Google is King!

Users who are viewing this thread

Wu-long

Sergeant Knight at Arms
That is a topic I saw on a site similar to Facebook called Gather where you earn money for posting and etc. Anyhow They were talking about how Google is gonna beat Facebook with its new secret project. What do you guys think? And if you guys have clue about please click http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979579564 for more information. So in summary Google+ vrs Facebook. Do you guys think Google+ will simply be Orkut+Wave? Those are two notable projects in the past that both have potential to become a social media network like facebook but was never taken to the extreme.

Edit:
No adfly links thanks.

Social Network sites are best example of herding behaviour: as long as it's crowed and functional, more peoples will join it.
Of course it's more complicated than that, but it's the basic idea. New social network site without distinctive advantage could be hard to win the crowd.
There were several examples of these: national one - each nation has their own social network site, such as Chinese Facebook-copy or offering new "stuffs": Fb social network games and its' advance friends connection function or connection to other websites. They got this section really well-covered, etc.
Google is not well-known for their advertising budget (google phone is mostly advertised through Internet, which is their homeground) so unless they offer really ground-breaking features on their Social network site or spend huge money on advertising, I doubt it'd be success.
Furthermore, they wanted to stay independent (denied Yahoo! & M$ offers) AND expand to too many unfamaliar area of expertise. E.g. Mobilephones, e-mails, etc. Yahoo! was already a fine example of this failure: expand too much and failed.
Therefore, I don't think they'd be making any big change on Social network area.

Google's already tried and failed with Gmail, I don't see google+ doing much better. Unless they offer features that Facebook doesn't (which they haven't) they won't get this off the ground anymore than they did with google spaces.

Edit:
Facebook is a second-rate search engine.
Lolwut? :lol:

Wu-long said:
That is a topic I saw on a site similar to Facebook called Gather where you earn money for posting and etc.

If they're going to pay people, then I'd call it an advantage over facebook.

Eh, Facebook is a spam generator and its functionality is crap (seriously, if you don't post regularly then your posts don't show up on anyone's newsfeed, mooting the entire point). I like google, but then again I only use if for the Checkout, Gmail, news, and it's gloriously uncluttered search engine.

@Shatari Eh...Shatari that is debateable with all the backlinking the news you get sometimes isn't as spam cluttered proof as you think but then again you gotta be big to be able to keep it going lol.

@Eluryh Question is who is worst? Xb

@Nomad Heh so your saying they should work together when Facebook has decided to work with Microsoft? (Proof:-snip- recall that Microsoft has bought skype not so long ago. -snip-])

@mournful It is actually I enjoy posting there despite how little, I earn some people earn oh about 200 dollars per month though which is decent extra cash don't you think? Despite the lack of "games" and etc. But it is a social media site so I wouldn't mind if it was like that aha. IF you wanna join here is a link http://codeofsilence.gather.com/joinme.action.

@Moss heh, just called it so cause it sorta does fit the definition well I don't know if it is official definition but it sure does fit what I thought of it aha. Besides its compared with one another on Alexa-if you don't believe. (-snip-)

@Azreal but they did mention they will have a newly hired crew of around 62k for that development didn't they? So who knows after they "catch" up what they would do but I guess that they also are opensource which holds them back since Facebook can copy/remake what they have.

Wu-long said:
@Shatari Eh...Shatari that is debateable with all the backlinking the news you get sometimes isn't as spam cluttered proof as you think but then again you gotta be big to be able to keep it going lol.
:?: I have never been spammed by Google.

I would use a social network by Google.

I seriously can't stand the way Facebook does things, like how they like to change things which work perfectly fine like their IM system, to be ridiculously retarded. Which just happened.

Or how they like to introduce new "features" that change existing users privacy rights so they end up sharing even more against their will or knowledge.

I think you'll be discovering the answer to that real soon, big boy.  :wink:

I think this is what Moss meant.
Orkut and Wave. Wave is there form of skype sort of thing buh online web chat of course. And the Orkut is there form of facebook . Have a look for <snip> and <snip>.) What Moss may have meant by fail is that Google wave is no longer undeveloped perhaps cause it was good or bad, I wouldn't know for I only recently found out about it. As to Orkut is still existing but not popular compared to facebook. Although the interface is cleaner. Here is the comparison.

<snip> Orkut results.

Wave Is no longer on alexa ranking charts.

<snip> Facebook results. By Far facebook won.

@Shatari backlinking and various forms of spam is hidden but i don't mean directly feeding you spam just it is more hidden even though it is similar.

@Tibertus thought you were gone aha glad to see you back. And yes Google has a decent style of keeping things clean for example Orkut.com

Mod Edit: No AdFly links. Use another, non-spamming link shortener or post the direct links.

Wu-long said:
@Shatari backlinking and various forms of spam is hidden but i don't mean directly feeding you spam just it is more hidden even though it is similar.
Facebook keeps forgetting that I don't want **** sent to my email everytime someone on my friendslist or a group I'm in hiccups. Google has sent a grand total of 1 email since I created my account. It was the "Hello, and welcome to gmail" message. Winner Google.

Moss said:
Google's already tried and failed with Gmail, I don't see google+ doing much better.

The main problem with it is making an account for it. A couple of days ago I decided to make a new account and the goddamn site asked for my cellphone number. My cellphone number, really? I already got enough spam text messages from the phone company itself, last thing I need is a new swarm of "send BLBLAHBLHA to XXXX and recieve the best jokes every day!" messages.
Anyways, I invited myself using my old gmail account and it allowed me to make the new one in a more standard fashion.

D'Sparil said:
Moss said:
Google's already tried and failed with Gmail, I don't see google+ doing much better.

The main problem with it is making an account for it. A couple of days ago I decided to make a new account and the goddamn site asked for my cellphone number. My cellphone number, really? I already got enough spam text messages from the phone company itself, last thing I need is a new swarm of "send BLBLAHBLHA to XXXX and recieve the best jokes every day!" messages.
Anyways, I invited myself using my old gmail account and it allowed me to make the new one in a more standard fashion.
So they change the policy about making gmails. Once, I, don't remember why, created 30 gmails accounts and only until my 31st they started asking for my cell phone number  :lol:

Arzeal said:
D'Sparil said:
Moss said:

So they change the policy about making gmails. Once, I, don't remember why, created 30 gmails accounts and only until my 31st they started asking for my cell phone number  :lol:

It is mainly because few years ago a number of bots have been used to undermine Gmail security system which resulted in a false accounts used to make a number of youtube accounts and etc.

Back
Top Bottom