SP - Battles & Sieges How to help fix the Steamrolling Problem when fighting AI

Users who are viewing this thread

Whenever you are playing, once you have a decent army there's just no way for the AI to challenge you. I took out half of Vlandia in one go, and didn't even stop cause I needed to. I had an army of 500, and took out 2 other armies of 500 (separately) and combined lost maybe 3 men. In sieges I lose 1-5 men. These are all dead, not the wounded, which is much higher. This is all on realistic. Which leads me to my 1st step:

1. Nerf amount of troops medicine wounds instead of saves. I have a companion with very high medical, and over 90% of my men only get wounded. At MAX this should be 60%, if even that.

2. AI needs higher level troops. I've seen some patch notes that help with this, which is good progress.

3. AI needs larger armies. I'd say roughly +50 size per lord. And buffs to their money to help deal with the larger armies and higher tier troops. Since the AI isn't usually as good as players, they need larger and better armies to compensate.

4. AI needs to advance, not charge. As it is, If you have archers, you win. Your front line troops have shields, so enemy archers do very little, giving you the ranged advantage nearly every fight. Not only that but if you use your archers smartly, like loose formation on a hill, you get the battle results I listed above. If they have a decent army, still not even 90% of troops even make it to your front line.

If I understand advancing correctly however, the ai will not only move towards me with their shields up, but roughly stick together, which means they will give my infantry a harder time. Having the cavalry flank more would also help.

Currently though, the AI just charges, which makes them come at me piecemeal and spread out, and barely use their shields, so my archers just wreck their entire army.

5. Lastly, shield wall. I saw improvements to this already, and they were great and much needed. To complement my above suggestions, if the AI advances in shield wall, enemy ranged will be MUCH less effective. Also, when troops are in shield wall, troops without shields NEED to move to the rear of the formation. Otherwise it isn't much of a "shield" wall.

Last edited:
I’ve had to decide to not use horse archers, cavalry, and limit my army sizes to 150.
It’s too easy to Golden Horde the entire map, so need to set yourself a challenge.

I’ve found that using skirmisher + spear infantry walls, and two handed flankers to be quite fun.
Trust me, you’ll suffer plenty of casualties.
:lol:

Back
Top Bottom