Gameguru

Users who are viewing this thread

dragos

Hi folks,

Today I've found a game engine called Gameguru by chance on Steam. It claims that it's the easy way to make a game. No need to coding.

Well, I'm studying Comp. Sciences. So I learn some coding stuff in the uni. but there is no lecture that I can improve my game making skills for instance and it's important for who is interested that kinda things :smile: Of course, I can develop a mod for M&B Warband but I guess making a game is quite different from developing a mod. Anyway, what I thought is may be it would be nice if I buy it and improve myself. At least, I make some tiny games.

Can you gimme advice? Should I buy it? Or do you recommend another game engine that is good to start making games from scratch? Actually what I'm looking for is a game engine which is easy and including both coding and the other stuff.

Thanks in advance.

I am wary of "no coding necessary" tools. I know nothing about making games, so others are probably going to give better advice, but I'd say start to learn C# and try Unity, which is a very popular engine for making 3D games.

Making a game without coding is something I endeavoured to do as a kid but as I got older I realised that it was never going to happen. You simply don't have enough freedom unless you code.

Like Phonemelter I suggest you get Unity3D - you can start without writing code as they provide you with the odd snippet and some of there tools don't require any coding. In terms of what programming language you learn, well that's up to you - I learnt Javascript first which translated well into Unityscript. Other languages like C#, VB, PHP, etc all followed after that. I found Javascript a good starting point.

Phonemelter said:
I am wary of "no coding necessary" tools.

That's why I worried and asked some advices actually. Probably the games made by Gameguru are the same due to lack of coding.

For now, I know only Python by the way. I guess we'll learn MathLab next semester and then C.

I'll take a look at Unity. Thanks for the replies!

Unreal Engine is now free for non-commercial projects. It's much more powerful than Unity but Unity is really cheap for commercial projects, so that's why many indies and small studios use it.

The "no coding necessary" game "engines" only allow you to create modules, basically. Whether's it's this Game Engine or the RPGMaker or good old Unlimited Adventures, that's their limit. You might as well practice your designing skills by making mods for M&B or modules for NWN2 or by modding Skyrim.

People can make some really stunning stuff with Unity, and it's 64bit now too.

Deployment from Unity to a mass number of devices is superb.

Unity and Unreal are both very good. For a non-experienced programmer, Unity is the best way. Unreal is in C++11 (with a lot of flavor) and has much less resources (for now). For a beginner, Unity is the way to go.

I don't know about Unity 3D but the older versions were **** for optimizing and some Unity games suffered from performance issues that were not justified.

As a programmer you shouldn't put much emphasis on the programming language, as they are just tools. With experience you should be able to jump from one programming language to another, as in their core they're much alike, and a good coder doesn't need much time to get used to a new one. And with game programming the issue is even less existent: most of the time you're using functions provided by the engine.

Unreal Engine 4 goes even further with the new blueprint system - most things can be done with sort of graphs instead of actually coding. The logic however is much like coding. The concept is hard to explain, but rather easy to use and get used to.

Here is an example picture:
3580-crane.png

Back
Top Bottom