SP - General Feasts, Festivals, Fashion! And A Calendar Extension to go along with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Feasts are a controversial part of warband; many infamous jokes point to Swadia's constant feasting as a contributing factor to their difficulties in aquiring and holding territory as it took lords and particularly generals attention away from leading campaigns.

However I think their absence leaves a great void and that is in the need to at least "pretend" or play along with going to events or tournaments, and increase ones standing with lords and ladies through displays of wealth and festivities.

Moreover, at least in viking conquest (Forgive me, I cannot remember if it was in native warband) you suffer a relationship loss or penalty from ignoring invitations and not attending a lords feast.

WHAT SHOULD BE DONE FIRST:

Diplomacy:​

These additions and changes would of course require some groundwork to implement; first and foremost being adding diplomacy changes like the mod 'Diplomacy'.. that is war weariness, and other factors that encourage periods of peace long enough that there might be some room for the player to go about to festivals and feasts and the like rather than fighting armies.

Calendar Changes:​

Secondly, and to a degree this is a lesser need; would be changing the calendar system to a 12 month warband calendar. Now this need not be strictly speaking "30-day-months", but having calendars that are capable of having 3-sections per season, with any number of days within those subsections.

"Twelve Months?.. But it already takes to long for my kids to age into adulthood"​

The Solution to this is to add a x6 or x10 "Fast-Forward" mode in addition to the presently existing fast-foward modes; understand that this might not be entirely feasible and might present additional issues however.​

THE ACTUAL IDEAS:

Feasts:​

I'm not sure I really need to go into feasts so much, but they should resemble at least in some respect, those feasts in warband and it's derivatives. Basically you get relationship bonuses from doing the meet-and-greet and gladhanding with nobles,​

Festivals:​

There should not only be Feasts at fancy castles you should be encouraged to attend, local festivals in your towns or villages should also be something the player-character might see fit to attend, especially as a new nobleman attempting to court his subjects. This could offset some of the "from a different culture" negative modifiers, and help the player to integrate into their new holdings through popular support of the local population;​

Fashion:​

If you show up to a fancy ball wearing dirty rags, this should not endear you to your host or the other guest. While there might be some room for tolerating such a careless act there should in general be some manner of discouraging such indifference towards these events and instead you should be encouraged to actually spend the vast quantities of cash you're making.​

How Would This Be Done?:​

this could be done through having an additional set of stats on every item of clothing: simply two to maybe at most four values that indicate things like "How Formal is this?" or "Is this too flashy", additionally there might be things that are seen as either "foreign" or "outdated". this would all be tied to a score that npc's would read that in turn would effect how they might react/percieve the player (or his companions).​

LONGSHOT 'Strech' Suggestion:

Additional Minigames:​

Part of feasts and festivities was drinking, dancing, etc. So call it crazy but I think that there should be room for some kind of "rhythm" minigame of dancing, (culturally unique to the different cultures of course)..​
Maypoles and other popular Ren-Faire gimmicks would be encouraged, archery competitions.​
Drinking would be nice, especially if it meant that the player would have to slow down going through dialogue trees with NPC's as their speech would either get impaired or they'd risk blurting out something that would offend the person they were talking to, would also perhaps add an additional layer of challenge to dances.​
All of this is of course, not something I see realistically happening​

Conclusion:​

Please be criitical of this suggestion; I'm curious as to what other people think of it, it's been bubbling in my head for some time that some of these things might be nice to see, especially in the later game.

I agree that diplomacy should be the priority.

I honestly don't want any calendar changes, except maybe cutting down a year to 40 days, but even that I'm not fully comfortable with. I for sure don't want longer years even with a faster speed-up option. I would much rather have the day/night cycle be 2 or 3 times faster/shorten the length of days by 50% or 66%.

I'm mostly neutral to feasts but wouldn't mind seeing them added. They don't really have much extrinsic value in my opinion but they are more for flavour and role-playing anyways, so I wouldn't mind them.

As for festivals, I would really like having holidays, some of which are celebrated by specific cultures, such as something like Samhain for Battanians and some that are celebrated in Calradia by all cultures but with culture-specific customs & traditions such as spring celebrations for all factions, but potentially on different days and different celebrations; something like Hidirellez for the Khuzaits and Floralia for the Empire factions' spring celebrations, etc. But adding different celebration visuals to towns would probably be too much work, so I would be okay if we had the same celebrations in towns visually (lots of people on the streets, drinking and dancing) but civilians from different cultures would have different dialogues explaining the celebration and how they traditionally celebrate it.

While I like the suggestion about broadly, I think it would be too much of a hassle for the devs to implement and annoying for the players to use, as many players don't even know about civilian clothing. If it was implemented, I would rather it be something binary with 2 criteria; does it look suitable Yes/No, is it culturally acceptable to wear Yes/No (for example wearing togas or any Imperial-specific outfit outside the Empire culture towns is a No).

Minigames get a definitive NO from me. Even if they were something as simple as jousting tournaments (1v1 mounted duels with a couching lance and a shield), stuff like this get old really really fast. For context, I've been playing Pendor again, and Sarleon tournaments are just not fun anymore.

While I like the suggestion about broadly, I think it would be too much of a hassle for the devs to implement and annoying for the players to use, as many players don't even know about civilian clothing. If it was implemented, I would rather it be something binary with 2 criteria; does it look suitable Yes/No, is it culturally acceptable to wear Yes/No (for example wearing togas or any Imperial-specific outfit outside the Empire culture towns is a No).
Fair enough; mostly my thoughts are how to get the "mid-late" game more interesting and draw the player into the world more. But given the track record I'm not sure that TW is capable of doing it quite right;
Minigames get a definitive NO from me. Even if they were something as simple as jousting tournaments (1v1 mounted duels with a couching lance and a shield), stuff like this get old really really fast. For context, I've been playing Pendor again, and Sarleon tournaments are just not fun anymore.
I think it might make feasts more interesting if you had stuff to do other than just hit people with arena weapons in a tournament and then talk to them afterwards... but you're probably right that they'd quickly get old very, very fast, especially without longer calendars that would allow them to be more spaced out. Thought about adding Fox Tossing, but that would make people mad for other reasons 😆

until now I don't know how to marry, noble keep teleporting everywhere and when I reach to him, his daughter is in an army going around just to recruit

Back
Top Bottom