Fix for some crashes... NOT A BUG THREAD - READ 1st POST

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
appologies if this has already been answered, I looked through the thread, but may have missed it. also, google has been no help either. I am trying to set my VM in Windows 7 32-bit with an NTFS hard drive. according to everything I know about these things (not all that much, really) I should be able to set it above 4gig, but I can't. its acting like a FAT32 drive, but it absolutely is NTFS. I'v triple checked it. Does anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong here?

•Menu Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced
•Performance -> Settings
•Advanced tab -> Change
The tricky part is setting the values right. Microsoft suggests (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417 , Step 2) to set the minimal value as 1.5x of your RAM and maximal value as 3x your RAM (so if you have, for example, 2GBs of ram then minimal is 3.5GBs and max is 6GBs... so that's 3500MBs and 6000MBs). There's plenty of topics on the web with performances results and such revolving around this subject so... Google.
•Save, reboot

When i go to Menu Start and type Settings i dont get anything usefull, im using windows 7 and i have already done the first option. do you know whats wrong?

teun557 said:
•Performance -> Settings
•Advanced tab -> Change
The tricky part is setting the values right. Microsoft suggests (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417 , Step 2) to set the minimal value as 1.5x of your RAM and maximal value as 3x your RAM (so if you have, for example, 2GBs of ram then minimal is 3.5GBs and max is 6GBs... so that's 3500MBs and 6000MBs). There's plenty of topics on the web with performances results and such revolving around this subject so... Google.
•Save, reboot

When i go to Menu Start and type Settings i dont get anything usefull, im using windows 7 and i have already done the first option. do you know whats wrong?

Windows 7 is slightly different, try this: skip that step and go right to the control panel, ->System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings (on the left) -> Advanced tab -> Settings under "Performance"

Abremms said:
appologies if this has already been answered, I looked through the thread, but may have missed it. also, google has been no help either. I am trying to set my VM in Windows 7 32-bit with an NTFS hard drive. according to everything I know about these things (not all that much, really) I should be able to set it above 4gig, but I can't. its acting like a FAT32 drive, but it absolutely is NTFS. I'v triple checked it. Does anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong here?
I have Vista 32bit and NTSF disc and I also was not able to set more than 4GB VM. But even though problems with crashes disappeared, so I guess it is enough... While it is recommended to set memory for one process to 2990 MB in the article, it means, if I understand it well, that 1257 AD should use at most 2990 MB memory, so as I, for example, have 2GB RAM and 4GB VM, it should be sufficient even with some reserve needed for other applications on background. So as long as you don't experience any crashes I would not bother with further increase of VM, especially while I don't know how :smile: But I would also wonder the solution.

Abremms said:
teun557 said:
•Performance -> Settings
•Advanced tab -> Change
•Save, reboot

Windows 7 is slightly different, try this: skip that step and go right to the control panel, ->System and Security -> System -> Advanced System Settings (on the left) -> Advanced tab -> Settings under "Performance"

thanks, its working now i played for about an hour without crashes :grin:

Drakobijec said:
Abremms said:
I have Vista 32bit and NTSF disc and I also was not able to set more than 4GB VM. But even though problems with crashes disappeared, so I guess it is enough... While it is recommended to set memory for one process to 2990 MB in the article, it means, if I understand it well, that 1257 AD should use at most 2990 MB memory, so as I, for example, have 2GB RAM and 4GB VM, it should be sufficient even with some reserve needed for other applications on background. So as long as you don't experience any crashes I would not bother with further increase of VM, especially while I don't know how :smile: But I would also wonder the solution.

see thats my problem, I'll post my specs below, but when I run with a battle size of 200, I have a 50/50 chance of crashing after the battle. battle size below 100 isn't really worth playing for me. I'm not actualy playing 1257 though, I was pointed to this thread from the Floris support thread, so all of this might be irrelevant. Anyways, I thought that maybe more VM would help, heres my specs:

Windows 7 32bit
Core 2 quad 2.71
4gb ram (3.31 usable)
nVidia 470gtx

the hard drive is NTFS (quadruple checked!), and I formatted it for a fresh windows 7 install about a month ago. I dunno, i'm just getting very frustrated, because people on the floris forums are reporting crash free gameplay with 400man battles on lesser machines. anyways, i'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

Did you read the first topic? Did you apply the fix for the 32bit systems? I guess not.

Anyways, me things it's a bit silly with 4b ram to use 32bit operating system in the first place. You're ~700mb. of ram is not being used and goes to waste(yes, there's a limit of how much ram can 32bit operating system "see".). Perhaps it's time to move from the stone age, eh?

DrTomas said:
Did you read the first topic? Did you apply the fix for the 32bit systems? I guess not.

