Games that feel like chores: A Warning Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

So, I was playing a game I bought on the cheap at a garage sale, and I realized after about a half hour, "This game's no fun!"
So I decided to make a topic where forumers could post games to avoid.

Age of Castles
The Chosen: Well of Souls
Gothic 3 (Amazing game, but so much lag as to render it unplayable)
Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring
Star Wars: Force Commander
Hinterlands: Orc Lords

mcbeverage101 said:
Here, I disagree heavily. With community patch 1.7 you wont experience much bugs at all. You need a powerful machine, but that just depends about you.
Average story, great immerse world, good graphics, but somewhat dull combat system.

Total War games (and, indeed, any map-based game with many many cities to manage) after gaining at least 30-40 regions it starts to get tedious and I care less and less about cities and want more and moe battles, although especially in TW games the battles get worse because most enemies are decimated and the AI blows chunks.

Still enjoy them up to that point and by then i usually restart.

Before I get to 50 regions, due to the sheer amount of time involved in that game (and I don't entirely trust speeding the battle up until the enemy is at least 80% fleeing, plus then there is no sound), I end up playing something else for a few weeks and by the tiem I get back to the game I will probably end up starting a new one as someone else.

But by the time you have 40+ Cities you will have so much money that you can just buy everything without having to think about it.

Also, I ****ing love playing as the Seleucids, challenging at the start but they become awesome later on.

1) Assassin's Creed (The First one)
2) Late game in the Civilization series
3) 90% of FPS
4) Left 4 Dead

mcbeverage101 said:
So, I was playing a game I bought on the cheap at a garage sale, and I realized after about a half hour, "This game's no fun!"
So I decided to make a topic where forumers could post games to avoid.

Age of Castles
The Chosen: Well of Souls
Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring
Star Wars: Force Commander
Hinterlands: Orc Lords

Isn't that new game "Risen" an installment in this series?

Sir Prince said:
Total War games (and, indeed, any map-based game with many many cities to manage) after gaining at least 30-40 regions it starts to get tedious and I care less and less about cities and want more and moe battles, although especially in TW games the battles get worse because most enemies are decimated and the AI blows chunks.

Still enjoy them up to that point and by then i usually restart.
Viking Invasion for M:TW1 has the best campaign in the entire series. The campaign consists of the British isles and a region or two in Norway. You won't get bored due to the scale of things. I don't think there is even a total of 50 regions in the map.

Archonsod said:
Pfft, Total War didn't get interesting until Empire, before that it was all zerg rushing to victory :razz:

I'm just bummed that ETW is a steam game. Now i cant go into descr_strat.txt and create my super armies :grin:

Is Empire's AI as bad as I heard? (Britain in particular)

No, it's probably better than the previous games in the series. Diplomacy is actually possible unlike previous TW games and the game feels a lot less tedious towards the end due to it not being "Siege: Total War" like the others and various other things which make the endgame a bit more interesting.

People make a fuss though.

To get descr_strat to work again, copy and paste it to the desktop and modify it from there, then copy and replace it back in the folder. Job done. I use steam, and I've unlocked all the factions.

Maximus183 said:
Archonsod said:
Pfft, Total War didn't get interesting until Empire, before that it was all zerg rushing to victory :razz:

I'm just bummed that ETW is a steam game. Now i cant go into descr_strat.txt and create my super armies :grin:

It's there, trust me. I do it on RTW for Steam sometimes, so you should be able to do it on ETW.

bgfan said:
Isn't that new game "Risen" an installment in this series?
Not exactly. But it's basicly what Gothic 3 should have been. There is people currently working on Gothic 4, but so far it doesnt look too impressive.
Risen was gold, though.

Every one of them. Same thing with every game, they start feeling like chore to me unless I have friends to play it with. Bought mass effect some time  ago, played that for 6 hours. Atleast WoW can be played with people you  know well even though none of your real life friends play...

Back
Top Bottom