Here's a question:

Users who are viewing this thread

Stonewall382

Knight at Arms
So, this question is mainly for those of you who drink at least semi-regularly, or are old enough to have "been there, done that."

I'm twenty years old, started drinking last Spring.  I drank pretty much every day (only a few drinks during the weeks, though I got hammered on the weekends) then, but when I went home for summer break, I drank a total of one thirty pack of beer and a few hard lemonades (only thing available :p) throughout the summer.  I usually drank a beer at the end of the day while I listened to music (Metallica and Cash :wink:).  However, now that I'm back at school, I'm back to drinking a few drinks every night while I listen to music, and getting relatively drunk on the weekends.
I got blackout drunk a few weeks ago, and since then have been much more mindful of how much I drink at parties and such.  However, I get varied responses from people who know that I drink every night, even if it is the equivalent of one or two beers.
The question is, does this seem weird to anyone?  Does it seem like I might be developing a problem?  I don't think so, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Also, as a sidenote:  I'm playing Call of Duty 4 online, and today I started getting an error that talked about some API graphics error or something.  The anti-cheat system was kicking me out of every game, but I never got banned or got a timeout or anything.  Any ideas?

It's not weird, but you are definately starting to develope a problem. Either you are or are becoming an alcoholic, you might not think that you have a problem but most alcoholics don't (not in the beginning anyway).

Oh Lord above! We have a sinner and a lamb under the guidance of the Devil! Mah child, if you heed the words of a good Christian, go to church and pray for your salvation before all is lost!

(Meh, it's normal for your age. Just try not drinking a night or two a week and see if you feel irritated or depressed on those nights. If so you might be a little dependant.)

@stonewall382 - are you the same person that used to be on the total war forums?

And yes I think you have a problem  :razz:

Yes I am, and I'm now back on TW (but not too active).  I'm sorry, but your name doesn't ring a bell (unless you're ToxicSeagull).  Have we met?

Yeah, I don't get irritated or depressed.  I just like alcohol.  Meh.  Was a little hungover today.

Na, i'm not Toxicseagull, but I know him and the NF's (over the internet, not in person)

I joined the .commie when most of the older members were just leaving.

(Meh, it's normal for your age. Just try not drinking a night or two a week and see if you feel irritated or depressed on those nights. If so you might be a little dependant.)

Normal for your age :grin: There we have it, a doctor's statement!

I personally know one important thing concerning drinking: learn to have fun WITHOUT alcohol first.

Defiantly not an alcoholic. Unless you're getting drunk every night before work/school I see no problem. I tend to go out on weekends and get hammered. You meet new people, more women. I usually look at it positively.

Just don't try to show off to your friends that you can drink the most and don't ever play stupid drinking contests. Also try to avoid the whiskey until you are old enough of a drunk to need that extra boost. Drink wine once in awhile just to mix things up.

Seems to be you're not having a problem.

But there's a big but. You seem concerned you might have a problem, which, unless you're an extremely sensible and insightful person, could indicate that you have. Only you know.

But you seem to me to be what in my native language is dubbed a 'habit drinker', i.e. someone who drinks more or less intensely for certain periods, but who's not necessarily an alcoholic. Problem is, there's a fine line there; if somewhere down along the road you find yourself doing 3, 4, 5 drinks a night while alone listening to music,
I'd say you should maybe see the writing on the wall and cut back. Otherwise it could be the downward spiral next.

It all comes down to why you drink IMO: to feel good, to be more relaxed, to forget stuff like everyday hassle, because you're depressed/angry/sad?
I'm talking when you drink alone here, it's obvious why you drink at parties!

GL mate,

Zathan

The big question is, Is your drinking negatively impacting your life?  I mean, how is it affecting your work, school, relationships, etc.?  If it isn't having an impact on the rest of your life, then there isn't a problem...you are still capable of seperating your drinking from your greater responsibilities.  It's when you find that you are incapable of doing that, is when there is a problem.

They give all these little tips and such like...if you drink by yourself...you might be an achoholic...blah blah blah....the key word there is MIGHT.  Every alchoholic is going to continually drink...whether with people or alone...BUT not everyone who drinks alone is an alcoholic.  It's an important distinction to make.  Just because you fall into a pattern that is consistent with an alcoholic, doesn't mean you are one.  It's nice to take those as red flags...and certianly, make a no bull**** assessment of your life...but just remember, no matter how many "symptoms" you may have, unlesss it is having a negative impact on your life, you don't have the "disease".

Just yesterday I had someone try to tell me that I'm an alcoholic because I enjoy a good dry martini before going to bed.  LOL.  I drink because I enjoy the taste.  I also despise the feeling of being drunk and won't drink more than one or two drinks a night.  I hardly fit the profile of a hardcore alcoholic.

Well, alcoholism tends to be more of a case of NEEDING alcohol. My friend is starting to develop it after relationship troubles and he actually has cravings for alcohol like people would for fags. So until you actually crave it, I doubt you're an alcoholic. But you should try to nip this in the bud.

Redcoat - Mic said:
Well, alcoholism tends to be more of a case of NEEDING alcohol. My friend is starting to develop it after relationship troubles and he actually has cravings for alcohol like people would for fags. So until you actually crave it, I doubt you're an alcoholic. But you should try to nip this in the bud.

Physical and psychological dependance would be the very definition of an alcohol addiction...but the defining characteristic of alcoholism is when the alcohol is more important than relationships, work/school performance, etc.  When all those other aspects of one life start feeling the impact of the drinking, that is sign number one that the individual is no longer able to control themselves.

I'd get your friend weaned off the liquor before his phychological addiction becomes a physical one....delirium tremens is not something to **** around with.  Actually coming off of alcohol can kill you if the physical addiction is bad enough.

Back
Top Bottom