"Fire at will"

Users who are viewing this thread

Not sure where to post this suggestion as it applies to both SP and MP... feel free to move this thread.

The phrase "fire at will" only started being used with the widespread use of firearms. It literally means to use a firearm.

Can we please have this phrase replaced with something else? Both the audio of the character's voice when the player selects the "fire at will" option and the text UI of the "fire at will" option itself should be replaced with something else that actually makes sense in the context of the game setting.

What is this "something else then"? Make a suggestion.

Agree with the OP.

It's not a huge thing, but something that should've been considered prior to recording the voice-overs.

It does annoy me to hear it in a non-firearm settings as well. Plenty of other phrases that can be used instead (can provide a comprehensive list for one-time easy payment of $4.99 - it shouldn't be our job to make the game a polished and internally consistent experience).

I don't recall hearing any voiceline that specifically says 'Fire at Will', all I usually hear is 'loose quivers' or something like that. Fire at will is only on the interface, and is definitely a convenience thing.

I don't recall hearing any voiceline that specifically says 'Fire at Will'
You weren't paying attention, then. Or maybe weren't doing too much with your ranged units/skirmishers.

I think I haven't used only one voiceset by now (the "deep female voice" one), and believe all of the other ones use "fire at will!" verbatim as a possibile VO to the command.

All of them have several different lines that play when you use the command, with enough variation that a specific one won't play all that frequently.

It's all wrong if your name happens to be Will.

"Fire at will" was coined because the long reload times of early firearms left a long gap between the time that the faster reloaders were ready to fire again and the time that the slower men were done reloading. That meant that more fire going downrange was possible by allowing each man to fire at his own pace. On the other hand, controlled volleys were preferred in other situations, by withholding fire until the charging enemy was getting uncomfortably close, in order to get the most hits with inherently accurate firearms. Wait too long, and the survivors of the volley would be upon your men before they could switch to melee weapons. Fire too soon and most of your shots miss (as in 95% or more).

The phrase "Ready, AIM, Fire" was not yet in use, because aim was relatively pointless with a weapon that typically scattered its rounds by more than a yard from the aim point at 100 paces, and a man with equipment could cross that distance in 10-15 seconds, far too quickly to reload and fire again.

The phrase "Ready, AIM, Fire" was not yet in use
They used "ready, LEVEL, fire." At least the Brits did, according to extant manuals.

And the very term "fire" literally came from application of a smoldering ignition cord to the blackpowder primer on top of the smoothbore's barrel end.

So... yeah. Hardly something to do with earlier periods at all.

No, not the dreaded ahistorical fire arrows!
Actually, we have evidence of fire arrows in ancient china since 900 AD and flaming arrows in ancient judea and assyria since 700 BC. Burning missiles such as lit torches, fire arrows and bolts have been used from antiquity to the medieval period. These are from the 1400s :
Brandpfeile_Germanisches_Nationalmuseum_W788_%2B_W2056.jpg

Usually, what is wrong with flaming arrows is how they are depicted in popular culture.

Last edited:
And the very term "fire" literally came from application of a smoldering ignition cord to the blackpowder primer on top of the smoothbore's barrel end.
"Fire" applied to cannons until well into the 1800s, as well as early black powder guns, until flints, and later explosive primers, were implemented, making it no longer necessary to apply "fire" to the powder. Since then, "fire" has become a synonym for "shoot". It does not fit into the timeframe of M&B, but this isn't a historical simulation, it's a "low fantasy" game with a strong basis in historical medieval times.

It does not fit into the timeframe of M&B, but this isn't a historical simulation, it's a "low fantasy" game with a strong basis in historical medieval times.
So why use a blatantly ahistorical phrasing when there are plenty better fitting (and non-immersion-breaking) choices?

Definitely. "shoot at will" doesn't sound as nice as "fire at will". I prefer "fire at will" over any of the alternatives suggested in this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom