How do you level up your Trading skills efficiently?

Users who are viewing this thread

It's so hard to profit huge amounts of money by trading goods in the new patch, my goal is get to lv 200, but I have no idea how to start

You can either trade between regions where something is very cheap in one and expensive in the other (dates,olives,fish etc) or find clusters of nearby cities that have large gaps in their pricing for stuff (Fish/Olives for grain in vlandian cities).

If you want to play as the ultimate merchant dickhead, never join a faction, just amass a huge amount of pack animals and follow besieging armies. Win or lose, the city pays a premium for food of all kinds. If you offload lots of different type of food (not difficult) then Trade skill shoots up through the roof.

If you want to play as the ultimate merchant dickhead, never join a faction, just amass a huge amount of pack animals and follow besieging armies. Win or lose, the city pays a premium for food of all kinds. If you offload lots of different type of food (not difficult) then Trade skill shoots up through the roof.
Did they fix the price development since 1.4.2? Because in 1.4.1 for most of the food types, prices act very weird. The method you describe worked fine for grain (most of the time) but for olives, dates, grapes and all the other food types it didnt. Allthough the towns were totally starved out and the prices were initially high, when selling anything but grain the prices drop immediately and rapidly the moment you just sell a few units. And often enough even the initial price for a food type is allready ridiculously low, regardless of the starvation.

Did they fix the price development since 1.4.2? Because in 1.4.1 for most of the food types, prices act very weird. The method you describe worked fine for grain (most of the time) but for olives, dates, grapes and all the other food types it didnt. Allthough the towns were totally starved out and the prices were initially high, when selling anything but grain the prices drop immediately and rapidly the moment you just sell a few units. And often enough even the initial price for a food type is allready ridiculously low, regardless of the starvation.

That's because each town has a certain level of consumption on a per-item basis. Grain and fish are high-consumption items. Towns want a lot of them, especially at high prosperity ("this town has average wealth"), but even when they are middling prosperity, they'll need some. Every other type of food is much more limited (Although meat too? Do they not have chickens in Calradia?) in preferred consumption. At a certain breakpoint, they start to demand luxuries as well -- not many at first, but quickly ramping up. The thing is, the people want what they want in terms of consumption and won't accept substitutes: if you have 0 grain, people won't just replace the grain with fish, meat, and olives. Doesn't work that way.

So yeah, grain and fish are your mainstays, with everything else a cherry on top. That's why I said lots of different food; luxuries drop off in price quickly but can be hilariously, outrageously overpriced to make up for it.

While caravans and most workshops are just gimped by the new update I have to say that if you know where too look making a profit is still rather easy (playing a non aserai). When starting out I suggest you just skip the area around poros and head the the Battania/Vlandia area. Some cities there sell stuff for absolutely dirt cheap now You can find clay in penn cannoc at 6 denars depending on recent events. Can sell fro more than double in close vlandian towns Seonon often has mules for 50-70 a piece that can be sold in other battanian or vlandian towns for anywhere between 100-300. Epicrotea often has dirt cheap iron now (30 or so denars) that you can sell for up to 100 in certan places. Stocking up on wine and oil in vlandia and battania and going into the khuzait towns is also a good bet.
Anyway yes, the values of most stuff have been radically reduced. Cheap iron used to be 50-90 and could be sold for up to 190.
The Whole seller perk is absolutely critical now, since it compares the selling price to the average price you payed for the goods in your stock. pretty much if it's bright green sell. If it's slightly green, it's still slightly profitable but you will probably find much better deals in the next town.

Always buy cheap mules (less than 100 a piece) they'll let you carry a lot more goods and you can sell them for a 2-3 x times in towns that need them. Cheap fish will also sell well in most places.
With the new patch you'll often be able to buy goods that are more than 50% cheaper then global average.

Never travel empty, but also don't stock up excessively on stuff like grain and fish. The profit/weight ratio is definitely not the best.

