Glancing Blows

Users who are viewing this thread

I have the same issue as Nero, it isn't only him. After one of the patches I'll get these periods where 100% of my hits glance nomatter how well I hit someone, even if they are standing still. It IS a game problem.

Pretty much this
Mad_Dawg said:
Max.Pain said:
I think the glancing hit check is a little weird....I also often face the situation in which both me and my opponent thrust while charging at  each other, and often I find that at first my attack land as a glancing hit, but the next moment his attack land with full damage.
This ^

I understand the concept of glancing but the rules seem quite fickle.  I can, with my HBsword, chamber a Great Sword and have mine glance w/ my opponents followup attack being a thrust do full damage with no change in the range.  Swings as well.  My swing will hit right before my opponents, mine glances while his does not and usually the same HB vs Great Sword scenario.  This has happened many, many times.  I've gotten behind people and had my overhead strikes, on his helmetless head, glance. 

I'm fine with the concept, but the implementation is quite tempermental.  Also there has been far more glances after 1.30, imo. 

Idea= good
Inconsistent judgement in the glance laws = bad  :neutral:

NinjaX said:
It feels to me your ego is too fragile to admit your own mistakes. It's always easier to blame the game.
Ahh, far from it.  I do incredibly dumb moves all the time that cause my demise.  But there are times, like I described, that seem the mechanics were inconsistent.  I feel in no way is anything "broken" or the game is at fault, I'm just explaining my experiences with glancing blows.  But trust me, I know when I screw up and it's often.  :razz:

Nero_the_Great said:
Do you guys even play multiplayer?
You are an idiot. In other words, yes, I do (did, can't play now due to studying).

It's easy to blame mechanics for your shortcomings, but the glancing mechanics are clear and work perfectly. I've never had a hit glance if I didn't deserve it. The problem with Warband is the ****load of parameters that determine the damage and efficiency of an attack. That makes it difficult to analyze your mistakes, and frustrated players will easily blame it all on a fault in the game when they see something they don't understand. It happens regularly that I see complaints on the forum about game mechanics when I simply know they work correctly, but are quite complicated. Even veteran players get these things wrong from time to time.

@Mad_Dawg: the optimum range of your weapon is not the very tip, it's slightly closer than that. Hitting an opponent with just the tip is quite obviously a poor hit. This penalty is hard to notice on swings, but it has a massive effect on stab attacks. Contrary to what you believe, this is not inconsistent, it does it all the time.

Being point-blank hit by footed great lancer and then having your 2h great long axe, wielded as 2h, overhead him with basic swadia white helmet, and bouncing off, that's not my fault.
Pointed out also that both were standing still.

Harlequin_ITA said:
Being point-blank hit by footed great lancer and then having your 2h great long axe, wielded as 2h, overhead him with basic swadia white helmet, and bouncing off, that's not my fault.
Pointed out also that both were standing still.
I can only reply to that that I have never experienced anything of the kind myself.

The sweet spots have always been broken in my opinion. I think that the beginning of the swing-time should be decreased and the end-swing time increased. I'm tired of my swing being "too early" for the game, but the end of my opponents swing does full damage.

In real life, it would be reversed. The only time that a hit should glance in the beginning of the swing is if the weapon is pretty much touching the guy. Even with a little space, you can use your stance to cause a nice amount of damage (not optimum, but enough to cause flinching) Likewise, the end of the swing should glance more, due to swing recovery.

On a similar note, something needs to be done with hit detection. With this increase of mega-circling (not a bad thing, but not a good thing either. I blame the kick-nerfing), I've been getting hit for full damage more and more times by people who manage to stick their arm through my body. Normally, an attack from this angle would either glance or be absorbed by my shield.

All in all, I think the sweet spots need to focus more on distance to the weapon instead of the timing of the swing.

I've never had a problem with glances apart from when I have really high ping, in which case you're never quite turning as you think you are as far as the server's concerned.

Never had a problem with the glancing system, personally. Keep practicing and you'll get to understand it.

The real fun comes when you can abuse it :razz:.

Archonsod said:
What I want to know is why it's never my opponents who are affected by this problem.

You must be getting rusty, hot shot. I never see you putting in any face-time with CoR these days :neutral:.

Never had a problem with glancing
But, one time a guy chamber blocked a sword swing with his fist
It was actually pretty epic
3 guys were ganging up on him, and he deflected a sword with his forearm

Dear OP,

Altough you don't specify it , i'll assume because of my gaming experience, you are referring to glancing while using a 2 handed weapon. I suggest you to raise the sensitivity of your mouse in the game option, so that when you select a lateral strike, while keeping it ready to go , you can easily turn 90ish degree to your right or left. need to be fast, click attack and let go, by the time you let go you should already have turned.

thats how i solved the issue.

Funny thing is that i actualy often complaing about glancing to be broken as in my experience it seems to be working, in a bugged kind of way, just for 2 handed. I'll mention that since beta time I always used a 2h setup(2h, shiled, throwing weapon is enough money) but i can say from what i saw that:

distance is bugged(very long polearms stabbing you toe to toe, i remeber of an instance or few with great lances that was just lol worth )
sweatspot ( never saw a 1handed weapon bounce of me, funny someone mention the goddammend 1h op axes,  countless time i've circle round a bad player that goes to swing in front when i made it to his very back, just to be wounded, killed by the goddamn faster, 90% more used left swing which hits from the very beginning of the animation, too fast to possibly be allowed to be blocked by the game mechanic.

now i circle to their right but doubt that is solved.

About very long weapons doing damage on hugging distance; could it be that they only do so when chamberblocking? I got the impression of that when doing some great lance duels, though that was months ago.

inox_ionizer said:
About very long weapons doing damage on hugging distance; could it be that they only do so when chamberblocking? I got the impression of that when doing some great lance duels, though that was months ago.
No, also normal attacks.
Btw, also rider vs infantry sweetspots are fail, explanation:
Infantry standing still and swinging from left to right, cavalry coming on infantry right, which mean he'll get barely hit by the ending of the slash.
Cavalry swinging from right to left, which shall be correct side.
Cavalry lose 90 % of the hp due to being hit very hard even though sweetspot shall have saved him, surely.

Harlequin_ITA said:
inox_ionizer said:
No, also normal attacks.
Btw, also rider vs infantry sweetspots are fail, explanation:
Infantry standing still and swinging from left to right, cavalry coming on infantry right, which mean he'll get barely hit by the ending of the slash.
Cavalry swinging from right to left, which shall be correct side.
Cavalry lose 90 % of the hp due to being hit very hard even though sweetspot shall have saved him, surely.

WHEN I HAVE A TWOHANDER, I RUN TO THE RIGHT OF HIM CHAMBERING MY SWORD LIKE A SWING FROM MY LEFT TO RIGHT, HE WILL THINK I WILL JUMP TO HIS LEFT, BUT GUESS WHAT? I DIDN'T, I JUMPED TO HIS RIGHT AND TURNED MY MOUSE AS FAST AS I COULD SO THE GLANCING DOES NOT AFFECT ME, OR JUST EVADE AND DO OVERHEAD, OR DO A CHAMBERBLOCK WITH AN OVERHEAD.
I AM NOT SCREAMING.

Back
Top Bottom