groups should have an objective!! not just to patrol!

Users who are viewing this thread

powertothemidgs

i have noticed hen i am riding around the map, that certain groups are not doing what there name implies... vaegir foragers for example are not foraging... they are patrolling... :roll: I think a groups name should be job appropriate.

example. Vaegir war party should actually go and attack enemy town and enemy groups...
while vaegir foragers should be foraging for food so if you killed them and you got a look at there inventory they would have a lot of food.

i have also noticed that groups of rscued prisoners will patrol the countryside... why would people who have just been rescued patrol? they should either a. go to nearest town... or b. go to your castle (if some of the ideas in this topic http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,10536.0.html are implemented)

firstly i was thinking that the foragers were actualy ment to forage from other
towns/parties meaning they were more of confiscation/theiving detail

that aside yes this would be an awsome improvement Ex.

you see a swadian forager group *sneaking* into a town stealing all sorts of things and when you go into the town you see that they have stole lots from differnt merchants captured peasents/lords for their slaveing etc,etc..

but that said this isn't a realy big issue for arm&company
before this is implimented i'd like to see better battle AI improvements

I always thought that "patolling" groups WERE doing what theyre supposed to, seeing if there were any enemy units in the vincinity.  As for the Vaegir war parties, Ive seen them attack other groups, I think what you mean is that these groups should have a specific goal when they spawn.

I believe so as well. We should have war partys attack and siege. Foragers raid towns. Patrols"self explanetory". Rescued prisoners return to a town or to your castle.

Im soory, I just dont see much need, actually.  I mean, did someone follow a group of refugees around, to see where they go?  They SHOULD head towards nearest town(of their faction), but you also need to take into account they may run into bandits, deserters, (rogue)veterans, pirates, war parties, ect.  That would make it a bit difficult to just run to the nearest town.  As to Foragers being a "confiscation/theiving detail", the first thing I thought was "to wander in search of forage or food" (from http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/foraging ).  I dont know why you wouldve thought of a raiding party first.

Tralfaz said:
Im soory, I just dont see much need, actually.  I mean, did someone follow a group of refugees around, to see where they go?  They SHOULD head towards nearest town(of their faction), but you also need to take into account they may run into bandits, deserters, (rogue)veterans, pirates, war parties, ect.  That would make it a bit difficult to just run to the nearest town.  As to Foragers being a "confiscation/theiving detail", the first thing I thought was "to wander in search of forage or food" (from http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/foraging ).  I dont know why you wouldve thought of a raiding party first.

it says what they are doing if u hover the mouse over their party... and if they are travelling somewhere it would say "travelling to ______" but all it says is patrolling which is riduculous... 5 farmers and 1 peasant women should haul ass to the nearest frendly town or castle so as not to be caught by bandits
as for the raiding/foraging thing.... foraging does mean to look for food not steal from towns come on people pay attention in english class.

powertothemidgs said:
it says what they are doing if u hover the mouse over their party... and if they are travelling somewhere it would say "travelling to ______" but all it says is patrolling which is riduculous... 5 farmers and 1 peasant women should haul ass to the nearest frendly town or castle so as not to be caught by bandits
as for the raiding/foraging thing.... foraging does mean to look for food not steal from towns come on people pay attention in english class.
Umm, what if they run headlong into bandits, which would be avoided by scouting(patrolling) the surrounding area once in awhile.  Ive yet to see a group of peasants/refugees do nothing but patrol, Ive seen a couple switch from patrol to traveling.

the peasants could also run to the nearest frendly group of people and join them

Thats an option, but I think there might be a limit needed, otherwise, you might wind up with a group of a thousand or more.

eah there should be a limit and if it is acceeded then the group splits in half or something

Tralfaz said:
Thats an option, but I think there might be a limit needed, otherwise, you might wind up with a group of a thousand or more.

I agree whit you Tralfaz and powertothemidgs.

there souldn't be huge groups of people when this theorie is worked out cause bigger groups should be more agresive and go into enemy terain.

Plus: I've observed a swadian caravan that was attacked by the dark_hunters. very close to that there was a swadian war party
PATROLLING. OMG go help that caravan!!

Yeah, THAT I agree with!  Ive actually said that out loud once or twice.Maybe a variation of combat AI so that if an allied group sees a caravan(or whatever)bing attacked by a larger force, they will go help.  If sides are even, they wont(will have some variance so that theres no, "If they had 1 less person, Id go help" thing happening, but thats a really good idea.

powertothemidgs said:
First, you are one to talk about english, given your atrocious grammar and punctuation.  Second, foraging is often a euphemism (can you say euphemism, class?) for stealing.  Also, given the chance, a foraging party would take food from the other side's lands.  Your interpretation is probably closer to what was intended, but his is not necessarily wrong.

What would be nice for forager motion (as an example) is that they spawn, roam around, stopping very often, and add food to their inventory.  Once it is full, they should return to a town, which then spawns another party of a more militant type, size of the spawning party to be determined by how much food was brought in (which is based off of the size of the foraging party).  Foraging parties should also spawn from warparties, and return to them often.

Warparties should spawn in only two ways-in response to another warparty or slightly smaller party (no warbands forming to kill deserters, for instance) entering the vicinity of the town, or to attack a town.  The stated goal of the party is not to actually kill the town (with medieval technology that would be quite difficult), but to rape, pillage, and burn the lands around the town.  That task done, they return to friendly land and dissolve into multiple smaller armies.

Ok, but youd need to call them something else, like "Raiding Party", as it would be more accurate/less debateable.

Huh?  You mean intent?  Well, we already have bandits and veterans and such that will approach your group, then turn away if your group is larger or, (sometimes), even if they outnumber you, theyll still turn away(must make some kind of determination that success isnt likely, or theyd attack.  Simply put, the mobs dont move to attack whenever they see you, so theres definately some determining factor.

Merentha said:
powertothemidgs said:
First, you are one to talk about english, given your atrocious grammar and punctuation.

there is a huge difference with not having correct grammer and punctuation then getting a words definition wrong... if i really cared to i could type this out formally.. but i dont really feel like it because everyone can understand me fine anyways without correct grammar

No. I don't bother reading any posts which are poorly written; it's not worth the effort. Obviously the writer agreed with my assesment, as they didn't put any effort into writting it.

Back
Top Bottom