Foxhole- Running With Rifles, But For People Without Jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

I had a good session yesterday. I hadn't played properly for a year or two, though I had logged in a couple of times in recent weeks to try and get back into it, and recently I had been present at the progressive loss of a few of the Callaghan sectors. Yesterday I rejoined the war and, on the Colonial side, I spawned at Partisan in Fisherman's. I cannot tell you what I did initially, for it is classified (well it isn't, but it's a very important thing and probably should be kept secret), but it will suffice to say that I helped with constructing a large item that rhymes with Warm Bannon. I cannot tell you exactly where, because Wardens might be listening!

Soon after the above mystery thing was completed, news came that the enemy was inbound from the north, including a Main Battle Tank. I learned later that the Wardens had more of the resources necessary to build these, which was why we were suffering similar threats across the global front. Anyway, a short way across a bridge to the north, very close to the border with the adjoining zone (the map is now separated into different zones, which you cross via a loading screen that takes about 10 seconds. There are different named sectors within each zone.), we had a line of trenches and a few foxholes set up. I joined the throngs at Partisan Town Hall hastily gathering weaponry, but unfortunately I only learned later that the AT rifle I had chosen could not harm heavy tanks. I was taken in the back of an amphibious vehicle up to the front (barely faster than running, actually), and we were verbally guided into positions by Captain Cockface (I think I have his name right; in any case, it was the kind of name I usually mentally roll my eyes at, yet I respected his authority and decisive leadership of the front-line defence).

We knew the tank was approaching in the first place because people had been over the border into the Warden zone earlier, and had seen it, but I wasn't sure how soon it would be appearing. I only had to wait 30 seconds or so before the tense, near-silence was broken by urgent shouts of "It's here, it's here, shoot the tank!" and "Where? Where exactly, north of the road...?". I got a peek of it at the edge of my screen, on the road running through our defensive line, and opened fire, along with at least one other AT rifle on my screen. Unfortunately, from the moment of opening fire, I probably lasted less than a minute; we certainly killed a few infantry with nades and bullets, but the tank rolled on unscathed, blowing up our trenches and us with them.

Upon respawning we were instructed to take sticky bombs (RPGs were very few and apparently wasted by inexperienced hands, according to the raging of vets such as a fellow named Derp- he was one of the people taking charge after this initial fight; I can only presume the good "Captain" had died and decided not to repsawn) and head up to the bridge which was only a short way behind the front, where the MBT would only be held briefly by the remaining defences. Upon arriving at the bridge I crossed over to find a few last men desperately shooting down enemy infantry from within the remnants of our trench line, and I myself managed to land a few pistol hits and possibly kill one Warden, but then the MBT took me out again; it never got close enough to land the sticky bombs. Respawning and once more armed with a few stickies, I ran to the bridge again and we were told it was going to be blown. Unfortunately, the vital satchel charges were not there yet, and there was confusion as to what was going to happen, with some people still crossing to vainly attack the approaching MBT. We managed to keep them back with the aid of our meagre defensive line behind the bridge, and the use of gas grenades proved very helpful in this effort. Eventually, the bridge was indeed blown, after which the effort was to keep the enemy from rebuilding it, for which purpose the gas grenades continued to be used.

From this point I started being a logistical trucker, ferrying bmats and a bit of weaponry to the front. I read in the chat about a few attempted naval landings by the Wardens, with at least one landing of six men succeeding, but we did not suffer much damage from these incursions. At length, the Wardens evidently ran low on supplies and fell back, to the great relief and satisfaction of every Colonial in Fisherman's Row. At this point there was a lot of bitter arguing in the chat box, with one bloke insisting that we go north and take two sectors, and everyone else saying it was completely unfeasible and we would be destroyed. The arguing included a fair bit of bad language and even threats of team killing and destroying of each other's vehicle should the other person dare to take resources from Partisan TH. Anyway, we rebuilt the bridge we had earlier destroyed, and rebuilding of the front began. However, not a great deal later the Wardens returned, apparently with up to three MBTs- again the order to retreat and blow the bridge was given. Unfortunately this time someone had stocked a small outpost north of the bridge with various supplies, including 1000 bmats. Not unreasonable given the effort to rebuild there, but I think this quantity was unknown before the bridge was blown, so there was a frantic effort for half a dozen or so men to swim across the gap in the broken bridge, clamber up and then traipse back across with 50 bmats at a time. We did indeed manage it I think, though as this endeavour came near to completion I was tragically killed for the first time since before the first bridge demolition more than 3 hours earlier. Some fool started using some of the remaining bmats to begin rebuilding the bridge, so I had to go around to the shoreline and try to reach him and the remaining bmats before he finished. Derp, however, took swifter action to prevent the enemy having a crossing point (they had not appeared in our zone yet), and threw a gas nade at the foolish builder. This saved the situation, but left me coughing my lungs up. At this point I decided to call it a day.

I intend to return now to Fisherman's and see if the Warm Bannon is ready to use, should the enemy penetrate the zone far enough to necessitate such a decision; wish me luck fellow Colonials!

Back
Top Bottom