Festung Europa - Upcoming WW2 Shooter

Users who are viewing this thread

romandude

Grandmaster Knight
Festung Europa is an upcoming first-person shooter game set during the Normandy campaign, focusing on the heroic deeds of the Canadian and British units that served in the campaign. It'll be a nice break from your usual Omaha Beach themed game.

fe-zeltbahn-01.jpg

soldierfieldjaj2y.png

fe_mg42_5.jpg

fe_model24.jpg

d-daytakingjunobeach.jpg

And here i thought this was a border patrol game. Frontex and Africa being playable factions. Dat Disappointment.

It's a bad sign that two promotional screenshots have identical faces even though showing a Canadian and a German soldier. Not that faces are that important in an FPS.

Also, thanks for all the detailed information! I now have a really good picture of what the game is trying to achieve!

Man, the Normandy campaign, like WWII only happened there. I've seen brits campaign in Normandy already in several AAA games - Canadians were included in COD 3. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for a Monte Cassino/Anzio focused game.  :razz:

Anyway, stupid things aside, the game looks good nevertheless. Being an Indie game I bet it's going to have all the historical accuracy, and that's a very good thing. Graphics looks good, too. Loving the zeltbahn and the tired expression of that German.

@ Jhessail: last and only time I saw a decent variety of faces in a WWII FPS was back in 2002 with Medal of Honor: Frontline. Sadly.

F.F.C._fritz said:
Man, the Normandy campaign, like WWII only happened there. I've seen brits campaign in Normandy already in several AAA games - Canadians were included in COD 3. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for a Monte Cassino/Anzio focused game.  :razz:
There are Italians and a Malta/crete (not sure which one) map in Mare Nostrum :razz:

Yeah, but I've hardly seen anything beyond Sicily. Except for MOH Breakthrough, which was a (sadly) pretty lazily and rushed made game or Airborne, which wasn't really focused on historical accuracy.

@ Joe: You're right on Mare Nostrum. In the original project, there should have been a lot of maps set in the peninsular campaign but sadly it didn't happen. Also, RTS "Codename: Panzers, phase II" had the italian campaign pretty well covered. Still, an FPS project such as "Call of Duty: Devil's Brigade" (http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/2/3445244/call-of-duty-devils-brigade-revealed ) still hasn't happened.

Anyway, I know I sound like a prick to complain about something not necessarily much important such as the setting of an indie game, considering all the efforts it must be taking (and the good work I've seen done); the thing is that WWII is regarded as an overall "done to death" scenario for FPSs, while actually the fact is that many campaigns and interesting events simply hasn't been explored or represented. Still, the fact that Festung Europa is focused on Brits and Canadian campaign makes things a lot more interesting :smile:

I'd love to see a Battle of France game*, that'd be grand, but I'm really happy about Festung Europa - I'm sick and tired of seeing hardly anything other than American based games so this will be a nice breath of fresh air.

*Yes, I know about WW2Online: Battleground Europe - however as much as I enjoyed playing it, the massive ping problems thanks to the server being many thousands of miles away in Texas did not lead to a smooth, comfortable gaming experience. Still got several years of great fun out of it but it's not badly dated mechanically.
**No idea about CoD 3, never played it.

CoD3 is a CoD people like to forget with good reason. Sadly it was the last one to include vehicles as well :/ RIP Base Assault.

Captured Joe said:
Sir Prince said:
I really hope they pull this off, it would be awesome to have a proper Canadian & British WW2 game :grin:
Darkest Hour mod for Red Orchestra: Ostfront.
I found the Canadian and British maps to feel rather unfinished, rough, or otherwise lacking polish. Also they hardly seemed to get played.

Back
Top Bottom