Freelancer implementation in Single Player

Users who are viewing this thread

TPSky

Recruit
Are there any plans to implement a mechanic similar to the Freelancer mod that allowed for the player to have different career paths in the early game, such as, serving as an individual in an army?

A while back the community manager @Dejan commented on a thread stating it wasn't currently in the works but didn't outright dismiss the possibility of it.

I think this would be a huge boon for the game and would open up many more role play possibilities as well as adding some much needed gameplay diversity to the early game.

That's the corporate way of saying no.
You're right that it's the corporate way of saying no, but it doesn't mean that they never will do it, just that they haven't planned to at the point. I would love if SaS/Freelancer was implemented to the base game though, but it's unlikely of them adding it if I'm being honest.

You're right that it's the corporate way of saying no, but it doesn't mean that they never will do it, just that they haven't planned to at the point. I would love if SaS/Freelancer was implemented to the base game though, but it's unlikely of them adding it if I'm being honest.
It would be amazing if they implemented it to an extent. It's such a great mechanic that adds so much replayability and solves a lot of the problems I see within the early game.

Listen man I’ve played games for yrs and always some poor smoes r like u.don’t keep ur hopes up bc more in likely what we got now is all we’re getting. all game companies care about one thing.it’s just a business to them they don’t care what games stand for,an escape from reality

Are there any plans to implement a mechanic similar to the Freelancer mod that allowed for the player to have different career paths in the early game, such as, serving as an individual in an army?
Hey, the stance on it hasn't changed. The current plans don't include a Freelancer-like game feature.
Listen man I’ve played games for yrs and always some poor smoes r like u.don’t keep ur hopes up bc more in likely what we got now is all we’re getting. all game companies care about one thing.it’s just a business to them they don’t care what games stand for,an escape from reality
We continue with our approach that was discussed back in Post-Release plans - there's certainly more to come for Bannerlord.

Hey, the stance on it hasn't changed. The current plans don't include a Freelancer-like game feature.
I didn't expect it to be implemented, but just in case, could you please bring it up when TW has a meeting on adding new features? I reckon that Freelancer and Custom Troops (à la My Little Warband mod) are the most requested features (after Co-op, but I assume that it's unfeasible).

Last edited:
There's a 1,000,001 things that would be good to add to BL but Dev's only can handle a small number each release. Next release is for Console Kiddies so expect things that will appeal to this audience. Release after that will be Multiplayer, I think ? , so etc etc. Maybe after that, if there is a strong support for an idea, Devs will listen.

I personally want to try being a Bandit King, attacking peasants, ambushing lords, and organising huge bandit raids etc but i don't expect that until 3 - 4 releases into the future ? maybe ?

We continue with our approach that was discussed back in Post-Release plans - there's certainly more to come for Bannerlord.
Id hope but I’ve learned not to hope in real life or with game companies

Thank you for the response Dejan. Excited to see what you have stored for the future development of Bannerlord.

With all due respect, Freelancer and Serve As A Soldier are some of the most popular mods and I can attest to that. If you're really saying there won't be these kind of options going forward, I urge you to reconsider. This is a profoundly tone deaf decision.
Bethesda literally sold THE SAME GAME 5 times in large part due to mods and feedback from the modding community.

I reckon that Freelancer and Custom Troops (à la My Little Warband mod) are the most requested features (after Co-op, but I assume that it's unfeasible).
I would say some other features are more frequently requested such as diplomacy-related changes and Feasts but I agree, the ability to serve as a soldier is towards the top. Sure, we'll bring it up in the relevant meeting.
Thank you for the response Dejan. Excited to see what you have stored for the future development of Bannerlord.
No worries, thank you for joining along for the ride.
This is a profoundly tone deaf decision.
We plan to support Bannerlord well into the future but with a Sandbox game as broad as ours (in terms of the many different gameplay loops and niche features within them it can entail), there are always trade-offs to be made in regards to what to work on next and in the long term. Sure, the ability to serve as a soldier is a frequently requested feature but so are many others. As mentioned, we currently don't have any plans for it but we still may explore it in the future.

I would say some other features are more frequently requested such as diplomacy-related changes and Feasts but I agree, the ability to serve as a soldier is towards the top. Sure, we'll bring it up in the relevant meeting.
Yes, I forgot about diplomacy features, that would definitely be number 1 (couldn't care less about feasts). Something I would add is 2-3x faster/shorter day & night cycle and higher death chance for heroes in battles the Player takes part in so that multi generational dynasties are actually realistically possible to play as.

Last edited:
We plan to support Bannerlord well into the future but with a Sandbox game as broad as ours (in terms of the many different gameplay loops and niche features within them it can entail), there are always trade-offs to be made in regards to what to work on next and in the long term. Sure, the ability to serve as a soldier is a frequently requested feature but so are many others. As mentioned, we currently don't have any plans for it but we still may explore it in the future.
I guess... But the mod still exists (though it's terribly outdated). So there's that. I'd have thought the code would not be too different to the mercenary route that is currently implemented.
Fwiw, would a survey of player's favourite mods be a good idea to gauge what would be popular going forward?

None of this matters though until the sheer amount of bugs are fixed- I can't play for more than 20 minutes without minor bugs, and I can't play more than 1 hour without a game breaking bug occurring. It's just ridiculous. I'm currently stuck in a siege which won't start, surrounded by enemy armies that are allowed to gather so now I can't even leave the army with the enemy lurking about.

Last edited:
Fwiw, would a survey of player's favourite mods be a good idea to gauge what would be popular going forward?
It may be interesting as an additional step, but I believe checking the Steam Workshop and other modding platforms to gauge interest probably brings in very similar results.
None of this matters though until the sheer amount of bugs are fixed- I can't play for more than 20 minutes without minor bugs, and I can't play more than 1 hour without a game breaking bug occurring. It's just ridiculous. I'm currently stuck in a siege which won't start, surrounded by enemy armies that are allowed to gather so now I can't even leave the army with the enemy lurking about.
For this, I would very much encourage you to report the bugs here and we'll follow up on them.

It may be interesting as an additional step, but I believe checking the Steam Workshop and other modding platforms to gauge interest probably brings in very similar results.
Well for one thing, serve as a soldier isn't on the workshop. Nevertheless, diplomacy features should be TaleWorlds' biggest priority for new features no matter how popular it is.

For this, I would very much encourage you to report the bugs here and we'll follow up on them.
Ok I'll be sure to do so. I'm sure I have a mod that gives me a detailed list for when there's a bug but I'm fairly new to using it.
How would I report a bug? Do I have to paste any specific information that comes up?

Ok I'll be sure to do so. I'm sure I have a mod that gives me a detailed list for when there's a bug but I'm fairly new to using it.
How would I report a bug? Do I have to paste any specific information that comes up?
Just follow the instructions here and open the thread in the same board.

Well for one thing, serve as a soldier isn't on the workshop. Nevertheless, diplomacy features should be TaleWorlds' biggest priority for new features no matter how popular it is.
I'm in the m

And no doubt the response will be "don't play using mods as they break." I'm literally staring at a black screen atm as the game just won't show the world map after defeating some bandits (1.1.5)

Back
Top Bottom