Freeze in any scene + unable to enter options

Users who are viewing this thread

Twan

Sergeant Knight
I'm playing Mount&Blade since about 3 weeks (gamersgate version patched 1.11) and the game worked fine (except one or two rare crashes) untill yesterday.

Since yesterday, I encounter the following problems :

- complete freeze when I enter any scene, be them taverns/castles or combat ; my character is unable to move ; I always get a cursor like for archery, but am unable to move it too ; sometimes there are also strange graphic distorsions (texts blurred or things like that)

- sometimes my characters get strange numbers of hp like negative values in thousands

- crash to desktop when I try to tab out of scenes (no error message except sometimes the windows one "windows had to close this program")

- Runtime error when I try to access the options screen ("Runtime Error ! Program D:/.../Mount&Blade.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way")

The problems first occured when I was playing Sword of Damocles mod and with cheat mode on, but they then happened in native and other mods too, with or without cheat mode, and for both old saves and new characters.

I've tried a lot of things in configuration menu like removing vertical sync, running the game with or without pixel shaders and with less or more quality.

I've reinstalled and re-patched the exe, but I have the same bugs.

Dxdiag find nothing strange. I've also searched and found no malware on my computer. Other games work fine.

I've changed nothing recently in my configuration (athlon 4200+, geforce 6600gt, realtek AC97 audio, windows xp sp3, 1go ram), my computer is rather old but was running the game fine, all drivers are last version which have not changed since months.

I've found some errors and a vertex buffer memory reallocation in the rgl_log...

(...)
Loading Resource  uni_sideways
Loading Music...
WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME PRESENTATION CODE:  prsnt_game_start
WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME PRESENTATION CODE:  prsnt_game_escape
WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME SCRIPT CODE:  game_check_party_sees_party
WARNING: UNABLE TO MAP GAME SCRIPT CODE:  game_get_party_speed_multiplier
Loading Module...
(...)
launch complete.
Switching to menu window...
vdt_regular :Out of Static vertex buffer memory. Needed =  205248 Available: 200000
Expanding Buffer Capacity to  256560
begin_setup end_setup begin_setup end_setup begin_setup end_setup

What should I do ?

If you did a search you would find several of us have had this exact error(rgl file). I have tried getting a better video card(geforce 3 to geforce 7600gt 512), and updating all video drivers, completely deleting and rebuilding my sound card drivers(have an XFI platinum), wiping my game and reinstalling it. This hasn't changed a thing, i still have the exact same error and problem. You don't mention your specs in this post which may help others figure this trouble out...mine stand at:

Win XP Pro-SP3
AMD Athlon 64-2800
Geforce AGP 7600 GT 512
X-FI Platinum Sound Card
512 ram
Version 1.011 of the game

The more i look at this error the more sure i am that it is a sound card problem, though when i installed this new video card i did get a ! error in my task bar that stated the smallest virtual memory setting was too small, after the first error shutdown of M&B. I resized my VM to 15,000-both settings(?) and still get the freeze. From the rgl error file it still looks as if the error occures when loading music. It would be nice to be able to play this game again, enjoy the wonderful mods that are out there......from the support we are getting here looks like we are **** out of luck though. Sorry, i know you guys are trying but it just ain't feeding the bulldog.

dwain

btw-for yucks and giggles i just set virtual memory to "let Windoze decide"(something i abhoar because windoze just keeps sucking space and slowing down-ram is much faster than VM)...same error, no change

You don't mention your specs in this post

Perhaps not with sufficient visibility :wink:

me said:
athlon 4200+, geforce 6600gt, realtek AC97 audio, windows xp sp3, 1go ram

ps : where is the thread about this exact problem ? I did several searches before posting, but just found people having problems in big battles or other things like that

pps : how can a now commercial game have "no technical support" ?

ooops my bad......thx

dwain

enter yer rgl error into search..........good luck man

oh ...because it is a single persons game...which makes it great on one hand, and lousy for our troubles...i love this game, folks don't get my *****ing wrong and i wholeheartedly support the single coder idea...it just sucks when u get this sorta troubles....

Thanks for making me aware of other threads about this.

After trying (a lot of) things suggered by different users I've just found one fixing the problem for me :

Going to Documents&Setting/(user)/Application Data*/Mount&Blade and deleting options.dat and rgl_config.

After doing that and relaunching the game I can enter options, and the game seem to work normally (I can at least enter taverns and battles without freezing, even if the warnings are still there in the rgl log).

I've also noted, the vertex buffer part of the log is different :

"vdt_regular :Out of Static vertex buffer memory. Needed =  492923 Available: 200000
Expanding Buffer Capacity to  616153 " (now)

instead of

" Needed =  205248 Available: 200000
Expanding Buffer Capacity to  256560
begin_setup end_setup begin_setup end_setup begin_setup end_setup " (before I deleted options.dat)

So I imagine, before I deleted option files, they bugged the program so it wasn't fulfilling the real M&B need of buffer capacity.

* the folder may be invisible in windows xp familial edition, so may need activate "see invisible files"

:grin:
OMFG.............itWORKEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

thx TWAN u da man

not sure how i missed that little tweak, but u caught it, i am playing again!!!!!

guess we will see how long it holds but it is a simple thing to redelete the files...see ya got some mods to check out

....see this is why gamers rock :oops:

dwain

"BUMP"

Lotsa folks having troubles may find this is the solution. I have had to redo this "fix" about 7 times now, but it always fixes it.

dwain

The warnings in the log are normal.

The rgl_config file is built by M&B to keep the game options and the hardware settings. If deleting that solves the problem, then it's either a setting in the configuration / game options which is causing the problem or something is altering the file itself (or it could be a permissions thing, though I've not seen it before).

man.. IT WORKED~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thx!! i allready gave up... i had the exact same problem!!
thank you so much man!! im back to M&B!!

Back
Top Bottom