Freelancer should be implemented into vanilla Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

On TW's defence, they have to make sure that everything is working smoothly before they announce that feature. Modders, on the other hand, is not doing all these tests. Not all of them at least. I'm trying to test all edge cases as far as I can before release anything however it's sometimes extremely hard to test some cases. Still personally I'm always trying to stay in line and preserve lore and game balance.

However, I must also say that everything TW adds is not also working 100% smoothly all the time, so it's almost impossible to cover every single case - and this is exactly why they have the Beta branch. Release new features, get feedback, fix it. Do that until it's no longer causing issues, and release to a stable branch. And 90% of CTD I receive is mainly related to unknown logic happening inside the TW's code or because I'm finding workarounds to that code - so if I had the source code, those wouldn't be in there as well.
As long as you are doing new stuff in the Beta branch, people will also stop complaining about slow updates as well - I seriously don't get why Beta branch and stable branch is getting hotfixes nearly at the same time.

The main quest would be so much more fun if it started with something like this. It's so baffling that they won't consider adding this playstyle as an option, it's perfect for this game. It totally rejuvenated my enjoyment of Bannerlord, made becoming an actual vassal feel like an achievement, made the difference between a lord and a solider feel significant.

Agree with this. Freelancer mod is great and really enjoyable.

@Bloc have you maybe plans for expanding mercenary gameplay? Something like making the player feels like an actual mercenary with unique/different troops like minor clans.

@Bloc have you maybe plans for expanding mercenary gameplay? Something like making the player feels like an actual mercenary with unique/different troops like minor clans.
Short answer, no. Made a change on the mods page now to align with expectations.
Announcement
Thanks for all the suggestions and attention. I'm not going to take any other suggestion since the mod itself is already delivered way more than it should and also because of the fact that I won't create new features and mods for the Bannerlord anymore.

There is obviously a reason why I'm dropping this. But you can read all about this discussion in here if you want.

Most of the modders in nexusmods brought a lot of features to this game which should already be in the major game and the community itself started to gain a strange "modders will do it anyway" attitude. This is problematic. Modders are not here to "fix" the game. Modders can add additional content that can't be added by TW ( Such as roman conversion mods or Star Wars etc ) or they can add optional features. However, currently, average Bannerlord users always feel like they HAVE to use mods. If someone needs mods to use your product to enjoy, it basically means you are doing a terrible job.

I hoped that TW would change this ridiculous attitude towards its own community and modders. But it's clear that this is not their intention. Modders are not their free workforce. We are pouring hours/days/months of our free time and effort to create something enjoyable for the community. But if the main company is trying to block this or not lifting the roadblocks that they put intentionally, then there is a major issue with the mindset. And I won't be part of this circus and waste my effort.

And no, I won't release it's source code unless I somehow change my mind as well. Please don't ask for it and if you do, don't surprise when I say no.

Short answer, no. Made a change on the mods page now to align with expectations.

Really sad to read the thread you have posted, and to read that you are not going to continue ?... Did not know about that thread you have posted. I am pretty sure that TW’s plans for releasing this game for consoles has much to do with all of this. Why would you buy a game which relies on mods if you cannot get these mods?

Time to move to different games I suppose...

@Bloc does this mean you are done supporting freelancer for future compatibility or just done adding new features and future mods?

I love what you've done with your mods and completely understand your decision to halt any further development or support in general. Thanks for your hard work, you definitely made SP better.

@Bloc does this mean you are done supporting freelancer for future compatibility or just done adding new features and future mods?
Yes, no more patches or whatsoever.
I will probably publish another mod soon though - which will be a really simplistic version of what I had in mind and I will publish that because two people supplied a story about it and I don't want their effort to go in vain.
However I won't provide support for that mod either, so if next update breaks anything, it will stay broken.

I will probably publish another mod soon though - which will be a really simplistic version of what I had in mind and I will publish that because two people supplied a story about it and I don't want their effort to go in vain.
However I won't provide support for that mod either, so if next update breaks anything, it will stay broken.

Pity we can't crowd fund you to develop a fanbased version of BL.

Rest in rip the dream of playing this game again. It really does look like I have to wait until full release.
XXCLTblX.jpg

Got it. Completely understandable, hopefully™ TW is able to see the light and provide the modders the freedom they need to make mods. It of course would be better if they understood many of these mods should be in the base version but I have less hope™ of that :sad:.

At the very least thank you for proving that features like freelancer were completely possible and within the realm of expected gameplay. I'll be riding freelancer out until it dies.
giphy.gif

Thanks for all your all your work put into mods. I had hope for more raiding mod update when 1.5.10 hit main branch. That's sad but understandable. I even remeber early version of more raiding where you could kill children and teenagers which TW broke with an "update". It forced you to make workaround...

Just to follow up on our discussion on your mod page: You deleted my post and banned me from your mod page for stating the - obviously uncomfortable - truth that the only people who you really punish are US - the players of your mod. I will just reaaaaaaaaaaally shortly re-capitulate what I said just for everyone who didn't read it because of your Blitzkrieg against me just offering my opinion. I said I would understand it if you said: "You know what guys, TW makes BL modding really hard, so I will not update this mod regularly, maybe it will take months for me to do so after an update, maybe a year or longer. I will not feel any kind of hurry because of the way TW structured or permits access to it's code." I'm a programmer myself of 20 years, I know working with foreign code is about as horrible as it gets, even more so code that constantly changes - which it does as far as my own experiments with BL modding are concerned. So all of the above would be acceptable and I said that in my comment, along with I respect your talent as a dev. But to simply state: You will get nothing. Nothing. From here on out, 100% promise, just because I am trying to get back at TW trying to make you gamers not play BL anymore by not modding. TW - who made it possible for me to be a mod of a game with thousands and tens of thousands of hours of content backed into it and which - by their grace - I have the privilege of changing content for. Holy **** man, that's really f'ed up. Yea man, you can do whatever the f you want in your free time. But telling us that this is about TW not structuring code as you want to when it's actually you just wanting to leave BL modding to do other stuff is really something else. And the one guy who won't praise you for lying to us you censor away and make sure his opinion doesn't reach the light of day. Pathetic. Which is also an expression from my opinion on your mod site. An opinion that you will have to accept as out there. And ask around on this forum, I wear attempts at silencing me as a badge of honor, no matter how many people fall on their knee before you for your decision to simply discontinue updating a mod that probably literally thousands waited for since inception of the game - for a different reason than the one you gave us, or simply as a punishment that hits us the players to get back at TW for petty ego disputes. How much does it really take to prepare your mod for 1.6.1? Could be a couple of lines, could be a little more. You don't care. Because TW doesn't make some variables available (or something like this, which if I'm informed correctly by one of their recent posts they already started moving their strategy/position on). And I myself have a history of hiding my own code, I have made significant investments in the past of obfuscating code I sold - so I'm totally with you on not sharing code..... that I'm maintaining and supporting. But suuure. If you share your code then some clever kid could take up updating your code - which is free and completely and utterly useless for all other ends and purposes, destroy your crusade on TW and thereby render your punishment ineffective... no no, can't have that. You stupid peasants can't play this mod ever again. Muahahahahaha.... Or something petty/childish like that.

With all due respect and most important of all sincerely, Some random guy with an opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom