Foxhole- Running With Rifles, But For People Without Jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

It's a persistent world game where you work with a large group of friendly players dispersed across a massive map to capture towns and various points of strategic value. Don't expect to conquer the map in an hour. It's very much a game where you log in for a few hours and hope that the five guys you managed to kill during that time were sorely missed somewhere when other people made a push that barely managed to break through the enemy lines while you're gone. It's top-down, in the style of Running With Rifles, but very slow paced and deliberate. This actually translates exceptionally well to a game like this, because it means that the treks feel proper long and you've got a rather limited vision at all times. You can't just climb a hill and see the entire map, so every step, no matter how secure you should be, is tense, and your finger is always on the trigger. I've died several times as I just strolled through a town or the countryside around it that was multiple towns and several miles behind the front line, because a couple of enemies had bypassed them and popped up in the random occupied city that our engineers are casually building trucks in, with a blowtorch in their hand, and their backs turned to the road, as they stand in the back of a garage. Everything about the place seemed tame, as various support troops buzzed about until the guy shot me in the gut and left me bleeding out on the side of the road.

So, this game is really great. It's one of those games where every single death matters and you sit in your foxhole an entire ingame night (about half an hour) peering No Man's Land with drastically reduced visibility while the enemy very occasionally fires of a shot in the general direction of your line or you catch a fleeting glimpse of a proping enemy scout, who retreats the second a noise is made, leaving you wandering fearfully if any of the outgoing shots neutralized the threat, or if he simply slinked off behind another rotting log to try and pick off a defender 15 minutes in the future.

Unless you bind yourself to a barracks, you spawn in the wilderness and are left to wander the countryside for several minutes until you either finally stumble into a town or catch a passing truck carrying artillery shells to the ever-evolving frontline and hitch a ride. Occasionally during the ride through what seems to be unoccupied countryside a shot will ring out from the forest and plink off the truck, and the driver won't even slow down, because the truck full of ordinance is infinitely more important to the war effort than investigating the source of a stray bullet. If the truck doesn't show up, that's two men in the cab that won't be there to shoot bad guys, and the artillery of the town will have no more shells to hold off the ever encroaching hordes.

My last life, the team chatfeed was brimming over with requests for support at the bombed out town of Woodbind. I arrived in a truck full of riflemen, ready to participate in an epic struggle, but upon disembarking all that happened was a brief scouting expedition in the fading evening light wherein a few scattered and independent foes were wounded and executed by our patrol before pulling back to the defensive perimeter of the town. What followed was a very long time patrolling the perimeter of the town and shooting at the occasional enemy while hearing the churning engines of vehicles just out of view along the road and the periodic explosion from across town, where the enemy had decided to launch an assault. The whole time I was sat at the Eastern gate of Woodbind, a guy on the other side of town was screaming in chat how Woodbind had been completely lost and to stop sending reinforcements into the meat grinder because there was no hope of reclaiming it until morning, when a concentrated counter-attack could take place. I was just sitting there starring nervously out into the darkness, wondering what could possibly have gone so wrong a few away minutes from my pillbox. A lone enemy happened to stroll too close and got several shots in his fleeing back for his trouble. In the morning, it turned out the town was secure after all, and some guy paused for a moment to loot the unfortunate guy I'd shot in the back the night before as we advanced out of town for our turn on the offensive.

I wanted to take a break for a little while, so I decided to go do as much damage to the enemy as possible before logging out and flanked all by myself in a very wide U shape until I came up behind the enemy. A couple of riflemen in foxholes saw me as I lurked just out of range and took potshots, but none landed. I backed off for a minute and continued out of sight down their line, until I came across a couple of guys milling about outside of their foxholes. I abruptly stopped and fired into their midst, killing one of the panicked and scrambling soldiers and potentially fatally wounding another, before the third managed to take me down.

git dis game and play w/ me plz. I want to be a badass spec ops squad of people in Teamspeak who leave camp in the dead of night and toss grenades into enemy pillboxes before crawling back as the sun rises, like a latter day Helm Hammerhand equipped with a rifle and plastic explosives.

Oh, and it's free on Steam in pre-Alpha at the moment. Though I've not encountered any bugs so far. It's just not feature-complete. http://store.steampowered.com/app/505460/

I tried it after discovering it from your post in the other thread, it's pretty fun. I was playing alone but this is definitely a game you'd enjoy a lot more playing as a squad with other people.

Oh ****, I need to get back into it. Playing as an engineer is great, grinding never felt so great as when your machine gun bunkers stop an enemy assault.

I only played for about half an hour, and spent most of that time shuffling supply into a town. All in all it seems really interesting, but I couldn't find a tutorial which would be really beneficial.

Well, gave it a shot. After one session, I can certainly say that Steam is showing 8 hours played already, and that the sun rose hours ago.

C8kRg.jpg
gUL5O.jpg
NY9Dd.jpg
ywtde.jpg
tntnu.jpg

For that six hours I was on the second server, we managed to push like 300 meters South. It was the only town that changed hands that day. Many heroes died and were born over and over again for The Latch.

Yea, man. I love how slow this game is. I just played about 7 hours, and during that time a causeway over the river was taken, and the town on the other side was captured after a hard fight. Besides that, a couple of probing attacks by both sides tested various other fronts and were promptly repelled, but nothing of any significance happened. I spent almost the entire 7 hours as a truck driver. You feel surprisingly fulfilled after mining and manufacturing equipment and weapons for half an hour, then showing up with much needed stuff. I spent a lot of time taking a truck full of artillery and mortar shells back and forth from our main base and a distant front, dropping off shells and instantly hopping back in the truck to get more. It felt good to know that the Not Germans (trademark Titantoe) were being shelled into bits by several different mortar crews with ammunition I had created and ferried all by myself. It was amusing when I forgot to get more fuel once and wound up stranded in an almost-captured enemy town with sporadic gunfire all around and had to bum a couple of tanks off of another supply truck when he stopped to drop off his supplies.

The core concept is solid at least. I hope they really mean it when they say it's an early prototype though. Plenty to improve upon.

It's a lot like what I was hoping Planetside 2 would be, now that I think about it. That game desperately needed logistics stuff and less emphasis on the individual over the collective effort.

Back
Top Bottom