• 6+

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Wolfang

Baron
So, how many languages do you speak?

By speak, I mean,

1) Able to communicate with relative ease.
2) Able to write properly.
3) Able to understand what others are saying with relative ease.

More than the 'I got a year or two of French at school before'.

Personally I speak four languages;

1) English~British school.
2) Spanish~From having lived in Mexico.
3) Dutch~Because I speak Flemish with my father & most people around me and went to a Flemish school.
4) French~Because I speak French with my mother & sisters and used to go to a French school.

I've had German at school, and can decipher meaning or understand when it is spoken, but I cannot write properly or communicate what I have to say without using Flemish words.
I can also work my way to understanding Italians and communicating by using my French & Spanish (mostly Spanish).

I grew up with a Dutch/Frisian Dialect, I can understand spoken/written Frisian, I speak/read/write/understand Dutch fluently, same with English although I do have doubts about my pronunciation/accent. I can read German and write/speak a bit although grammar and complex-y bits leave me floundering. My French is even more basic. I can figure out Cyrillic letters and if the words look like a familiar word (from any other language) then I can generally guess it. I know some very basic Latin and Greek,not well enough for anything useful.

In short, I speak a dialect and 2 languages fluently.

edit: interpunction.

FrisianDude said:
Archonsod said:
Two. The one true language and foreign.
Pharaoh Llandy said:
English and Foreign.
I know you guys are joking, but it seems to me that this might be a genuine attitude in some 'people.'

Well I learnt French and German in school, but never needed to use them, so promptly forgot most of them. There are no French or German people in my country, they should have taught us how to speak Polish or Urdu.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
FrisianDude said:
Archonsod said:
Two. The one true language and foreign.
Pharaoh Llandy said:
English and Foreign.
I know you guys are joking, but it seems to me that this might be a genuine attitude in some 'people.'

Well I learnt French and German in school, but never needed to use them, so promptly forgot most of them. There are no French or German people in my country, they should have taught us how to speak Polish or Urdu.

:lol:

Just English, I suppose. I'm learning French, but there are too many words and tenses which I don't know to be able to say I speak it. Not to mention that I have to half guess what someone is saying when I hear it.

Back
Top Bottom