GTA IV

Users who are viewing this thread

I hope they still put weight on the single player mode

That's the meat of GTA and I think it always will be.

but the core game has to be good.

I have no doubt that the game will be great. I'm loving the new focus on realism and I'm looking forward to a bank heist (I'll be disappointed if they're only scripted) and trying to escape from the cops. My only worry is that the game will be too linear like previous games, while the game is perfect for multiple story paths, different occupations etc. Something I doubt they'll take advantage of is random mission generators. Endless number of hits to carry out in a "realistic" world? Fence giving info about good places to rob? I suppose modding could give a similar effect for the pc version but I think Rockstar is missing an opportunity if they don't include it themselves - which I don't think they will going on previous games.

Zaro said:
I have no doubt that the game will be great. I'm loving the new focus on realism and I'm looking forward to a bank heist (I'll be disappointed if they're only scripted) and trying to escape from the cops. My only worry is that the game will be too linear like previous games, while the game is perfect for multiple story paths, different occupations etc. Something I doubt they'll take advantage of is random mission generators. Endless number of hits to carry out in a "realistic" world? Fence giving info about good places to rob? I suppose modding could give a similar effect for the pc version but I think Rockstar is missing an opportunity if they don't include it themselves - which I don't think they will going on previous games.

I though random mission generators tended to end up being crap. Handmade ones are almost always better because a randomly generated one usually ends up being one of the template quests (Go to A and kill B then drive to C). At least with a handmade mission you have the chance of something unexpected happening.

They are only crap if they're poorly designed. The problem with handmade missions is that there will always be a limited number and that number will be low if done by the developers. Handmade missions are actually more predictable than a good random generator because the handmade missions are scripted, and the randomly generated missions are exactly that. The larger and more complex the world, the more interesting randomly generated missions will be, and the world is much more complex than in previous games.

Zaro said:
They are only crap if they're poorly designed. The problem with handmade missions is that there will always be a limited number and that number will be low if done by the developers. Handmade missions are actually more predictable than a good random generator because the handmade missions are scripted, and the randomly generated missions are exactly that. The larger and more complex the world, the more interesting randomly generated missions will be, and the world is much more complex than in previous games.

Yes, but those random missions will only be interesting and unique if something unscripted happens due to the nature of the game world, like a gang fight breaking out and your car getting destroyed in the crossfire. Those unscripted events can happen in a handmade mission as well. And I've yet to see a random mission generator that made unique missions. Usually, those missions are just template missions and contribute nothing to the game other than padding out its length or providing an opportunity to destroy things. Can you name a game that had memorable random missions?

random missions will only be interesting and unique if something unscripted happens due to the nature of the game world

I'm hoping that environment of GTA provides that.

Can you name a game that had memorable random missions

Not that I can recall. Even a good set of template missions wouldn't be a bad idea, just as long as there were plenty of them or there were a lot of variables. They can be good, they just require more effort than sticking the target on a corner and to be told to go and kill him.

A game like GTA shouldn't need a random mission generator anyway. There's enough to do in the game without random missions. I do hope they make the game more dynamic, though. Things like gang wars breaking out randomly as you wander around would be awesome.

Honestly, I think they've moved past the "Gang war" thing. Niko isn't part of a gang: he's just trying to get out of that crappy apartment by any means necessary. And even if it's a side thing, I'm sure they won't want to go into TOO much detail.

But (and this is a big but) if they haven't it's got to be better. I'd think they might want to use the system they are using with the police-stuff now: Instead of levels of wanted-ness as before, they now have a circle which you need to leave in order to lose the police. The same can be applied with gangs: They have a center (HQ, to be technical), with a HUGE radius all around, and any overlapping parts are the warzones.

But: that's just me.

That is just you.
*High speed chase* *Leaves circle*
"****! Where'd he go? *wanders around MGS guard style* What was I doing again? Oh well..."

I think single player and multiplayer should be balanced. But all in all, multiplayer is what I stay playing games for and I can forgive a game for having a ****ty single player.
Like all BF games.

I think they've moved past the "Gang war" thing.

I think so too, and particularly since they're focusing on realism I think criminal organisations (I won't call them gangs - they're not the Grove Street Chumps) will be more underground. Instead of all out urban warfare it would be better if it was restricted to mainly hits  and the occasional raid. I definitely hope they're staying away from the gang mechanics of SA and it seems they will.

A game like GTA shouldn't need a random mission generator anyway.

There are already randomly generated missions in the game: taxi, ambulance, firetruck, squad car and street racing. Including them for occupations such as bank robbers, thieves, contract killers etc would just be an extension of that, and given that the focus is on realism they would be a suitable addition. The missions would require a more sophisticated system of generation than those in previous games, but it would extend the gameplay. It's not logical to have a problem with implementing this system if it will be done well as it can only benefit the game.

There's enough to do in the game without random missions.

What's wrong with having even more to do? There seems to be a common thought among gta players that the game should stay the same but just have updated graphics. I'm glad Rockstar aren't willing to do that.

Realism? You mean the part where Nico takes 50 bullets to the chest? Or where he jumps out of a car moving at highway speed with nary a scratch? Or maybe the part where he pulls an RPG out of his back pocket? Gangs may not start firefights at the drop of a hat (at least, not in NYC), but GTA was never about realism. It was always about stylizing it like the movies.

I didn't mean that it was going to be a simulation, just that the approach is less arcade-like than in previous games. Everything we know about the game suggests that it will be more realistic and there's no denying this as Rockstar confirmed it themselves.

You mean the part where Nico takes 50 bullets to the chest?

A slight breeze would knock me over if this was the case. I doubt we'll be able to take more than a few good shots.

what ever, even if the game is realistic or not it's got pritty good Graphics aye, I wonder if it will have the same sorta layout as the REAL  Liberty City from GTA 3, But I wonder if any of the old GTA 3 guys will be in it  like Rockstar said they wouldn;t be becasue they would all be dead by now but GTA 3 was based in mid 1990s so i dont think things can change to much in 10-15 yearss really... can they ?

what ever

No, not whatever. We already know that it will be more realistic than previous games. More realistic doesn't mean total realism, it just means less arcade-like than previous games. It will probably end up being similar to Hollywood action which is perfect for this kind of game.

I wonder if it will have the same sorta layout as the REAL  Liberty City from GTA 3,

The real Liberty City? The layout has a resemblance to NYC.

i dont think things can change to much in 10-15 yearss really... can they

None of the characters in the GTA series strike me as people that would live a long, healthy life.

The first one just died and slumped down where he was standing, the second one, however, plummeted from his nest to the rooftop of a car below; shattering the windows and caving in the roof. Very cool.

Nice, looks like they finally expanded the car damage system to more than just the doors and stuff.

Darian said:
It utterly blows away the much-lauded Havok.
Errrr no?
Havok is a physics engine, Euphoria isn't. So one isn't going to blow the other away, and they're not meant to either as they're 2 different things.

Exactly. Darian should watch that vid of that upcoming Star Wars game where they combine Havok, Euphoria and Digital Molecular Something.

This also means Euphoria isn't the one responsible for the roof caving in. What it could do on the other hand is making the falling dude try to grab onto stuff.

Er, I should have been clearer. Euphoria combined with a physics system blows away games using only a physics system (e.g. Halo 2, Oblivion).

Back
Top Bottom