Resolved Extreme performance issues and FPS drops after 1 minute of playing

Users who are viewing this thread

YoiuaWuli

Recruit
The first 2 days of having this game was fine as far as I remember (fps wise), but since 2 days ago the game stutters immensely to the point where I can barely do anything in battles. I feel like the spikes start after the first battle I do when I start up the game, and are still continuing on the world map (but less severe). I feel like the stutters start whenever the game is calculating something (i.e. AI interacting, moving, basically doing any action or calculating enemy position, literally any movement or 'thought').

I tried to change everything, graphic settings, battle size, sound channel, resolution, V-sync, FPS capped at 30, checked if my CPU's were being used, made sure that the game ran with my GPU (both ingame settings etc. I spend the last 2 days finding solutions that could make it at least playable, but it didn't work.

I feel like the game is clogging up my RAM or memory or whatever (I'm not a computer expert, not even close so idk how to call everything), since it gets slower and slower, even slowing my laptop for a minute after I closed the game. Once the game is closed and started up again though, the game works fine again for 1-2 minutes.

After today's update (1.0.6), I can do hideout invasions again (so max 30 soldiers or something) and that went fine, but a 30 vs 70 battle clogged everything up again.

My specs:
Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs)
8 Gig RAM
Intel HD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

So I don't know whether I got a question that can be answered now, or that this helps in any way to fix this game, but I really want to be able to play this game since I loved Warband.

TLDR: There is a memory leak that they are aware of and working to resolve.

There is an issue with with files loaded into RAM (Textures, sounds, models, etc.) staying there beyond the point that they need to. It leads to all the system RAM getting used up over time. What should happen is when those files are not actively being used any more (for example the textures, sounds and models for all the units in a battle you just finished as well as the battlefield itself) should be removed or overwritten when they are no longer being actively used and something else needs that RAM. However they seem to stay there forever. This leads to your HDD being used as RAM which is many times slower and causes your computer to grind to a halt. When the game is closed this all gets purged. I have 16 GB of RAM and have watched the game steadily use up more and more till it hits 12-13 GB of RAM usage.They are aware of it and working to resolve it.

TLDR: There is a memory leak that they are aware of and working to resolve.

There is an issue with with files loaded into RAM (Textures, sounds, models, etc.) staying there beyond the point that they need to. It leads to all the system RAM getting used up over time. What should happen is when those files are not actively being used any more (for example the textures, sounds and models for all the units in a battle you just finished as well as the battlefield itself) should be removed or overwritten when they are no longer being actively used and something else needs that RAM. However they seem to stay there forever. This leads to your HDD being used as RAM which is many times slower and causes your computer to grind to a halt. When the game is closed this all gets purged. I have 16 GB of RAM and have watched the game steadily use up more and more till it hits 12-13 GB of RAM usage.They are aware of it and working to resolve it.
Thanks for the detailed reply! Already thought it had something to do with this, and actually I'm just glad that it is something the developers need to fix instead of me lol.
Last question: Why is this happening to only a certain amount of players? I've watched streamers play the game for more that an hour and they didn't experience any performance issues. I've heard from a friend that it had something to do with NVIDIA vs AMD. Do you also know this?

Thanks for the detailed reply! Already thought it had something to do with this, and actually I'm just glad that it is something the developers need to fix instead of me lol.
Last question: Why is this happening to only a certain amount of players? I've watched streamers play the game for more that an hour and they didn't experience any performance issues. I've heard from a friend that it had something to do with NVIDIA vs AMD. Do you also know this?
streamers most of them have good pc like 32 gb so it wont be a problem for them to play a game with bad optimisation

I just wish they would start fixing this stuff instead of quests, bad AI, or anything play-wise, since a lot of people can't even play the game now :sad:

I have your exact same specs and I was formerly only getting 5fps at all times, no matter what I changed, and now it's gone up to 10fps all the time, no matter what I change. Weird seeing someone with the same specs able to play it just fine at all before. I haven't been able to at all since early access started

I can't even leave the training area after i created my character, the game just stutteres and i get severe frame drops, my whole pc froze because of the ram spike, i have 8gb ram, gtx 970 windforce 4g, i5 processor, i can run other new games on high and get smoth 60fps so it has to be a game issue, and these latest patches haven't done anything for me atleast. im so excited to play this game but i cant even get out of the tutorial zone :sad:

I can't even leave the training area after i created my character, the game just stutteres and i get severe frame drops, my whole pc froze because of the ram spike, i have 8gb ram, gtx 970 windforce 4g, i5 processor, i can run other new games on high and get smoth 60fps so it has to be a game issue, and these latest patches haven't done anything for me atleast. im so excited to play this game but i cant even get out of the tutorial zone :sad:
I get that completely. The game is just unplayable for me too, and I would so much like the devs to fix performance issues and memory leaks before stuff with weird AI or quests not working propertly. You can work around that stuff, but having 1 FPS and stutters is just the worst. I looked on their Steam page, but I can't see our problem in their 'known issues: Performance', so I'm not sure if they really know about it like AgentX2006 says.

I get that completely. The game is just unplayable for me too, and I would so much like the devs to fix performance issues and memory leaks before stuff with weird AI or quests not working propertly. You can work around that stuff, but having 1 FPS and stutters is just the worst. I looked on their Steam page, but I can't see our problem in their 'known issues: Performance', so I'm not sure if they really know about it like AgentX2006 says.
Yeah im not sure they are aware of our issue and it's worrying, my friend has 16gb ram and he can play the game but its still uses like 14gb out of his 16gb ram and thats ridicilous tbh, if they are aware of it i dont understand why the prioritize fixing some bugged quests when for alot of people they cant even play the game at all, lets hope for the best

Last edited:
Yeah im not sure they are aware of our issue and it's worrying, my friend has 16gb ram and he can play the game but its stulle uses like 14gb out of his 16gb ram and thats ridicilous tbh, if they are aware of it i dont understand why the prioritize fixing some bugged quests when for alot of people they cant even play the game at all, lets hope for the best
They're trying to fix these problems soon!

I have talked with developers, they say that they are gonna send the performance patches as soon as possible!
Thanks for the fast reply! I hope they fix it soon. Ah well, I've waited 8 years, hasn't even been a week since release so I can wait some more, especially in this quarantine lol

Yeah im not sure they are aware of our issue and it's worrying, my friend has 16gb ram and he can play the game but its still uses like 14gb out of his 16gb ram and thats ridicilous tbh, if they are aware of it i dont understand why the prioritize fixing some bugged quests when for alot of people they cant even play the game at all, lets hope for the best
It's because gameplay developers are in abundance pretty much everywhere, but engine developers are scarce and they probably have just a few of them in the company.

Hey! I'm going to mark this thread as resolved. If the problem persists, please let me know. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom