" ........... has gotten pregnant "

Users who are viewing this thread

This log entry triggers my inner English teacher every time I see it.

Sure some quirky ( Turkish ) things might get a little lost in translation, like " Having Going ", but this is just gauche use of English.

( QA English version, anyone ? )

Just like " Ladogual is fugitive ", how about simply " Ladogual is pregnant ", instead ?

Of all the great and good, interested, caring, and improving ideas floating around here, this one would have to give you, TW, just about the biggest bang for your buck possible; a sub - intern could rewrite the couple of text words in a just a couple of minutes. Then you, and we, would be getting that much closer to the polished and professional Bannerlord we all deserve.

I do feel very strongly about this, TW.

"Gotten" is American English.

"__________ has gotten pregnant" also makes it sound like she had a quick one with the stable boy.

Gertrude is pregnant. (y) .... ('has become' would also be ok)

(Sorry, but I am an English teacher by trade lol)

"Gotten" is American English.

"__________ has gotten pregnant" also makes it sound like she had a quick one with the stable boy.

It's an idiom in spoken English, so seeing it written down especially for a tooltip is just awkward to read. It's like how you would usually say "I've got a cold" but never write "he has got a cold" except via text. As you say, "has become pregnant" would be better, or "has fallen pregnant"

Ngl, offered my services for them as a translator some years ago, never heard back, i think they hired a company to localize it into brazilian portuguese. I didnt even bother checking the quality there (i am arrogant that way). Would gladly fix most of these problems for free in English, being a language teacher and researcher by trade. Also remember: being native doesn't mean one fully grasps the language and its minutiae. My forum speech might be broken and badly edited, but thats because i only "talk to people" in my spare time, generally typing in my crappy 5 year old samsung smartphone, which i hate with all my might. Professionally, i work with mouse and keyboard, like the Gods intended.

i thought they had changed it, but this thread has shown me its a mod, most likely Family Control, which changed the text to ".... learned she is with child", which is much more appropriate than the original "is under the preggy" given the context.

As a sidenote, this reminded me of The Sims 3's portuguese translation, which stated "... contracted pregnancy". I lol at that to this day. One time i used it in a college presentation, jokingly, but it was not well received, clearly my colleagues and teacher didnt fully understand the depth of my esoteric sense of humor.

Steven Negus is an experienced journalist, so his grasp of written English should be well above average.
Yes, but he is a writer, he was hired to write lore, not basic features of the game. Also, as a writer myself, the workload of writing and composing something is very different from revising and editing it. It is best if one does both, but they require different mindsets, thus, different timetables and methods. If they were to ask him to revise the work, i'm sure he could, as his works depict his ability, but it would entail a different job and another payment. So much so he would most likely delegate or refer TW to a professional language assistance company to do that specific job.

Sorry to keep the offtopic but since I'm not a native english speaker I have to ask... does this surname sound exactly the same than the N word?
Good question. [Shrek burned face meme]
Maybe thats old timey English rather than modern English. Like if someone were to say 'lickspittles' about members of their court.
Nope. It is a modern colloquial expression. Thats why i said the mod that changed it to ".... learned she is with child" is more appropriate, for pretty much the reasons you gave.

Edit: Let's not forget that "has gotten" is not wrong, it's just  ugly. And ugly language (cacophonous, for example) stand out like a pustule, a furuncle or a canker.

Ugly doesn't mean wrong, only very noticeable, but even "ugly" language features can be well used to invoke or emphasize a specific feeling or a specific result in a text.
When used appropriately, alliterations alter our understanding in a way that allows for an argument against awful anecdotes and attributes or asinine writing. But alliterations are not cacophony, they're deliberate sentences. The use for preggo-ness in BL feels like just an oversight from one of them "devs that know english" and no one is very bothered about it. Hence 3 years in and it's still there.

Edit2: just noticed i had to come back and edit this post about 3 times to leave it the way it is. It sure takes different grinds, to make something and to edit something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom