Glancing Blows

Users who are viewing this thread

Something really needs to be done to fix these things.  It seems like 1 out of every 10 attacks just glance off your opponent regardless of what weapon you're using and what armour they have on.

I've had a 1h battleaxe glance off a naked person  :???:

Not to mention that your weapon has an optimum range. Using a long weapon while you're rubbing noses will do less damage than using a shorter weapon in that situation or creating some space.

inox_ionizer said:
Could it be that you are hitting people at the start of your swings?
No.

Arch3r said:
Yes, you need to aim your swings so they hit in the middle of the animations, not the end/begin.
Obviously.

TheNarrator said:
Not to mention that your weapon has an optimum range. Using a long weapon while you're rubbing noses will do less damage than using a shorter weapon in that situation or creating some space.
Obviously...

As harsh as it sounds, swing better. I really don't have a problem hitting people. I'm guessing maybe 5% of my hits will glance.

I think the glancing hit check is a little weird. I often have glancing hits while I'm right facing my opponents, and at just optimum range.  I also often face the situation in which both me and my opponent thrust while charging at  each other, and often I find that at first my attack land as a glancing hit, but the next moment his attack land with full damage. And spear seems do full damage thrust at hugging distance often. I'm not sure if it is because of my bad network link though, since I've been seeing weird things all day, such as someone block my attack successfully while facing me with his butt.

Max.Pain said:
I'm not sure if it is because of my bad network link though, since I've been seeing weird things all day, such as someone block my attack successfully while facing me with his butt.
Yes; high ping (over 100-150) will make the "glancing blows" system seem broken, as what you see on your client is not what the server is using for calculations - what seems to you to be a perfect hit might be the opposite on the server, since the positions and angles of the players will be different.

Yea lag causes a ton of glancing blows even if they are well placed hits. Quite often I will land 4 or 5 well placed hits and they all glance off. I never had this issue until 1.130 when they pretty much messed everything up.

It's not lag
It's not distance
It's not swing location
It's not weapon choice
It's not armour choice

It's a problem with the game itself.

We all have the same Warband as you have so why it is that only you suffer from this terrible mistake in game development?

Oh, come on, you are just turning into swing too much or something like that. You just don't notice it and then come here to rage how the game is broken. There are lots of tips how to avoid glancing...

Max.Pain said:
I think the glancing hit check is a little weird....I also often face the situation in which both me and my opponent thrust while charging at  each other, and often I find that at first my attack land as a glancing hit, but the next moment his attack land with full damage.
This ^

I understand the concept of glancing but the rules seem quite fickle.  I can, with my HBsword, chamber a Great Sword and have mine glance w/ my opponents followup attack being a thrust do full damage with no change in the range.  Swings as well.  My swing will hit right before my opponents, mine glances while his does not and usually the same HB vs Great Sword scenario.  This has happened many, many times.  I've gotten behind people and had my overhead strikes, on his helmetless head, glance. 

I'm fine with the concept, but the implementation is quite tempermental.  Also there has been far more glances after 1.30, imo. 

Idea= good
Inconsistent judgement in the glance laws = bad  :neutral:

It feels to me your ego is too fragile to admit your own mistakes. It's always easier to blame the game.

Glancing can be a couple things.  I think, though not 100% sure but if damage is too low you will glance, I think sometimes like a scimitar vs highest armor and you will seem to glance more often, but really I think in native the only time you will glance is when you trigger the sweet spot.

Sweet spots have 2 phases, the first does nothing, the second interrupts with minimum damage. This all seems based on the amount of time that has passed since you released a swing, not quite exactly where you hit in the swing per say. This is why a thrust that misses then is turned back into you will do damage at point blank range, or why you can thrust straight down at point blank range and hit someone's feet (impractical in a regular fight).

I think if you have a lot of lag people might not be in quite the place you think they are, resulting in a glance. Sometimes people also move into your swing, especially now since there is a lot more facehugging/swinging round each other now a days, you are likely to have people run into your weapon early, causing the glance.

I don't really see an excessive amount of glances or something appearing weird, most all my glances are from sweetspot early hits, but I tend to stick to US servers where i have 15 to - 60 ping.

Tumetsu said:
We all have the same Warband as you have so why it is that only you suffer from this terrible mistake in game development?

Oh, come on, you are just turning into swing too much or something like that. You just don't notice it and then come here to rage how the game is broken. There are lots of tips how to avoid glancing...
Guarantee I'm not the only one.

NinjaX said:
It feels to me your ego is too fragile to admit your own mistakes. It's always easier to blame the game.
Seems to me you're too much of a blind fanboy to admit that something is wrong with the game.

Derp that was easy.

----

I usually have under 60 ping, so its not lag.

Back
Top Bottom