Fire by rank/Volley fire causing bigger morale loss?

Users who are viewing this thread

DrSlugger

Recruit
I love the ability to fire in volleys, but does it cause morale lost? Or is just cosmetic?

If it doesn't, is there a mod released yet for it?

Firing in volleys? Explain what you mean, I don't think I understand what you are talking about.

TheGrim said:
Firing in volleys? Explain what you mean, I don't think I understand what you are talking about.
"1.the simultaneous discharge of a number of missiles or firearms. "

he means when you order your men to hold a lined formation, command them to fire on your command, and once they get to the sweet spot, order your men to fire. Meaning your men fire in controlled volleys, like a wall of musket shot's instead of random fire at will shiz.

Far as i've seen it does have a larger impact on moral, but that may be due to the fact ya occasionally whack out a good amount of their front lines in a single quick burst rather than any actual statistic value added to that. But it's still a cool and effcient, i've held off 120 cossacks by holding the gate in a village with me and 20 men in 3 rank line, thing of beauty :razz:

I don't see how you'd lose morale from firing in volleys. Anyways, sometimes I use volley fire, but that's only when I'm up against a large force. It's a much more effecient way of firing, and you can use it to demolish charging enemy cavalry.

TheGrim said:
I don't see how you'd lose morale from firing in volleys. Anyways, sometimes I use volley fire, but that's only when I'm up against a large force. It's a much more effecient way of firing, and you can use it to demolish charging enemy cavalry.
6+ men will die instantly from 1 volley, after the smoke clears, they know another is coming.

Firing by rank keeps them under constant pressure.

I think you misunderstood it, your men don't lose morale, the enemy does.

DrSlugger said:
TheGrim said:
6+ men will die instantly from 1 volley, after the smoke clears, they know another is coming.

Ah, I understand what you are saying. However, I don't think that killing a number of enemies at the same time decreases their morale any more than killing them one at a time. Of course, it does seem a LOT cooler when your marksmen kill six or eight men at the same time, rather than one at a time.

TheGrim said:
DrSlugger said:
TheGrim said:

Ah, I understand what you are saying. However, I don't think that killing a number of enemies at the same time decreases their morale any more than killing them one at a time. Of course, it does seem a LOT cooler when your marksmen kill six or eight men at the same time, rather than one at a time.

killing them before they can fight back does do more moral damage

TheGrim said:
Well think of it this way, you're charging the enemy, and suddenly 10 guys fall down dead. Seeing so many die that quick is bound to cause morale loss.

DrSlugger said:
TheGrim said:
Well think of it this way, you're charging the enemy, and suddenly 10 guys fall down dead. Seeing so many die that quick is bound to cause morale loss.

Are you talking irl or ing? In real life volley fire was used to prevent the smoke from blocking eachothers sight, there is however no saying about it being more of a morale destroyer then rapid fireing since it wasn't used.

Recruitademt said:
DrSlugger said:
TheGrim said:

Are you talking irl or ing? In real life volley fire was used to prevent the smoke from blocking eachothers sight, there is however no saying about it being more of a morale destroyer then rapid fireing since it wasn't used.
It may have been used that way, but another of its uses was to break morale. And since guns were not magazine loaded until the late 19th century, volley fire was used to keep continuous fire by firing by rank.

Your are also able to do Platoon Firing in this game. It's kind of tedious, but you tell the left middle and right to fire consecutively.

i hate to sound like a noob but i havent had a chance to figure out how to do most of these battlefield commands, anyone able to suggest what hotkeys would set up volley fire and the platoon style?

It does make the enemy lose morale, I usually hang around with 50 + musketeers, then when the enemy, let's say, 80, charge me, when they're nearly touching my line, I make them fire, after that they run, always.

Recruitademt said:
No it wasn't, volley fire actually results in more smoke than you'd usually get ordering independent fire. Volleys were used to prevent the troops (particularly the less experienced) expending smoke and ammunition while the enemy was still outside of effective range. The psychological affect on an approaching regiment also tends to be much greater when your entire frontage opens up with a simultaneous volley than having troops firing independently; sources often described it as akin to walking into a solid wall.

In terms of the game, AFAIK the only thing morale checks is the relative numbers of troops, so volleys wouldn't cause any additional morale effects beyond those of the kills/injuries on the enemy.

Archonsod said:
Recruitademt said:
No it wasn't, volley fire actually results in more smoke than you'd usually get ordering independent fire. Volleys were used to prevent the troops (particularly the less experienced) expending smoke and ammunition while the enemy was still outside of effective range. The psychological affect on an approaching regiment also tends to be much greater when your entire frontage opens up with a simultaneous volley than having troops firing independently; sources often described it as akin to walking into a solid wall.

In terms of the game, AFAIK the only thing morale checks is the relative numbers of troops, so volleys wouldn't cause any additional morale effects beyond those of the kills/injuries on the enemy.

Emh no, volley fireing was used when big smoke clouds caused your blindness and your aiming, it was much easier to fight in windy weathers since the smoke disapeard faster then. This is something you can figure out yourself really.

If 50 men are fighting in a line and one of them put a shot up to the enemies the smoke from the gun will block about 2-4 of the other guys sights, that's why repeatedly fire couldn't be used. This is atleast how the Swedish fought, I don't know if the other ones had magic muskets which didn't puff out smoke when fired, if so I'm sorry for being wrong.

Recruitademt said:
Emh no, volley fireing was used when big smoke clouds caused your blindness and your aiming, it was much easier to fight in windy weathers since the smoke disapeard faster then. This is something you can figure out yourself really.

If 50 men are fighting in a line and one of them put a shot up to the enemies the smoke from the gun will block about 2-4 of the other guys sights, that's why repeatedly fire couldn't be used. This is atleast how the Swedish fought, I don't know if the other ones had magic muskets which didn't puff out smoke when fired, if so I'm sorry for being wrong.
It didn't matter how you shoot, you'll always get smoke. In a Napoleonic fire-fight (in which time the muskets made a bit less smoke (I thought) than earlier), soldiers could see nothing anymore after a few volleys due to the smoke ; some of them said they only knew the enemy was still there because the Sergeants were constantly pushing replacements forward when soldiers fell.

Firing in volleys was invented because it had much more effect than a single shot, as muskets and arquebuses were notoriously unaccurate, and a volley would hit the enemy harder than single shots.

Back
Top Bottom