Freelancer should be implemented into vanilla Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Just for the record for the admins/mods: I said what I wanted to say, if Bloc doesn't answer, then I don't need to talk further. But if you're gonna restart this discussion with "I really don't get this guy.." then I sense all you're trying to do is incite sentiment. You know what, fine, but hopefully the admin wrath won't come down on me alone.
See it this way: We could be playing the current version of BL with improving sieges with Freelancer, if this guy didn't try and lead some kind of pointless crusade and just published the source code - which won't bring him ANY money whatsoever in any legal way (it's impossible, believe me I checked). IF he did that chances are high with a couple of changes in a couple of lines of code his mod would be working with 1.6.1, there would be enough enthusiasm to make it working, I myself would look into it. Thus there is a ready and working mod laying around which probably only needs a few function parameter fixes or something of the kind. It won't bring the author any money one way or another and it's only laying around so TW (the players) are punished for ... who knows what he is really angry about.
So to resume, you...
... like Freelancer
... want to keep playing with it
... have 20 years coding experience
... could identify that only a couple of lines would allow the mod to be 1.6.1 compatible

So why not developping a light version of your own and share it?
It looks like you have the motivation, the skills and understanding required to make this new project successfull.

Bloc apparently will not accept people to reverse back some of the current code but I guess there are plenty of workarounds.

I normally ignore people like you but since you already blurred the water I will clear it up. And I won't be nice, because why would I? I will post only one message since you are already derailing the thread.

First of all, I deleted your message and blocked you in nexusmods because you were being self-entitled toxic prick. You are not the first one and I'm sure you won't be the last. You were "disrespectful" not by your self-entitlement only but also by using words like dumbness, pathetic, childish etc about a free-mod and effort from a person who has nothing to gain out of it.

Let me say this in bold, you have absolutely no right to tell me what to do and how to use my own code and my free time. Period. That alone is a good reason for me to ignore you completely but you also choose to be insulting with your snobby manners and hence the toxicity and ban. nexusmods page is not your "I stated my opinion" place. It's a mod thread.

You also either didn't read what I said in the sticky message or you ignored the part where I say the problem is not only TW but also the toxic community. Which you demonstrate perfectly.
Modders are not here to satisfy your laziness. We don't have to provide code or maintain what we did. And if you are getting mad at modders because we are not doing something in our own free time with our own efforts, you have serious issues.

It expressly says "with all due respect"
Just because you said this doesn't make your statement respectful. Then I can say "..with all due respect, **** you." but that wouldn't be nice, wouldn't it?
And "logically" the favor still goes out from TW to the modder as he does not pay for the access and it reasonably cannot be presumed that an individual modder will have a great impact on the games sales.
That's not how it works. I own the copy of the game which grants me the right to be able to reverse engineer its reverse engineerable parts and analyze it according to U.S. Code § 1201 - Circumvention of copyright protection systems. I made font bigger so you can read.
Clause f
(f)Reverse Engineering.—
(1)
Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and that have not previously been readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention, to the extent any such acts of identification and analysis do not constitute infringement under this title.
(2)
Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (a)(2) and (b), a person may develop and employ technological means to circumvent a technological measure, or to circumvent protection afforded by a technological measure, in order to enable the identification and analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, if such means are necessary to achieve such interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title.
(3)
The information acquired through the acts permitted under paragraph (1), and the means permitted under paragraph (2), may be made available to others if the person referred to in paragraph (1) or (2), as the case may be, provides such information or means solely for the purpose of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer program with other programs, and to the extent that doing so does not constitute infringement under this title or violate applicable law other than this section.
(4)
For purposes of this subsection, the term “interoperability” means the ability of computer programs to exchange information, and of such programs mutually to use the information which has been exchanged.
hence it's perfectly legal. Moreover here is Bannerlord EULA https://store.steampowered.com/eula/1393600_eula_0
1.3 You may not (i) display, duplicate, dismantle, reverse engineer, circumvent, repurpose or otherwise attempt to discover the source code or trade secrets embodied in any part of the Mod Tools or the Game itself without TaleWorld’s prior consent;
and modders do have Taleworlds's prior consent.
So your entire argument is pointless.
just a non-criminal/practical form of blackmail
lol No it's not? How's this different than a normal player saying "You are not adding any content to the game, I'm done" and leaving the game? Is this also blackmailing? As a modder and player, I did my best to show TW what players want and what I want personally as a player as well. And people were expecting Freelancer, that's why it got so many downloads in such a short time. But TW enjoys ignoring these facts. Not only Freelancer but many other extremely fun mods that should be in base game are not in the base game. And you are all dependent to those modders now. And because of that, you think you are entitled to say something - which you are not.
I'm just offering an opinion
No one asked for that.
How much does it really take to prepare your mod for 1.6.1? Could be a couple of lines, could be a little more.
Create your own mod from scratch. Then make "a couple of lines of change" if you want. Should be easy since you claim that you have 20 years of experience and act like you know it all :wink:

