Excesive slow training make game boring. Please training perks should be buffed.

Users who are viewing this thread

El-Tapicero

Recruit
Quickly pints.

-Training in Warband was too OP. Top tier units were too easy to reach. I am not asking this for Bannerlord.
-Training in Bannerlord is practically useless. Even games like Viking conquest (warband) that had a worse training than Warband (vanilla), even Viking Conquest had got better training that Bannerlord.
-Beating looters shouldnt be the only way to train troops.

An excesive slow training make the game boring and tedious
  1. Tier 1 troops: this tier are not even militia. They are not soldiers, they are normal peasants. The function of this level should be to "lengthen recruitment". You've hired men but they're not soldiers yet
  2. Tier 2 troops: this tier is already consider like soldiers. They are militia and levies, poor quality but at least troops. This level should be very easy to reach.
  3. Tier 3 troops: represents medium quality troops
  4. Tier 4 and + troops: this troops are already consider hight quality or even élite troops
The problem of the game is that training is too slow. Even with several training perks is very slow to improve to Tier 2 troops. The armies should be more easy to improve at least to Tier 2 without difficulty or too time. And in general the game should allow players and NPCs to reach Tier 2 and 3 with training easily or even Tier 4 (this one with more time)

In this game it is currently very difficult to get something as simple as Tier 2 troops without hunting looters and this makes the game boring and tedious when it comes to replacing armies.

Last edited:
Quickly pints.

-Training in Warband was too OP. Top tier units were too easy to reach. I am not asking this for Bannerlord.
-Training in Bannerlord is practically useless. Even games like Viking conquest (warband) that had a worse training than Warband (vanilla), even Viking Conquest had got better training that Bannerlord.
Iirc training in VC was painfully slow. it made losing top tier troops very painful.
-Beating looters shouldnt be the only way to train troops.
I'm pretty sure that's how Taleworlds wants you to level troops, at least early to mid game.
Here is my point.
  1. Tier 1 troops: this tier are not even militia. They are not soldiers, they are normal peasants. The function of this level should be to "lengthen recruitment". You've hired men but they're not soldiers yet
  2. Tier 2 troops: this tier is already consider like soldiers. They are militia and levies, poor quality but at least troops. This level should be very easy to reach.
  3. Tier 3 troops: represents medium quality troops
  4. Tier 4 and + troops: this troops are already consider hight quality or even élite troops
The problem of the game is that training is too slow. Even with several training perks is very slow to improve to Tier 2 troops. The armies should be more easy to improve at least to Tier 2 without difficulty or too time. And in general the game should allow players and NPCs to reach Tier 2 and 3 with training easily or even Tier 4 (this one with more time)
I haven't played in awhile but I don't remember getting troops to T2 being that hard. How long or how many battles do you think it should take to get from T1 to T2 and T2 to 3 etc?
In this game it is currently very difficult to get something as simple as Tier 2 troops without hunting looters and this makes the game boring and tedious when it comes to replacing armies.
Boring and tedious are the pillars of this game. 😆

Ok but my point still stands. How long do you think it should take a soldier to move up T1 to 2, T2 to 3 and so on?

Tier 1 to Tier 2 should be very quickly. Probably less than 5 days.

Tier 2 to Tier + probably should be more hard. But between 10-20 days a Tier 2 army should be progresively reaching Tier 3.

Tier 1 to Tier 2 should be very quickly. Probably less than 5 days.

Tier 2 to Tier + probably should be more hard. But between 10-20 days a Tier 2 army should be progresively reaching Tier 3.
I'm assuming when you talk about training you're talking about passive learning not xp from fighting. If so then imo npc lords would be the ones who most benefit from this change because they're usually the ones who end up with lower tier armies when fighting the pc and a change like this would boost their army composition. While I'm not opposed to this I do feel like T4+ should be hard to get and T6 troops should take a significant time investment because of their power, just my 2 cents.

I do feel like T4+ should be hard to get and T6 troops should take a significant time investment because of their power, just my 2 cents.
I too. Tier4+ should not bee too common. In warband was too easy to upgrade troops to final tiers throught training and I didnt like this.

But in bannerlord is extremely boring and tedious.

Maybe make the arenas of the cities usable for this purpose for a fee? It could work just like training spots in wrband... I certainly miss those.
And I agree, training is very slow.

I've had some thoughts about this and I think a cool way to help alleviate this issue (not totally fix it, but a way to partly address it while fleshing out another aspect of recruiting) is to break down the recruiting possible in towns. Basically right now it's a single option to get a couple of mercenary troops in the Tavern. That isn't very dynamic or fun anymore.

My idea is to add 3 types of recruiting options. These all will take a minimum amount of time, but will yield different better options than the current system. Also, this new way will allow the outcomes to be tied into different game systems like reputation, clan ranking, kingdom status in a much more immersive and rewarding way.

1. "Round up local peasants who want to join your army". Takes 2-12 hours. Based on things like your reputation in the town and in the connected villages, a certain amount of kingdom specific low tier troops will offer to join you. Perhaps anything from 5-30 troops?
2. "Find any willing professional soldiers in town". Takes 12-24 hours. Based on things like your influence, clan rank, and kingdom status, a certain amount of kingdom specific high tier troops will offer to join you. Perhaps 5-15?
3. "Travel the taverns to find the best mercenaries up for hire." This one will be the one that involves mercenaries. This one can be more static to as it represents the improved version of what is already in the game. So like 8-12 hours, 8-12 mercenaries?

