Hit Points for Weapon

Users who are viewing this thread

Redcoat - Mic said:
That'd get fairly annoying however as if the more expensive weapons break, what's the point of buying them? Just buy a cheap one and pick more up on the battlefield as just constantly re-buying swords would be a massive hassle and frankly not fun at all.
Also, I think the breaking of shields is to simulate them getting useless, e.g. massive amounts of cracks, arrows, javelins in them. Although that theory kind of goes out of the window with metal ones...

make it like th shields and regenerate after every battle.

We could have something like the system in Monster Hunter, so that weapons don't break, but lose their sharpness over time, So that eventually your sword no longer cuts through all armor, and merely does blunt damage

Yer that would be a great idea because sometimes it would even pay to have your sword not as sarp, so that you can take prisoners because you will do blunt damage. :smile:

chenzjun said:
I have searched this topic on this forum, even I saw a few suggestions about weapon blocking, I believe this idea is new.

Currently when blocking, a wooden staff is more endurable than even the best shield in the game. I could not imagine that any one wound use his or her wooden staff to block a blow of a heavy axe but dodging away. A weapon, when being used to block, is much more breakable than a shield, which is designed for blocking. If a shield can be broken, I would expect that I can break the weapons which are used to block my attack. I had heard some people say "I would use my weapon for blocking melee attack in order to save my shield for arrows" and I do not believe any one in medieval would think the same way, since their weapons are much more breakable and precious than their shields.

By simply assigning a HP to each weapon, similar to that had given to a shield, would solve this problem. Furthermore, I would expect the HP for weapons are generally lower than those for shields, and the HP for a weapons totally made by metal are higher than the HP for weapons which involve, or even are made of wood. Hence, a lance, which is basically made of wood, can be easily broken by a heavy axe within two to three blows, whereas a Sword of War will be slightly better (but still breakable).

Once the weapons are used for blocking, their temporary HP would drop and can only be fixed in shops. The wielder will lose control about a weapon when the HP drops to zero, just exactly like how a shield would behave now. And if the weapons are broken badly, their permanent HP would also drop and cannot be fixed as good as they were. This would affect the damage it can cause, since they are chipped, cracked or whatever-ed. By doing so, I believe that people will evaluate their weapons more precious.

p.s. for those weapons have bonus against shield, should be changed into having bonus against arms.

EDIT: Similar suggestion of HP had been made for lances. If a weapon has HP, the damage caused by charging for a lance can also easily implemented using the same system, so the wielder would finally lose control of the lance as well.
I was just about to post the same thread:grin:
totaly aggre with u men. Especialy for the lance parts! Historicly it could wistend 3-4 charges...

I like this idea just because when you got to camp you could then 'repair' so to speak.  Your men would sit around feasting, telling stories and mending thier gear as you also would do.  But I don't see why stopping at weapons would be the goal, the moral of the story for me is not what if weapons could be breakable but why are shields the only breakable piece of equipment?  I'm not talking, bam, done get a new sword and armor.  Rather, I have a spirited courser and I often do not charge into battle on it because I do not want my spirited to become a lame.  I did not realize your horse could become 'wounded' and thusly 'lame' but when I noticed it happening I think that's awesome.

So why stop there?  You see all these cracked, rugged, etc... items in stores.  Perhaps those are just stages of damage, when your weapon or armor 'breaks' it is simply changed to the next level.  Like for instance I have some chain mail, let's say it is heavy chain mail.  Well, after a dozen battles, I have basically worn chainmail.  Maybe that continues on to 'damaged chainmail' and finally one day, yes it finally breaks.  To tie that in with above, to keep your armor in good repair you would need to camp and avoid being busted up in combat.  I really don't see that being too 'out there'.  And it adds a fun immersion factor, like when you get hit in the face with an arrow and fly backwards off your horse.  It sucks, but damn is it awesome.

I do not think this idea is truly necessary for a more enjoyable game, but if it has to be done, weapons should be harder to break than shields, especially swords. A sword should be about 30% more durable than even a steel shield.

Hyomoto said:
I like this idea just because when you got to camp you could then 'repair' so to speak.  Your men would sit around feasting, telling stories and mending thier gear as you also would do.  But I don't see why stopping at weapons would be the goal, the moral of the story for me is not what if weapons could be breakable but why are shields the only breakable piece of equipment?  I'm not talking, bam, done get a new sword and armor.  Rather, I have a spirited courser and I often do not charge into battle on it because I do not want my spirited to become a lame.  I did not realize your horse could become 'wounded' and thusly 'lame' but when I noticed it happening I think that's awesome.
A bit off-topic, but can a horse heal itself? I had a lame hunter, but I just unequipped it and put it into my inventory and didn't use it for a while. Maybe I'm mistaken, but a while later it was a normal hunter. Did I just swap two horses or can horses heal themselves by not using them?

Nah, hitpoints for weapons would not be cool at all...
Maybe the TS could make a poll to see how others think about it?

kingofnoobia said:
A bit off-topic, but can a horse heal itself? I had a lame hunter, but I just unequipped it and put it into my inventory and didn't use it for a while. Maybe I'm mistaken, but a while later it was a normal hunter. Did I just swap two horses or can horses heal themselves by not using them?

Yes, horses heal.

Ac30 said:
We could have something like the system in Monster Hunter, so that weapons don't break, but lose their sharpness over time, So that eventually your sword no longer cuts through all armor, and merely does blunt damage
I wouldn't say so much just plain blunt damage, but all you need is to carry an item to sharpen your sword, and if it was masterwork, it says in camp , take an action, if you have the item to sharpen your Blade, then depending on how dull it is, say it was masterwork and you went through 3 heavy battles with your sword and it dulled out, then spend an hour or 2 sharpening your blade, and it would be the same kind of view of the world map such as preparing ladders for sieges or resting.

janlulhannes said:
Nah, hitpoints for weapons would not be cool at all...
Maybe the TS could make a poll to see how others think about it?

kingofnoobia said:

Yes, horses heal.

WHAT HORSES HEAL! Wow have i been wasting money...thanks for the info!
I think that maybe after awhile the weapon becomes "chipped" or "rusted" heck even "bent"....you can also take it to a smith for repair....nothing is worse when I finish a battle and a large portion of the weapons are cracked, chipped, broken....yada yada yada...there should at least be a repair option or even as a SKILL for M&B!

Agreed....?

*Spear* said:
WHAT HORSES HEAL! Wow have i been wasting money...thanks for the info!
I think that maybe after awhile the weapon becomes "chipped" or "rusted" heck even "bent"....you can also take it to a smith for repair....nothing is worse when I finish a battle and a large portion of the weapons are cracked, chipped, broken....yada yada yada...there should at least be a repair option or even as a SKILL for M&B!

Agreed....?
smiths for M&B? definitely.

This isnt D&D with its magical weapons that would cause severe depression to player if they broke it.Seriously...in M&B if you damage your balanced sword and it becomes bent your only losing a small amount of potential damage.Not like breaking a D&D sword and the acid stops dripping from its tip.  :roll:

If they do add in damage to weapons it could go inline with the damage already in game aka rusty/bent etc.After certain amount of use a sword could become bent or a crossbow cracked with the reduced damage that comes with it etc.

Also the shields automatically renewing just doesnt seem to belong in a medieval combat simulation.Same with projectile replenishment after each battle.If I am finding 10 shields every looting session then its ok for my shield to break after its HP's are up.

Im all for the reduced weapons down a notch the way you find them now.Then high resistance and low hitpoints so one massive blow will take the weapon down for next mission to a lower level.Make a special weird clanking sound if the wepaon exceeds its resistance to signal to player that they just damaged the weapon.

When the weapon is in battered state they break if damage overcomes resistance.As pointed out by decervia,daggers on belt(extra wepaon spot just for daggers)would be awesome here.

Devercia said:
Having a special small weapon slot would actually make daggers useful after your weapon is gone.
That's a fantastic idea. I can imagine losing my sword in a frenetic battle, and instead of running around after another weapon just pulling of a dagger and slicing some throats!  :grin:

Back on hit points:
I think it would add a lot to the game. I'm in favor of a smith ability and I'm also in favor of repairing it with weapons mercants.

The Green Knight said:
Devercia said:
Having a special small weapon slot would actually make daggers useful after your weapon is gone.
That's a fantastic idea. I can imagine losing my sword in a frenetic battle, and instead of running around after another weapon just pulling of a dagger and slicing some throats!  :grin:

Back on hit points:
I think it would add a lot to the game. I'm in favor of a smith ability and I'm also in favor of repairing it with weapons mercants.
Weapons can now be carried each in a specific place (hip, on the back in two ways, on your belt). I would like it if you cannot carry two different weapons with the same attachment point (but many weapons would have several ways to carry them: a sword will preferably be carried at your side, but it could be put on your back if it's necessary). That way, you can't carry 2 swords, unless your back is free. Daggers can be put anywhere (including your belt, where no other weapons can be carried), making them ideal backup weapons. You get slots for:

• Left side: One handed and hand-and-a-half weapons + Daggers and the like
  • Belt: Daggers and other very small weapons
  • Right side: reserved for crossbow bolts and daggers and the like
  • Back ( \ ): Two handed weapons, (cross)bows, polearms, (one handed weapons, daggers). No quivers or ammunition, since the top is on the left side, and archers grab their arrows with the right hand.
  • Back ( / ): Two handed weapons, (cross)bows, polearms, (one handed weapons, daggers). Can carry quivers and ammunition too, so you probably won't put your bow here.
  • Lower Back: Only useful for an extra quiver of arrows or a bag of bolts (like bodkin arrows are carried now). You cannot carry a shield if you carry a quiver here
  • Back ( shield slot ): A slot to carry a shield. You can only carry 1 shield. Gets disabled if you use the lower back slot
  • Right side: reserved for crossbow bolts or a dagger

When you carry a bow, you will be unable to carry a polearm or 2hander with it unless you sacrifice a quiver of arrows (you can at max carry 2 quivers). An equipment set for an archer would look like this: Bow, 2 quivers, a one handed weapon, backup dagger.
A footman: Two handed axe, one handed sword, shield, javelins, (backup dagger).
A horseman: lance, one handed or bastard sword, shield, (two hander).
A crossbowman: Crossbow, 2 packets of bolts, a shield OR a 2hander/polearm (depending on whether you used the Lower back or Right side slot for your second packet of bolts), one handed weapon, backup dagger.
A mounted archer: Bow, 2 quivers, a one handed weapon and a backup dagger.

All of this isn't necessary for me though, I like it the way it is. Just saying, IF weapons are to be breakable, I would like to see this implemented too.

Weapons wearing down is just realistic, but this turns into a fun killer if you paid 40 thousand Denars for your Masterwork War Sword. Weapons with that kind of cost are a serious investment and should remain with the player. I would agree to this if repairing the weapons back to prime condition was an option. Without that option, no.

I agree that breakable/repairable weapons would be a realistic feature, but at the same time I'm struggling to think of a single game in which weapon degradation was a good idea and not just a pain...

Back
Top Bottom