Just a point I wanted to make based on Gibby's video. You see how in Warband even in a 2v1 after nearly every block Gibby readies another attack but still has time to defend himself? There is a reason you readied attacked in WB even though you know you probably won't actually let it fly and it was to prepare to punish someone or attempt to bait someone into shielding up when they need to be spamming to suppress you. These mechanics are impossible to safely pull off with the current delay and against 2 competent players you are forced into an unwinnable situation because there is no way to apply pressure back to your enemy without risking way too much in the process.

Someone said they "trained" themselves to not prepare an attack but that's the exact reason that the combat is poor compared to Warband. Punishing players quickly based on mistakes in their footwork or swing pattern is nearly impossible because it is dangerous to ready swings and it usually turns sword and board into a shield health contest (which takes a long time to break in the current game). On top of that, kicks do not stun nearly as long and from my experience they do not always guarantee a hit (maybe I am wrong on that one). Infantry seems severely handicapped in all ways except Pila.

We just need private custom servers; that really should be the top priority for multiplayer. Once that happens this will be a great game for the more casual/semicompetitive players who come for the big line/shieldbattle events or cool modded tdm/siege servers. The issue right now is that the game only appeals to competitive players, and because most competitive players have giant egos it will be impossible to make a game that is right for everybody. Private servers are the only answer to the multiplayer problems right now and no amount of balance or combat patches will change that.

It just really sucks because I think everyone including me had extremely high hopes for the MP. The animations for the combat look really nice too, especially compared to Warband. Feinting IS Warband combat but the schizophrenic animations made it look really bad to the average person.

We just need private custom servers; that really should be the top priority for multiplayer. Once that happens this will be a great game for the more casual/semicompetitive players who come for the big line/shieldbattle events or cool modded tdm/siege servers.
Speaking as someone that dedicated 90% of his Warband playtime to events and event groups, I think you're overestimating this. I like events because of bigger player numbers, organisation, formations etc. but the core of it all is my group and me participating in all the combat phases. I think at this stage I'd have major problems trying to convince anyone to ditch Warband events for Bannerlord events - it simply offers nothing.

There are of course many even more casual groups and clans but if they thought BL offers anything they'd be playing it now. Even if private servers were enabled - there are no event maps nor gamemodes. No random map generation.

Another problem is bannerlord seems to crash all the time in big events... might be one of the reason taleworlds has been hesitant to release custom servers before they’re reasy

Only reason players would do events on Bannerlord rather than Warband is if they want the graphisms, because custom servers provide siege weapons, epic maps and so much more than Bannerlord actually provides. If you think only the comp community is unsatisfied Then you are wrong. Just look at all the events in Warband still going on: 100 people on mount & siege daily, Marko’s event on various mods, siege night on US_GK, or even ratparties and SODT for comp players.

Yeah I have no interest in Bannerlord anymore. I'll keep playing Warband for now. There is no comparison between the combat. It's just much more fun.

Back
Top Bottom