Everyone who was talking to Hrafn_Fothrari

Users who are viewing this thread

This is my original name.  Hrafn works for me!

OOOOOOooooook.  So, here was my Idea for the clan thing I was trying to talk about earlier before I lost connection...

The Viking era was rather...shall we say... expansive.  There were a LOT of different factions to consider.  the Major ones were the Franks, the Norwegians, the Danes, The Swedes, The Celts (two branches, Irish and Scottish.), The Northumbrians, the Britons, the Saxons, the Mercians, the Anglians (Angles, however you want to call them.  Hence the term Anglo-Saxon) along with a host of smaller kingdoms.  I was wondering how active the Role-playing was under the Vikingr group, how ACTIVE the Vikingr group was, and what the plans are for the future.

I'm sure I could spend some time finding the information and I apologies in advance if I annoy some of you, but I am trying to find a new avenue for my Role Playing, (I recently moved to Michigan and left all my Role play friends in Florida) and Norse history/Medieval history is a passion of mine.

Look forward to the discussion,

Hrafn.

As I wrote by now it was probably the server that crashed for everyone for a moment...

With the factions though the rough seperation depends mostly on the fact that no real difference in gear could be implemented between the individual scandinavian factions, and having three scandinavian factions that only differ by their name would not really change anything about the gameplay.

The same applies to most of the british peoples you listed, they all were just bunched together as saxons for the sake of game play, and could even be interpreted as continental saxons with a bit of fantasy. A gaelic faction has been discussed, and as soon as all of the current groups have been polished they are the next to be implemented.

The role playing might be still quite intense as soon the planned campaign starts, which will be basically a series of battles which are planned on a map of britain with a strategic long term context, with Normans, Vikings and of course Saxons during the Norman invasion  :eek:

Richard Faol said:
This is my original name.  Hrafn works for me!

OOOOOOooooook.  So, here was my Idea for the clan thing I was trying to talk about earlier before I lost connection...

The Viking era was rather...shall we say... expansive.  There were a LOT of different factions to consider.  the Major ones were the Franks, the Norwegians, the Danes, The Swedes, The Celts (two branches, Irish and Scottish.), The Northumbrians, the Britons, the Saxons, the Mercians, the Anglians (Angles, however you want to call them.  Hence the term Anglo-Saxon) along with a host of smaller kingdoms.  I was wondering how active the Role-playing was under the Vikingr group, how ACTIVE the Vikingr group was, and what the plans are for the future.

I'm sure I could spend some time finding the information and I apologies in advance if I annoy some of you, but I am trying to find a new avenue for my Role Playing, (I recently moved to Michigan and left all my Role play friends in Florida) and Norse history/Medieval history is a passion of mine.

Look forward to the discussion,

Hrafn.

Just to point out thw welsh were the celts the irish and scottish were picts and Gaels.

Britain_in_AD500_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_16790.jpg

I know this is probably earlier than the mod but it give a general idea. Though it also just lump all the invadign factions as 'english'

Actually, the Welsh are considered to be Breton.  Scotch and Irish were a mix of Pictish and Gaelic.  Bretons were actually a different peoples.

Now, about the Factions: that works.  Vikingr can cover all three, with the Rus being their own faction.  Saxon works for the "English" kingdoms and Gaelic for Irish/Scottish.  Still not sure what to think about the Breton issue though.

That's good.  I look forward to being more involved!

Richard Faol said:
Actually, the Welsh are considered to be Breton.  Scotch and Irish were a mix of Pictish and Gaelic.  Bretons were actually a different peoples.

Well being welsh I am inclined to disagree we were called the Britons (never heard us called bretons) but we were still celts you can even see lands named for the only tribe in wales itself to survive with its lands and culture intact. the Demetae. Also those of the Damonii both are celtic tribes that did not fight the romans.

To my knowledge bretons are the people of brittany who were a culture called the bretons back then. They were one of the brythonic celtic tribes like the britons, but it was aroudn the tiem of the roman invasions that the welsh became a distinct and unique culture.

Now I'm going to have to look back through my texts when I get my hands on them.  I'm not disputing the fact that the Welsh were a Celtic culture, what I WAS saying is that they were not the same as the Scottish and Irish Celts.  When the Gaels arrived in Ireland, the Britons were already there. (And I have heard it both ways, hence why I used Breton above.  That was the way my Welsh family called it.)

Richard Faol said:
Now I'm going to have to look back through my texts when I get my hands on them.  I'm not disputing the fact that the Welsh were a Celtic culture, what I WAS saying is that they were not the same as the Scottish and Irish Celts.  When the Gaels arrived in Ireland, the Britons were already there. (And I have heard it both ways, hence why I used Breton above.  That was the way my Welsh family called it.)

Ah well I will definatly agree on us beign different. I never denighed that the map even shows it. Lets just call it a missunderstanding ^_^

Back
Top Bottom