actively working to ensure that modding is easier for you that is a privilege
No, it's not. You are all thinking as if this is a free-to-use engine for game developers. It's not. It's an engine that TW and only TW owns and all the mods that people do are actually helping to TW in long run by providing more players and longer playtime for it's players by increasing enjoyment. "They are adding modding capabilities, all hail to TW" is same as saying "They added feature XX to game, all hail to TW" because both are useful for the game and for the company. Modders are not getting anything out of it. I know people who bought Bannerlord just to play Bannerlord Online, I'm pretty sure same will happen if Vikings mods are out or Napoleonic Wars mods. So now tell me who did a favor to who? If a non-profit bunch of people pouring days and months of their free time and effort into something and you are gaining extra players/profit out of it as a company, modders is the one who are doing you a favor.
You should see modding capabilities extension as a normal game feature that they are adding as an investment to game.
he should have released the source code if hes given up modding this game
I should? Why? As I explained, it's my code and I can do whatever I want and make a statement out of it if I want to - which I'm doing. TW should man up and stop relying on modders. And yes they are relying on modders in many areas right now and they are enjoying this.
For example, here is a nice short quote from our very own CM
...And even if that doesn't amount to the changes that you and some others would like to see, at least you already have access to an awesome mod that provides you with the gameplay experience that you want! :smile:
So basically he says "Even if we don't fix the battle and armor issues, you already have access to mods. Rely on them", You can rely on mods if it's a total overhaul mod like Roman mod or LotR mod. But if a mod is "fixing" your game and used by everyone because otherwise game sucks, then you have issues.
I won't quote it here to send him notification because he will post something out of the context random stuff to prove he is alive but you can read it from here https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/real-battle.445307/post-9726326

So to resume, you...
... like Freelancer
... want to keep playing with it
... have 20 years coding experience
... could identify that only a couple of lines would allow the mod to be 1.6.1 compatible

So why not developping a light version of your own and share it?
It looks like you have the motivation, the skills and understanding required to make this new project successfull.

Bloc apparently will not accept people to reverse back some of the current code but I guess there are plenty of workarounds.
I tried for an hour or two, made it so you can auto-follow armies around with the camera while your own char is hidden/not rendered (as far as I remember, it's a few weeks back, yup I didn't know about Bloc's mod, only found it afterwards) but wasn't able yet to get into battle with that army you're following. Would take me probably another week or two to get something JUST "not un-playable", without troop type, promotions, etc. He on the other hand has a ready mod laying around there. I'm just saying.... :wink:

Last edited:
See it this way: We could be playing the current version of BL with improving sieges with Freelancer, if this guy didn't try and lead some kind of pointless crusade and just published the source code - which won't bring him ANY money whatsoever in any legal way (it's impossible, believe me I checked).
See it this way: Bloc did a proof of concept freelancer mod to show TW that players love this feature and that it is possible. But instead of "wasting" more of his unpaid freetime to develope the mod he dropped the mod, which is totally fine. Now TW could notice that this mod is popular (like it was in Warband, so what a surprise...) and add it into the game. You know the company who gets paid for stuff like this...but you´re more interested in blaming Bloc...I don´t know...

I'm just offering an opinion
No one asked for that.
Well then, that's not really how freedom of speech really works, now is it? As said, I think you will just have to learn to live with my opinion about this.
See it this way: Bloc did a proof of concept freelancer mod to show TW that players love this feature and that it is possible. But instead of "wasting" more of his unpaid freetime to develope the mod he dropped the mod, which is totally fine. Now TW could notice that this mod is popular (like it was in Warband, so what a surprise...) and add it into the game. You know the company who gets paid for stuff like this...but you´re more interested in blaming Bloc...I don´t know...

Nah, I said I respect his dev talent, as a dev I can tell what it took to make this. And now it's dusting and will with every version iteration be more and more difficult to "bring back".

Last edited:
Well then, that's not really how freedom of speech really works, now is it? As said, I think you will just have to learn to live with my opinion about this.
Sure, and you will have to live without the freelancer mod until TW or any other modder will add it. I´m counting on you, 2 weeks isn´t that long.

@Spinozart1
He on the other hand has a ready mod laying around there. I'm just saying.... :wink:
He is basically saying that he is lazy and wants a daddy to hold his hand. Should be fun for him to live as a freeloader.

Anyway I won't waste my time on your ignorant toxicity. I also advise people not to derail this thread since it's not about Freelancer mod but the idea itself in general. I already reported that guy as flaming since this is what he is doing for the last two pages

@Spinozart1

He is basically saying that he is lazy and wants a daddy to hold his hand. Should be fun for him to live as a freeloader.
Well it is the impression I had after reading her/his reply.
Anyway I won't waste my time on your ignorant toxicity. I also advise people not to derail this thread since it's not about Freelancer mod but the idea itself in general. I already reported that guy as flaming since this is what he is doing for the last two pages
Speaking about the OP, I will take this opportunity to change my statement.
Freelancer defintely needs to be implemented in base game (though it will never reach the potential of your mod).

Speaking about the OP, I will take this opportunity to change my statement.
Freelancer defintely needs to be implemented in base game (though it will never reach the potential of your mod).
Yes. I don't understand why it wasn't part of the base game to begin with. It would have been one of the first things I implemented. The only reason I can think of why it isn't is because many of the lords a lot of times take very strange marching paths, doing the same bs over and over, and thereby often not seeming very intelligently and that could set you up for a kind of boring play because you wouldn't get into any action really just sit there and watch the lord ride around, follow bandits, only a few meters, and back, and another circle, and so on...

EDIT: Anyway, Bloc already reported me, not really for any valid reason, but f it. I stopped expecting reason a long time ago in this forum. Just to precede the incoming admin action (hey, he's Archduke after all :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:): See you all in another few months, hopefully we can play Freelancer then in one way or the other.

Last edited:
Yes. I don't understand why it wasn't part of the base game to begin with. It would have been one of the first things I implemented. The only reason I can think of why it isn't is because many of the lords a lot of times take very strange marching paths, doing the same bs over and over, and thereby often not seeming very intelligently and that could set you up for a kind of boring play because you wouldn't get into any action really just sit there and watch the lord ride around, follow bandits, only a few meters, and back, and another circle, and so on...
Good point.
Players may have less tolerance regarding AI behaviour if it becomes a base game feature.

Good point.
Players may have less tolerance regarding AI behaviour if it becomes a base game feature.
Oh and just to add: the other thing I found is that it doesn't really work with the current "pacifism trend" that was built into the latest versions. There's war for a little while, in which Freelancer is very enjoyable, even if the lord does some nonsensical circles for a few minutes he gets called often to participate in the faction leaders army. But then peace is voted on, and more often than not approved. Then you're really only circling hoping for some bandit action which isn't really satisfying. So to tell you the truth: I don't expect TW to integrate this very soon. Back then with the "Ouhhh noou, one faction is steamrolling" hysteria they really killed all basis for this feature. I was playing it with 2 mods that prohibited peace. As said, enjoyable :smile:

Like i didnt play the mod and from what i here it was really good.

Having Taleworlds make there own version and adding it to the game would be good for everyone due to it not breaking (hopefully) when the game updates which is an issue with mods theres also a certain exepected quality if its a feature of a game not a mod (Not to say mods arent high quality i just dont expect them to Be AAA game quality as its a person doing it in there free time for free) and if Taleworlds do add it other features can be built off of it that a mod may not be able to do

it makes me laugh when some people blame the modders who do a good job rather than Taleworlds who don't give a damn, it's a bit of the studio's cowardly strategy not to respond that they use to redirect the anger of some players to something else on which they can interact

This was like watching aunts and uncles fight with parents and among themselves about who loves the child the most and what is the best for its future.
The parents think home raising is the best, aunts and uncles think the kindergarten they work in is better for the child
Some harsh words were exchanged.
The parents have the last word.

We all make up and move on by having a civil conversation on how to convince the principal to accept it into the best primary school we all agree on, no matter what happens in the meantime.
The end.

@Piconi here to drop what just happened in this thread

giphy.gif

This was like watching aunts and uncles fight with parents and among themselves about who loves the child the most and what is the best for its future.
The parents think home raising is the best, aunts and uncles think the kindergarten they work in is better for the child
Some harsh words were exchanged.
The parents have the last word.

We all make up and move on by having a civil conversation on how to convince the principal to accept it into the best primary school we all agree on, no matter what happens in the meantime.
The end.
The way I see it the parents want to put down the kid to get back at the kindergarten staff for not ironing the kid's socks.. that'll show em.

Last edited:
...we as players are in no position to demand anything from modders.
I once made a small mod for Fallout 4 and had some guy call me a monster and a nazi for denying his request to add a second branch of the mod that would be compatible with an obscure mod he used. I had to ban him from the mod page to stop him from constantly spamming, and then after all of that whining and complaining he went and made it himself and posted it to the nexus. So naturally I reported it as stolen and had it taken down, just out of spite.

Maybe I am a monster.
As much as I love Broc for making these awesome mods, he should have released the source code if hes given up modding this game. In fact, someone could (if knowledgeable enough) copy his mod and move on from there developing it (whether he gave permission or not).
His mod, his choice.

Back
Top Bottom