I just feel like that would be a ton more fun and dynamic way to handle things. Not only does this open up reasonable ways to expand your army faster, you get to pick the exact way you want, and things like reputation, influence, kingdom status can all play a part in what you get offered which will make the world feel more alive as well.

Trade loot and upgrade them semi instantly. After every battle keep the high valuables and trade the rest for xp. You should get more than enough loot mid to late game to instantly upgrade masses of T1 troops to T6.

Viking Conquest is way slower, have no idea what you are on about.

The bigger problem is that there isn't much of a passive way to train troops.

I think I can't disagree more with the OP:
- If they make easier to level up troops, everyone will go with elite stacks. If all troops are elite, no one is elite. So the only thing you get this way it's a lower variety of troops in game.
- Balance wise, it would make defeats less punishing, which will make the game even easier than now.

I think I can't disagree more with the OP:
- If they make easier to level up troops, everyone will go with elite stacks. If all troops are elite, no one is elite. So the only thing you get this way it's a lower variety of troops in game.
- Balance wise, it would make defeats less punishing, which will make the game even easier than now.
I dont sure why I write a topic if people like you dont read it.

I specifically said that warband training was too fast and I dont want this for bannerlord. But at least first tiers (Tier 2 and Tier 3) should be easy to reach throught training.

For example in my current game in bannerlord, with 3 training perks, I have already a month since I recluited and I have some recluts Tier1 yet

Viking Conquest is way slower, have no idea what you are on about.

The bigger problem is that there isn't much of a passive way to train troops.

No, in Viking conquest Tier 2 and Tier 3 were easy to reach throught training in mid game. When i played Viking conquest I never had Tier 1 troops when my main character learned training.

I agree, the "training perks" are just pfffff and even with all of them it takes too long to level up t1s. I think it would be better to just remove them altogether, replace them with something more useful and train your soldiers Warband style through training fields/arena. Right now it's a fokin meatgrinder, training recruits through sending them to their deaths, huge slap on the face.

You can easily train troops by "donating" weapons & armor with the steward perks. I think training is even too easy with those perks, but it can amount to quite a bit when you have a ton of soldiers, so it's fair (but probably can be improved). Also, with the leadership level 100 perk that gives +200 exp (iirc) to each newly recruited unit, 1/2 or so of your recruits already come ready to upgrade. I'm not sure if any of these perks were changed in 1.2 beta though.

One thing the game definitely needs imo is for noble units to be harder to recruit. I'm just pulling this number out of my arse, but halving the amount you recruit sounds good to me (so they're definitely spammable if you want to, but not as common as they're now, where 80%ish of recruits from castle villages, thus 33-40%ish of all recruits are noble units).

You can easily train troops by "donating" weapons & armor with the steward perks. I think training is even too easy with those perks, but it can amount to quite a bit when you have a ton of soldiers, so it's fair (but probably can be improved). Also, with the leadership level 100 perk that gives +200 exp (iirc) to each newly recruited unit, 1/2 or so of your recruits already come ready to upgrade. I'm not sure if any of these perks were changed in 1.2 beta though.

One thing the game definitely needs imo is for noble units to be harder to recruit. I'm just pulling this number out of my arse, but halving the amount you recruit sounds good to me (so they're definitely spammable if you want to, but not as common as they're now, where 80%ish of recruits from castle villages, thus 33-40%ish of all recruits are noble units).

That's more of a method to get more experience after battles by sacrificing loot. This is not a training method.

That's more of a method to get more experience after battles by sacrificing loot. This is not a training method.
Which I think is better than straight up passive exp. You can also buy some cheap weapons from towns to donate.

All in all, it's much better for the game to have harder upgrades imo. The player, with the virtue of intelligence and meta knowledge has a much higher troop retention than the AI. Add in the fact that AI leaders only very rarely have any medicine skill and that they lose battles all the time. I think unit upgrading rates should be kept as is.

Which I think is better than straight up passive exp. You can also buy some cheap weapons from towns to donate.

All in all, it's much better for the game to have harder upgrades imo. The player, with the virtue of intelligence and meta knowledge has a much higher troop retention than the AI. Add in the fact that AI leaders only very rarely have any medicine skill and that they lose battles all the time. I think unit upgrading rates should be kept as is.
I already explained my point. Tier 2 (and Tier 3 less) should be easy to reach throught training.

Superior Tiers should already be more difficult to reach and there is where your hability, the battles, etc... should have more importance. Pasive training in bannerlord is too useless even to reach Tier 2.

I agree, it's pretty idiotic that slaughtering half-naked people can morph peasants into elite soldiers, but actual training is more or less useless.

I've solved this with a house mod where leadership (for regular units) and roguery (for bandit units) give a certain amount of xp according to their level and the level of the troops.
It should be up to TaleWorlds to fix this, but they took two years to change without fixing something as simple as the damage calculation (which is literally a 20 mn job) so I don't hold my breath here and I prefer to fix it myself.

Back
Top Bottom