How much would you pay for the original animations?

Users who are viewing this thread

I would kindly like to leave the fanboism out of this. I am interested in mature discussion about the subject. I will prepare detailed analysis with my reasoning, including screenshots, pictures, etc. when I have more time.

I will also write letter to the devs with my comments. I am sure there are other people who feel the same as me (as well as others who do not), but I believe valid points should be voiced. I think there is a benefit to both sides - we will have the game we want and the devs will have our money. Everyone can be happy in the end.

I am a huge fan of the series, I bought both games. But with Warband, I am a bit disappointed, since the game broke certain parts that were not broken in the previous release, notably:

- the animations (they are the worst thing that happened). The actual reach of the weapon is different from what you see, the cuts are bizare, full of factual mistakes (short reach, too close to the body, improper positioning in the backswing, the thrust makes no sence at all)
- the kick is a meaningless addition, IMO, because unlike with other attack, you can't move while doing it
- the mounted combat is outright broken. The lance cannot be couched (at least I could not do it), and the new animations shortened the reach so much that you can't really hit anyone unless you almost run into him. Please note that a rider was required to hit a lying target with the sword.

So I want to inform the devs that I appreciate their effort and that I would be willing to pay more if the most horrible mistakes are corrected. From business point of view, they could be interested.

Perhaps the best thing would be to have the old animations as a mod or option, or alternatively hire someone competent to mocap the new ones. I have no objection against mocaping the animation as long as the actor knows how to wield the blade.

i hate spear +shield animations ...the way a spear is held seems very unnatural to me, (*) but except that, everything else seems fine. only if i could hit more often doin a 'drive-by' :grin:  :oops: but that's my problem....

* i think spears should be held closer to the body.

Kamamura said:
I will prepare detailed analysis with my reasoning, including screenshots, pictures, etc. when I have more time.

You do that, so that I can specifically point out how stiff and unnatural the old animations were in comparison to the new.  I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I just can't fathom how anyone would not consider them an improvement.

The one handed spear thrust looks quite uncomfortable and tiring to me, but it doesn't bother me that much. Apart from that, I think the animations are alright.

I think both are equally bad. Not horrible, but not great either. We've been suggesting changes to the animations for a long time and they tried, but very few changes were to something better. :/

You will never be able to mod them in for multipalyer as it may lead to advantages to players who use old over new due to more simplistic animations. It might also allow for certain attacks to be harder to block etc.

The old animations are very uncomfortable and don't give you much momentum when attempted in real life.

Kamamura said:
I would kindly like to leave the fanboism out of this. I am interested in mature discussion about the subject. I will prepare detailed analysis with my reasoning, including screenshots, pictures, etc. when I have more time.

I will also write letter to the devs with my comments. I am sure there are other people who feel the same as me (as well as others who do not), but I believe valid points should be voiced. I think there is a benefit to both sides - we will have the game we want and the devs will have our money. Everyone can be happy in the end.

I am a huge fan of the series, I bought both games. But with Warband, I am a bit disappointed, since the game broke certain parts that were not broken in the previous release, notably:

- the animations (they are the worst thing that happened). The actual reach of the weapon is different from what you see, the cuts are bizare, full of factual mistakes (short reach, too close to the body, improper positioning in the backswing, the thrust makes no sence at all)
- the kick is a meaningless addition, IMO, because unlike with other attack, you can't move while doing it
- the mounted combat is outright broken. The lance cannot be couched (at least I could not do it), and the new animations shortened the reach so much that you can't really hit anyone unless you almost run into him. Please note that a rider was required to hit a lying target with the sword.

So I want to inform the devs that I appreciate their effort and that I would be willing to pay more if the most horrible mistakes are corrected. From business point of view, they could be interested.

Perhaps the best thing would be to have the old animations as a mod or option, or alternatively hire someone competent to mocap the new ones. I have no objection against mocaping the animation as long as the actor knows how to wield the blade.

to couch you needed to press x prepatch ...

Kick is so fast that the truth is its almost exactly as if you could move while doing it, beside ..... asking to move while your using your foot to strike is kinda silly ..

Sorry but the old animation are worst in every aspect your are describing .. beside about the reach and the issue with striking this is more of a programming / boxing issue then an animation problem ..

I just watched a MB video and gosh the chracters move like dolls Ive never realised while playing that the animation were that bad until I played Warband ..

To quote Zoolander "Am I taking crazy pills or something?"

This game could be free,  downloaded itself for you, true to life graphics, and made you a bacon sandwich while giving you a back rub and you'd still moan.

I'll be back in a bit with a link to a Spectrum emulator so you can see what some of us had to put up with as kids.

mutter moan bloody kids.....
(have a mental image of father jack)

I would not pay any money for the old animations.  In fact, I would ask for some of my money back.  The new animations are a vast improvement over the old ones. 

Kamamura said:
Regendur said:
[me=Regendur]hails a waiter[/me]

Logic, please.

Logic is simple. I am a fencer. The animations hurt my eyes because they contain so many mistakes. The old ones did not.

Surely there are other... techniques... than those used in fencing though. Or am I wrong here? I admite, I know very little about fencing despite the fact I think it looks pretty fun.

They'd have to pay ME. The new animations are so much better. They feel kinda sluggish when you first play with them, but then you get used quickly.

Yeah well, I didnt like the new animations at 1st either.  I got familair with them very quick and have made the necessary  adjustments to my playstyle.  What I like about the new animations is you really have to pay attention to who you are trying to hit, especially on horseback. Unlike the old animations where I could swing to the right,  hold my two hander out and run circles on my horse, mowing down enemies like a lawn mower. Gotta think now about who you are fighting and what weapons they have.

The new animations arent all that bad. Give it some time.

Other than the lunge animation most are ok.  The swings are all a bit too wide (fellow fencer) and the footwork of the model is horrible,but aside from these the new animations are as good as one could expect from this style of game.

If I could change one thing I would have the model turn with their sword arm forward when wielding a 1 handed weapon and no shield, also a change in posture when doing so to reflect that style of fighting, it doesn't make much sense to have one's unarmed hand advanced so much. 

Then again I don't much mind since this isn't a true fighting sim, it's a game. 

Only major problems I can see animations-wise are a) the lack of a neck-bone and general awkwardness in the skeleton and b) those hilarious walking and running animations carried over from the original mount and blade.

I REALLY hope you are kidding me, op.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_u8Y8rSSCw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErfuKjUqGXY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzp9q69l8J4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecNHq4464PI&feature=related

Oh I'd also say that as a fencer, fencing techniques are next to useless if you are using any kind of weapon or armor not designed for that style of fighting.  Broadsword and shield will have a different shoulder set, footwork, etc... than epee; not to mention wearing heavy armor.

Like I said the only change visually I would appreciate would be a change in the one handed no shield lunge and a change in shoulder positioning when wielding a 1 hander and no shield. 

Back
Top Bottom