Games that feel like chores: A Warning Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Weren said:
Here, I disagree heavily. With community patch 1.7 you wont experience much bugs at all. You need a powerful machine, but that just depends about you.
Average story, great immerse world, good graphics, but godawful combat system which ruins the game pretty much completely.

Fixed.

A game which turns from a series of missions into a tedious, repetitive chore is the first Assassin's creed. I'm going to check the second out at some point and hopefully see that fixed.

Nahkuri said:
Weren said:
Here, I disagree heavily. With community patch 1.7 you wont experience much bugs at all. You need a powerful machine, but that just depends about you.
Average story, great immerse world, good graphics, but godawful combat system which ruins the game pretty much completely.
Fixed.
That's the first impression, atleast it was for me, But ye get used to it...with time.

Empire: Total War is good with better AI yes, but I really dislike the siege, which was one of the best aspect of the previous Total War games

Nahkuri said:
A game which turns from a series of missions into a tedious, repetitive chore is the first Assassin's creed. I'm going to check the second out at some point and hopefully see that fixed.
Judging from reviews and friends, AC2 fixes almost everything that was wrong with AC.

Rody said:
Empire: Total War is good with better AI yes, but I really dislike the siege, which was one of the best aspect of the previous Total War games
I like the new siege system, much easier.

I always thought lategame Civs felt too boring.

Rody said:
It's the first time I've felt sieges work in a Total War game. At least now you get cannon on the towers and walls, although it would be nice if one day you could actually put your own artillery on them.

Half life 2 felt like a chore to me. Oh, those horrible vehicle levels.. why? Once you're over those though, it's great.

Pretty much every MMO I ever got to play.
And RTW. Playing as Carthage is just pure slaughter. Actually, any higher civilisation is just a case of exhaust the other guy on your own turf, advance, rinse and repeat.

Sushiman said:
The Airboating is the best bit!

Too bad there's not more of it.
The car part though. That's just painful.

Hyperion said:

They made the car work in Episode 2, the buggy was a pile of wank though.

Every single game which is based around a linear storyline.  The lack of any sort of freedom ruins all fun that could possibly be had.

Rilder said:
Every single game which is based around a linear storyline.  The lack of any sort of freedom ruins all fun that could possibly be had.

That's a little narrow-minded IMHO. A linear storyline doesn't necessarily mean lack of interaction, immersion, and fun. Some games I play just to advance the plot and see what happens in the end. Excellent writing and gameplay are the things that hook me in and provide a more memorable gaming experience, not pointless freedom and non-linearity, which are overrated anyway. In fact I find those things to be more of a chore than anything else, as I am a perfectionist and I'll want to see every little outcome, exploring every nook and cranny, until I finally get sick of actually playing the game. But that's probably just me.

Suspect-Device said:
Hyperion said:

They made the car work in Episode 2, the buggy was a pile of wank though.

The only part where the car worked is when you are being chased by the helicopter, I agree with you about the buggy. What made the airboat better than the other vehicles is that you were constantly dodging obstacles and tackling enemies as you went. With the buggy you just drove from place to place, only really doing anything once you had stopped. With the car it was similar with only the above helicopter chase being fun.

Exactly now if Episode 3 included a vehicle section where you were constantly chased/attacked by enemies where your vehicle could be used against them (Rather than having to keep getting out), like the airboat section I'd be happy. Not exactly sure what vehicle you would use or what the excuse would be to have tunnels o'loading everywhere.

You didn't have to get out of the car to kill enemies. You had Alyx as a turret and the front of your car for some fun.
You only needed to stop for the advisor, the rebel camp, the inn and if you wanted to take the caches which you can skip without a problem.

Back
Top Bottom