Hating people of your nationality on the net

Users who are viewing this thread

But it is. Or it can be.
At least when you're making the right - haha, get it? - jokes. But the butthurt brigade destroyed too much.

One of the reasons why I love the (stereotypical) British humour. It just doesn't seem to give a **** about anyone's feelings.

Winterz said:
I end up thinking to myself that there's only foolish portuguese in the net(the other guy probably thinks the same of me)
Conclusion: Every portuguese on the internet is foolish.
:razz:
But yeah, I've come to the conclusion that the vast majority of the time Portuguese and Brazilian people are pretty nice to each other over the net.
Tuckles said:
BR? BR? BR? BR? BR? BR?
HEUAHEUAHEUAHEUAHEUAEHUAEHAUEHEUAH

Actually, just being on TW indicates an interest in Mount & Blade which automatically gets them in my good books. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that fellow countrymen I've met here in TW are pretty cool and fairly intelligent people.

Grauuu said:
Am I the only one having this issue? Whenever I "meet" Danes on the internet, I naturally assume they are idiots, and in 999 out of a 1000 cases, it is true.
I can't even begin to explain the idiocy some of these people spout, and the horror I feel when a Dane is "nearby". I feel myself getting nervous, wanting to get the hell out of here and just pretend they don't exist.
Everytime I read Danish on the internet, I read it in a voice I assume the writer has: A retarded one. I can't help it. Years of interacting with incredibly dumb people have taken its toll on me.

Problem is, I don't feel this way about people from any other nation, not even Norwegians! It scares me.
I'm sorry to say that I've raised exactly the same issue with my clan members on TS; it seems whatever internet fora or gaming communities I partake in some of the worst fools I meet are fellow Danes.

The four probably most annoying people I've ever met online was Danes; my Drow Matron nemesis on a NWN1 RP server, a know-it-all on one of the mod forums, a cRPG pride gamer on a duel server and a particularly obstinate one on my team in a WB MP event.
I also met four guys from a Danish WB clan at one time some months ago and they were rowdy and immature enough to make me ashamed of my nationality among my clan members, the usual humble pride I take in Danish culture and history notwithstanding.

Of course it might just be coincidence - I can only hope - I have met other Danes here that I like or who seem reasonable ( Cruger, Flash, Adorno, Seff, Gobi, Absalon and Fennris to name a few ) - and there is undoubtedly some truth to the claim that we notice countrymen more than other nationalities.

Every American thinks everyone else is American, in America. Accordingly, you are all American and your opinions of these so called 'nationalities' are actually just your ways of disgusing your Americanhood.

Captain Pyjama Shark said:
socks said:
Most Americans on the internet seem to hate all other Americans. I usually dislike people like this more than the people they hate.
agree

the only internet people who get on my nerves occasionally are Turkz
yeah,they are unbearable,every time they boast of about their military achievements

The worst thing about Scottish people online is that they honestly seem to believe that everybody in the world got taught Scottish history at school.  They will unironically mock people from the ends of the earth - Mongolia, Greenland, wherever - if they don't have a detailed understanding of the fecking Declaration of Arbroath or the Glencoe Massacre or some such historic ****e.  It's embarassing.  They're way too oversensitive to nonexistent insults as well.

It seems to work in the same same way that Americans think everybody on earth gets taught about the Constitution and Bill of Rights and Civil War - except that America has been a global superpower and cultural hegemon for nearly a century, so it has an excuse for it's insularity, whereas Scotland's been Scotland.

On international forums we are usually alright, but in our own local forums or in Youtube comments....:oops:    Everybody's a **** in Youtube comments, though.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/world_according_to_americans.png

My favorite XCD on Americans on the net.

I dislike how many Americans on the net think many Americans on the net are nincompoops.

Sethaniel said:
Actually, just being on TW indicates an interest in Mount & Blade which automatically gets them in my good books. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that fellow countrymen I've met here in TW are pretty cool and fairly intelligent people.
Aww really Seth? Even this guy?

mfberg said:
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/world_according_to_americans.png
My favorite XCD on Americans on the net.
Adding more knowlegde about Western and Eastern Europe that's basically how I see the world as well.
That's pretty detailed already I's day.

-edit
'Europe' even

McBeverage said:
Little do we Americans know that we are not in fact, American Americans, but are instead Turks.
I see what you did there.

People what we are forgetting is that we all are, in fact, Turks. Now there is absolutely no point in arguing over ethnicities since we are, in the end, Turks. If you don't believe me just ask Ancalimon the wise Proto-Turkic Turk!

Folthrik said:
The Cow Dude said:
I think Americans are nincompoops geography-wise, based on personal experience.

Just saying.
Horrendous blanket statement, just saying.

Because youtube videos are an excellent indicator of what the general population knows about geography. I bet just as many people can be found in Europe who are just as ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom