"Fire at will"

Users who are viewing this thread

Definitely. "shoot at will" doesn't sound as nice as "fire at will". I prefer what's currently being said in the game to any of the alternatives suggested in this thread.
The things is, sometimes they DO already say "shoot at will." Pay more attention to the dialogue when you give orders. Although the command prompts after pressing any of the F keys is constant, there is a pool of potential dialogue for every command that the character chooses from, and the only variable is the action.

So currently, if you have a group of infantry with javelins and press F4 to activate "fire at will," there is a chance your character says, "Loose arrows." Also, if you press F4 again to give the command "hold fire," there is a chance your character says "hold arrows." I may be incorrect in the precise language for the hold fire dialogue, but there is definitely the chance your character tells javelin-armed infantry to do something with arrows and/or quivers.

Imo, this is much more annoying than "fire at will" and "hold fire," and I would actually prioritize that change over removing "fire." Either they should make character dialogue for commands apply to any troop type (so no mention of arrows or quivers because jav-armed inf don't have em) or have/keep more precise troop/weapon-specific dialogue and include a check for troop/weapon type when initiating the command action.

Your immersion ain't my immersion. My immersion currently requires "fire at will".
Nice strawman you made there, mate. Shame if something flamable happened to it...

As it is easy to understand and already implemented, I do not see it going away anytime soon.
Neither do I. Doesn't mean it's not yet another element of Bannerlord's development that was done half-assed, considering the game's intentional and advertised "historicy" appeal.
So currently, if you have a group of infantry with javelins and press F4 to activate "fire at will," there is a chance your character says, "Loose arrows." Also, if you press F4 again to give the command "hold fire," there is a chance your character says "hold arrows." I may be incorrect in the precise language for the hold fire dialogue, but there is definitely the chance your character tells javelin-armed infantry to do something with arrows and/or quivers.
Can confirm, got irked by that, too.
Imo, this is much more annoying than "fire at will" and "hold fire," and I would actually prioritize that change over removing "fire." Either they should make character dialogue for commands apply to any troop type (so no mention of arrows or quivers because jav-armed inf don't have em) or have/keep more precise troop/weapon-specific dialogue and include a check for troop/weapon type when initiating the command action.
Shouldn't require that much effort to record either non-explicit commands ("Use ranged weapons!", "Release!", "Melee only!", etc.), or - gasp - put in some more effort and add an if-else clauses to play appropriate voiceover depending on whether it's skirmishers or actual archers/crossbowmen. Although, in all fairness, the latter would still be borked if you had a mixed group of javelin-throwers and archers. So you'd still need lines that can be used for both ranged weapon metatypes.

"Weapon-neutral" lines would be easiest way to address it - and should've been something considered before TW went ahead with VO recording, but that's just yet another example of how hilariously lacking their planning is.

Last edited:
I see it as nit-picking. Yes, it's wrong, but it's not serious enough to warrant pulling someone off of some more important task to fix the issue, particularly since it would probably involve bringing back voice actors and doing a whole lot of setup. If they're going through all of that anyway for some other reason, then it might be a nice idea to record a couple more ranged weapon commands during the session, but I'm not going to base my overall opinion of the game on this detail.

Back
Top Bottom