Forging Armor

Should Taleworlds implement armor forging at some point?

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Maybe? Post in the comments

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord of Banners

Sergeant at Arms
I feel like the smithing system needs some changes to say the least. After that is "fixed" and other more pressing improvements are impleemented I think armor forging should be implemented either as a mod, DLC, or addition to the game while still in EA. What do you guys think?

Smithing is currently FUBAR and is still in early Alpha condition.

- Prices/materials/perks are imbalanced as ****.
- The recently added smithing order system is half-baked as well - I can get a 500 denar reward for stat requirements of a tier 5 weapon, but some wrought iron hoe can yield literally thousands of coins and smithing EXP.
- Smelting yields way too much resources. I don't even need to by iron ore. A couple of large battles and I have hundreds of ingots almost for free!
Smithing part grinding is atrocious:
- Wow, you have just smelt a tier 5 fine steel two-handed claymore?? WOW, good for you! Here, have a schematics of tier 0 crude iron pickaxe, pal!

Currently the devs need to:
- Rebalance the pricing of raw materials (hardwood and iron ore). As for now, these are dirt cheap, especially in specialized villages. These were strategically important resources of the time, and must be priced accordingly.
- Rebalance the pricing of player-forged weapons according to final product qualities AND the price of used materials. This must scale with player's skill level.
- Rebalance the prices of all weapons and armor, sold in city markets.
- Redo the smithing material system. Some requirements are illogical (e.g. 2 fine steel ingots for a 1.5 meter blade and 2 ingots for a walnut sized pommel WUT??) Incorporate tanned leather, silver and gold (should be added in the game as well) into smithing materials.
- Redo from the scratch the current smithing part discovery system. At least we should learn, what we actually smelt. Why the **** do I learn a dagger pommel, when I smelt iron hammers???
- Decrease smelting yields. Wooden parts should not be recoverable.
Maybe it is better to remove smelting at all - because I am pretty sure no one actually smelted and reused scrapped weapons and armor before 15-16 century at least. And only modern technology allows smelting and reforging of metals without substantial losses of quality and properties.
- Instead they should give us the ability to restore weapons and armor with negative modifiers (cracked, bent, rusty etc.) to their normal state.
- Remove the smithing stamina (and accompanying perks) completely. If all the mentioned above is properly balanced, there will be no need for an artificial limit. Besides, player character do not need to sleep in this game, can travel or fight without resting for days and months.

IMHO armor crafting will be too much. I would like to see more customization options though.

- The recently added smithing order system is half-baked as well - I can get a 500 denar reward for stat requirements of a tier 5 weapon, but some wrought iron hoe can yield literally thousands of coins and smithing EXP.
- Smelting yields way too much resources. I don't even need to by iron ore. A couple of large battles and I have hundreds of ingots almost for free!
- Wow, you have just smelt a tier 5 fine steel two-handed claymore?? WOW, good for you! Here, have a schematics of tier 0 crude iron pickaxe, pal!

- Rebalance the pricing of raw materials (hardwood and iron ore). As for now, these are dirt cheap, especially in specialized villages. These were strategically important resources of the time, and must be priced accordingly.
- Rebalance the pricing of player-forged weapons according to final product qualities AND the price of used materials. This must scale with player's skill level.
- Redo the smithing material system. Some requirements are illogical (e.g. 2 fine steel ingots for a 1.5 meter blade and 2 ingots for a walnut sized pommel WUT??) Incorporate tanned leather, silver and gold (should be added in the game as well) into smithing materials.
- Redo from the scratch the current smithing part discovery system. At least we should learn, what we actually smelt. Why the **** do I learn a dagger pommel, when I smelt iron hammers???
Maybe it is better to remove smelting at all - because I am pretty sure no one actually smelted and reused scrapped weapons and armor before 15-16 century at least. And only modern technology allows smelting and reforging of metals without substantial losses of quality and properties.
- Instead they should give us the ability to restore weapons and armor with negative modifiers (cracked, bent, rusty etc.) to their normal state.
- Remove the smithing stamina (and accompanying perks) completely. If all the mentioned above is properly balanced, there will be no need for an artificial limit. Besides, player character do not need to sleep in this game, can travel or fight without resting for days and months.

IMHO armor crafting will be too much. I would like to see more customization options though.
I fully agree with this. As much as I would like to see custom armour or the ability to slightly alter them, smithing is currently too messed up at the moment.
I would be happy paying a smith to create a weapon to my specifications though.

+1000

Yes. Weapons are blaaaa for now because a store a bought long glaive is so good and NPCs are better off with ranged weapons, but everyone in the clan can use armor! Lots and lots of armor!

Back
Top Bottom