While caravans and most workshops are just gimped by the new update I have to say that if you know where too look making a profit is still rather easy (playing a non aserai). When starting out I suggest you just skip the area around poros and head the the Battania/Vlandia area. Some cities there sell stuff for absolutely dirt cheap now You can find clay in penn cannoc at 6 denars depending on recent events. Can sell fro more than double in close vlandian towns Seonon often has mules for 50-70 a piece that can be sold in other battanian or vlandian towns for anywhere between 100-300. Epicrotea often has dirt cheap iron now (30 or so denars) that you can sell for up to 100 in certan places. Stocking up on wine and oil in vlandia and battania and going into the khuzait towns is also a good bet.
Anyway yes, the values of most stuff have been radically reduced. Cheap iron used to be 50-90 and could be sold for up to 190.
The Whole seller perk is absolutely critical now, since it compares the selling price to the average price you payed for the goods in your stock. pretty much if it's bright green sell. If it's slightly green, it's still slightly profitable but you will probably find much better deals in the next town.

Always buy cheap mules (less than 100 a piece) they'll let you carry a lot more goods and you can sell them for a 2-3 x times in towns that need them. Cheap fish will also sell well in most places.
With the new patch you'll often be able to buy goods that are more than 50% cheaper then global average.

Never travel empty, but also don't stock up excessively on stuff like grain and fish. The profit/weight ratio is definitely not the best.
That was very helpfull Thanks! :smile:

Following besieging armies and making profit from it...You are a genius :xf-smile:?

You don't. You cheat whatever trading level you want because leveling trading is cancer.

The way how you level trading doesn't make sense in my opinion. You should also gain experience for buying things, especially when you buy cheap. You should also be able gain trading exp when you sell something different than trading goods. At the moment you only get exp for making profit but buying cheap provisions for your army should from a trader's point of view also give exp because you bought the things you need for cheap. I wouldn't mind the whole making profit thing if the experience you get would be at least worth your time spend. Why do I need to sink 50 real time hours and 20 in game years just to get trading level 150...
Everytime you trade is valuable experience imo and even more so when you barter with lords and tbh I think every skill should have a variety of ways in which you can level them.

Does the "everything has a price perk" let you give fiefs to vassals or neutral lords? Or is it receiving only? That's the only use I could imagine for it, giving you vassals (or nutral buddy) a fief you already have. Could be fun to manipulate the world flow.

Does the "everything has a price perk" let you give fiefs to vassals or neutral lords? Or is it receiving only? That's the only use I could imagine for it, giving you vassals (or nutral buddy) a fief you already have. Could be fun to manipulate the world flow.
In 1.4.1 it worked for vassals at least (tried it out). Will try it soon on neutrals. You could even abuse this perk to gain relation with your relatives by (repeatedly) giving fiefs to your spouse and childs (effectively to yourself) and thereby push your charming skill.^^

In 1.4.1 it worked for vassals at least (tried it out). Will try it soon on neutrals. You could even abuse this perk to gain relation with your relatives by (repeatedly) giving fiefs to your spouse and childs (effectively to yourself) and thereby push your charming skill.^^
Should work for neutrals. I'm pretty sure I traded fiefs to a neutral faction in my 1.4.2 game. I definitely gave a half dozen fiefs to other vassals of the same faction in that run.

edit: Oh it definitely works for neutrals. I had forgotten an amusing episode. I was avoiding letting the Khuzaits retake a fief that had been assigned to me so I gave it to a Stugian lord I encountered. This literally brought Sturgia back from having no land and they kept that city for months if not years.

[...] This literally brought Sturgia back from having no land and they kept that city for months if not years.

I will soon try to re-rise the western empire out of oblivion as my ally (with the diplomacy fixed-mod). I even think about letting Garios have the pleasure to finish Rhagaea. :unsure:

I will soon try to re-rise the western empire out of oblivion as my ally (with the diplomacy fixed-mod). I even think about letting Garios have the pleasure to finish Rhagaea. :unsure:
It was quite nice having a buffer state that I could launch raiding expeditions from. I definitely plan to have similar fun in the future.

Back
Top Bottom