Face enemy direction

Users who are viewing this thread

No idea why this was changed, I play on PC & so expect all my keys to have a function. Whoever had the final say, either wants to play on a joy pad or they dont play the game at all? This is very lazy TW...

Its literally taken the command feature 5 steps backwards... Im now having to press F3 prior to using any command other than "formation and move". This wouldn't be so bad if they kept the original key alignment following F3. ie F4 hold fire, F5 dismount etc. They couldnt becauase the idea was to remove keys...? Why else was this change implemented if not to reduce the number of buttons required.

Im having to re-learn the commands after several months of muscle memory has developed? It feels like I'm disabled having to check & re-check prior to making any decision... Meanwhile, my troops are being smoked...

No preview flags for troops prior to moving. Added a key to carry out basic commands like hold fire. Combined Look and Face enemy which seems to flip randomly. This is causing rows to cross over one another when they "need" to stay parallel.

Example: My arches are in front of infantry, both facing forward. I wish to face arches 5 deg left, but they are now "facing enemy" and I cant change it back to look. Incoming Calvary on the left flank. My arches have now turned a full 90 degrees to remain facing the Calvary and 50% of them are knees deep, fighting incoming T5/6 infantry that is now charging me.... Return to main menu / reload battle yeeeeeey.

Im basically loosing 150 men on average each battle when I should be loosing no more than 50.

Surely this is broken.

I posted this on another post but it is entirely relevant here:

I know that its been mentioned that this change was made for console players and that "most probably" this new command system will be optional rather than mandatory, but I just want to stress how important this subject is to PC players, we really really want to return to our old command structure as it simply works better for a keyboard, the change is more than just annoying, it changes the way we are able to play the game and not in a positive way. Please, please Taleworlds team give us the option to return to our old command structure it is crucial.

There are some aspects of the game such as controls that are not necessary to be identical across platforms, and the attempt to make them consistent reduces the overall quality of the system. We have more buttons on a keyboard than exist on a controller so naturally we will have access to more complex control capabilities, simplifying this system for keyboard users in favor of controller users is detrimental to the game on so many levels. Imagine for example you made a Bannerlord port for the Nintendo Gameboy that has two buttons, and you then decided to re-design the entire command structure of the game to revolve around fitting and working for the Nintendo Gameboy but you made that new system mandatory for PC and Console players as well, I'm sure you can see how this is a limiting and unreasonable thing to force players who are using different platforms to conform to. This is exactly what has happened with the most recent changes to the command menu.

Bringing the old system back and making the new system optional would require minimal coding effort since the design for both already exists and is fully coded and would absolutely be worthwhile to do.

How face direction works now: F3+F1 to face enemy, then F3+F1 again to face direction. In the heat of battle this is absolutely ridiculous and slow, especially when unit responsiveness and positioning is so important in Captain Mode. Us players need to be able to reliably and quickly reposition our units to face the proper direction in order to counter any flanking maneuvers or surprise attacks as soon as they happen and not after the fact.
With our current system it takes way too long to give these orders as first our units must face enemy before we can tell them to face the direction we want.

Hit the nail on the head. We now have to perform multiple key strokes to perform 1 single action. Wheres the logic in that?

We need a legacy toggle to return the commands, I'd say sooner rather than later. We need a hot fix ASAP...

It's a toggle, so instead of having click twice to re-face direction, you now have to do 4 clicks :grin:
Very convenient for the console plebs that TW is catering to, while giving 0 ****s about their existing playerbase.

Its enough to turn me off it to be honest...

Yeah i hate this change, i can't seem for the life of me to properly position my troops now and it was just a simple click before..

Feels like the controls have been watrered down also to cater for consoles. Sad but true I feel...

I just wanna believe that those changes were done for us to test and give feedback about their design for console port.
Hopefully, these selections will be OPTIONAL in final release cuz you know we all have keyboards, y not use it?

I really don't get what's on the mind of whom is making these decisions, we had a working system before that not a single soul complained about except to add even more commands (like select weapons) and instead they gutted it and made a chore to command your men..

I really don't get what's on the mind of whom is making these decisions, we had a working system before that not a single soul complained about except to add even more commands (like select weapons) and instead they gutted it and made a chore to command your men..

They did it for console, I just can't understand why they didn't do it as a completely new option instead of breaking something that was pretty functional and then leaving us with this new UI that nobody liked.

To make it less complicated, TW in its supreme wisdom has decided the only command you'll ever need to execute is "CHARGE!"

Remove buttons to make less buttons, but we need to now press more buttons to carry out a basic order... 5 keys to carry out one simple function, 10 keys if you want to direct two unit types... ?

Ive played for a few hours since this patch and it needs a hot fix ASAP!!

On the plus side I’ve never had so many regular visitors join my stream since everyone’s now watching for ****s & giggles as opposed to actually playing... Thanks TW, silver lining and all....

Last edited:
I feel like this thread needs more attention. The new controls are terrible for PC players that use a keyboard.
You have essentially went from f1-f7 down to f1-f3.
So to do simple commands that are important especially during the middle of large battles of 1500 v 1500 troops this has actually made you have to press MORE buttons to achieve the same results.

To be able to change a direction a unit is facing now takes too many buttons, which as Gazren has said can result in many losses of troops on harder difficulties. (Especially when enemies respawn and start to come at you from another direction and you need to QUICKLY wheel and face).
Now you have to keep toggling on and off trying to get the units to turn.

There are many other issues with it, but for me the main issue is to get the order you want to your units you now need to press more buttons.
Time is important on the battlefield.

I also feel like this change has been done for the only reason to condense commands into 3 categories instead of 7 FOR CONSOLE / GAMEPAD player benefit only.
If you wish to do that then fine, but give the PC players a different control scheme. We should have more options not less.

God forbid you want to play the game and actually CONTROL your troops. Not just press charge.

Hopefully someone can explain this better than I did. But you can hopefully feel my frustration haha.

I wanted to start new for this patch but the new controls have put me right off tbh. Do not wish to start getting muscle memory on these when hopefully they will be changed back or to something better.

Back
Top Bottom