Anyways, me things it's a bit silly with 4b ram to use 32bit operating system in the first place. You're ~700mb. of ram is not being used and goes to waste(yes, there's a limit of how much ram can 32bit operating system "see".). Perhaps it's time to move from the stone age, eh?

yeah, im deffinatly here still posting because I didn't read the first post or take any of the steps there.

I'm not an idiot. I did that. I posted when those steps did not completely fix the issue. I have a basic knowledge of computing. maybe when someone asks for help, you could give a productive suggestion or just not say anything. that sure would be better than insulting me. When I first upgraded to windows 7, it was from XP and when I tried going to 64bit, I had horrible horrible slowdown, nothing worked. It took 18 hours to install and I spent the next week trying to get things working right. I switched to 32bit and had everything up and running inside an hour. there is obviously some sort of hardware conflict somewhere that I just don't care enough to fix for 700mb of ram.

anyways, thanks for "help".

Abremms said:
yeah, im deffinatly here still posting because I didn't read the first post or take any of the steps there.
Most people actualy don't and insted just go ahead and post. If you did apply the 32bit fix and you still get ctd - sorry to hear that.

Abremms said:
that sure would be better than insulting me.
I was not insulting you(atleast - not intentionaly), sorry you feel that way.
Abremms said:
Glad to "help"!  :mrgreen:

DrTomas said:
Abremms said:
Most people actualy don't and insted just go ahead and post. If you did apply the 32bit fix and you still get ctd - sorry to hear that.

Abremms said:
that sure would be better than insulting me.
I was not insulting you(atleast - not intentionaly), sorry you feel that way.
Abremms said:
Glad to "help"!  :mrgreen:

if it was unintentional, then I appologise, but your post read mockingly. this entire process has been incredibly frustrating as my hardware exceeds levels at which others are reporting far better performance, all I want to know is if anyone might have an idea why I can't set my VM higher than 4096, or if that would even help at all. Its doubly frustrating because everything I can find on the internet is running contrary to what I am observing in this case. anyways, sorry if I took offense at nothing. if you have any advice, i'd appreciate it.

is this what i sould do if i get runtime error when trying to start new/cutm game? downloaded from piratebay, exraacted with winrar to modules.

OK I did this for a while and it worked, but today when I tried getting it to work it keeps giving me this error. I don't know whats up with it, it isn't an ingame error but a windows error obviously. If anyone knows what this is your help will be really appreciated. and yes I did do exactly what it said and keep in mind it USED to work for me but suddenly it stopped.
Heres screencaps of the exact errors I got:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1857/errorbj.png
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/5516/error2t.png
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/313/error3u.png

Well, it says that Fraps in order to work properly needs directx 9c. If you had it installed it stopped working, reinstalling will surely help. Did you try running the game without Fraps? In other words is it the game that crashes or is it Fraps that causes the game to crash?

I guess all will be working again once the directx 9c problem is solved.

Well I tried running it without Fraps, and it still wouldn't work. Same exact error as in the last 2 screencaps. I think it's a direct X error but not sure how to fix it. Not sure what it is but when I revert the memory change it works yet again. Everything that uses the video card does not work except windows. Could it have to be that I am using the media center edition of windows XP?

Well, seems like you disable directx and windows is back to its software graphics. I don't know about the changes you made but it still seems to be the key to me that you have to get your direct x running before starting the game.

To check if directx is running or not you can do: Start -> Run -> dxdiag.exe
If it works it should display the directx window. (to be found in windows -> system32)

I don't know if your problems is due to the media center version of XP.

The good thing is that if you set your system back to normal and everything works fine again it doesn't seem that a new install is needed.

Good luck on that one!

Serious +Rep for getting this up here.. Worked like a treat.

May I ask exactly how it works tho? I know about VM but the fixing process alludes me. Does this mean from now on that any game i am running with use much more RAM?

either way!

THANK YOU

basically? it works whenever a process uses more than 2gbs of memory space but not every application is written this way... or they are just better optimized so they won't need that much.
lately i've even seen the 3gb switch being recommended by the dev team on autodesk forums (AutoCAD, 3ds MAX etc.) so...

So far i have had 20 min of game play without problems, few battles and what not the usual crash has yet to happen, but that is while im in Direct X 7, and virtually the lowest possible graphics settings, i cannot play anymore for today and was curious if this solution will allow you to play with max graphics without more errors "Considering you have a PC capable of running M&B on max as i do."

i've never tried playing at max settings but some people did and according to them it is possible. at least turning back to dx9

RGL ERROR
get_object failed for mesh:skybox_clear_01 , can explain to me in detail how to fix it ? my english is very bad :sad: ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom