Eras: a Story of Creation

Users who are viewing this thread

Diputs

Knight
Welcome to Eras, a collaborative writing project based of the thread I previously had the pleasure of running called Worldbuilding.

In Eras, there is no overall goal or way to win save those you set for yourself. You will not be controlling every aspect of a single character, but writing about the history and culture of a race or nation, following them through economic difficulties, wars, colonization, technological advancement, and diplomacy. Players are encouraged to focus on the details and truly come up with a unique world.

Many thanks go to Lord Tim, player of the previous thread who got this one rolling and will be in control of transcribing things to our wiki, found here: http://eras.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page
Send him a PM of thanks and a case of beer and your lore will likely get put on the wiki faster (or not, if he decides to open a bar with all the excess and becomes a millionaire).

Eras is ‘played’ by writing the lore for your nation over the course of fifty years (decreased from the hundred year steps normally taken in the original Worldbuilding). I’ll announce the start of a new section every so often with a post, and will also put up a poll with options to select telling us whether you posted your work. Turns will progress fairly slowly, giving everyone time to write even if you have a busy schedule, and allowing us to pay attention to detail. To make this easier to go through the thread, try not to post sporadic, small updates, and instead focus on getting a good page or two down. In addition, mark posts that have lore, and make it obvious what you’re intending, via a bolded “This is my lore for XYZ years” or something.

In addition, using PMs are encouraged between players when an event that affects the two of them occurs, such as a war or the proposal of an alliance, or if one becomes a vassal of the other. This is to keep the main thread from getting too bogged down with deals and counterdeals, after an agreement has been reached the players they may then have one of them write it up or have both sides write a slightly different version with the same outcome, the truth of the matter likely somewhere in between.

The world we’ll be playing in is low fantasy, magic doesn’t exist but if you can explain away something as alchemy, biological processes, or a form of science not normally used, you can get away with things such as different races, long lifespan, and so on.

The planet itself is assumed to be like Earth, single sun, moon, same size. The map we’ll be using is here:

1Geography-Current.png

1Legend.png

With a blank version to use for Political right here:

1political.png

You can copy the files to your computer, edit them in paint, and then show them here, or just send me a PM and I’ll try to edit the map for you. Major geography is set, so we can avoid the problem we previously had with islands appearing and disappearing like a brother-in-law at Christmas, but if you want something like a forest or river moved, that can be managed.

Now, on to Diputs’ random collection of tips:

Think long term.
Have a cool idea, like a little kingdom that survives in the ruins of an old empire, using buildings they don’t know how to build and drinking wine that’s had a few hundred years to age? Well, rather than starting as that kingdom, try to start as the empire, tell who they were and why they fell, and why they put statues up of a man with a crooked nose. We have a long time before we get to the modern era, so don’t worry about technology making something obsolete.

Think about consequences.
So, you have a nation living in the middle of the forest. They do all sorts of nationy stuff, like have a group of nobles who tell everyone else what to do, make war on nations that they don’t like or who started it first, and trade with ones that they do like or just like the gold of. How are the people affected by their environment, status, and culture? Well, if they live in the woods, they have a lot of lumber, and there’s probably animals, so they have those two to trade and fight to keep; but there isn’t really much space to grow crops, so that’s what they trade to get or raid from their enemies.
It’s easy to decide, ‘Ok, I want my nation to be a democracy now,’ and write up a civil war that ends with the king dead and election posters stapled to trees. What really makes it interesting is when you think about how that changes the way of life for the people. What if they don’t have any idea of democracy, no one around them has thought of it? Where does the idea come from then? It could be a revolution started by a peasant with just a little learning and some galaxy-sized testicles, or a merchant who thinks the guilds might be able to control the government by secretly merging their votes for someone who increases tariffs.
This goes for races too. Say I come up with a race that doesn’t have the need to eat, or they can eat something that is plentiful and cheap, like dirt. How would that affect society? For one thing, they wouldn’t have first started coming together as farming communities, they might instead have first started society for protection or companionship. How would that affect the way they view others? Well, everyone else could be shunned, ‘Oh, what’s that, you’re starving? I can’t hear you over the sound of your stomach growling’ or they could be respected, ‘Look at that. Those people were so hungry, whatever that means, that they came together and made cities while we were living in tents. I guess being hungry means you’re motivated to get stuff done.’

Try to be unique.
That’s what this game is about, really, creating a world of our own, so while it’s fine to base your nation off a real world or other fictional one, it’s much more satisfying to come up with your own government and culture. Besides, then you get to come up with stuff like a society that headbutts people as a friendly greeting, or a nation that has a legal requirement that everyone have a pet monkey. Or one that, you know, has a different handshake or something. That’s cool too.

Most important: have fun. It’s what we’re doing this for anyway, after all.

Hmmm.
I think I'm going to go for a different approach this time. Perhaps an imperialistic nation, to allow me more (interesting)contact with others.

Are you going to do quality control, i.e. moderating posts and striking out implausible or lame stuff?
For example, someone might think it a good idea to name a continent or a country after himself or take it from LoTR/SW/Twilight lore, like Arnor or Tatooine or Bella. That's kind of a turn-off and should be moderated, imo.

Blatant and stupid uses or copying names to try to put off work will not be accepted. Much as I dislike having to use GM authority, I will to ensure all players are able to play without also wanting to slaughter each other.

Still, some people like to sneak little references in, as long as that's not all you're using your nation for, I'm not going to instantly eject you from the thread or anything.

Nice,

And I don't think Arnor sounded that bad, my problem was more with Gahamia and Grahamia :lol:
And later my own island's name as well.

But yes, there will be quality control. Also feel free to message Diputs or me when you feel uncomfortable with something :wink:

So whats up guys. Had some problems with my account so yeah, I'd be interested in doing this whole shabang again.

Also known as Draco Wrath

:lol:

Glad to see some interest, and yes, as Lord Tim said, message one of us for any questions or complaints.

Judean said:
So whats up guys. Had some problems with my account so yeah, I'd be interested in doing this whole shabang again.

Also known as Draco Wrath

:lol:

I thought I felt a disturbance in the Forum... As though a wielder of mighty keyboard had died, and was resurrected again...

Most likely still going to be a little while before the official start, but does anyone have preliminary starting locations picked out? I have several different ways my culture could go, and am going to alter it based on where I wind up starting out, so I'm going to be waiting for others to claim their regions first.

I still enjoy the small nation expands to big nation approach.

2a6wlmd.jpg

I got a bigger island, punk.  :lol:

Eh, I want to mention something there. This worl is quite large. You all just indicated lands larger than France while we're in a very early era :razz: Just saying, you might want to adjust it a little bit.

can I start in that little archipelago bottom right? In the shallow sea?  Not all of it at once, but a couple of islands and a desire to eat a different kind of fish....

very nice.  What sort of era are we starting in?  Do any technologies exist yet? (this leads to, do I start with:
can we eat the strange tall people that arrived in the very strange tall raft?; or
can we eat the latest round of bloody explorers with their poncy square-rigged barques?.)

I think the start will be somewhere around the universal year -10.000 (the year 0 being the year we develop spaceflight). Of course your culture may have their own way of counting the years based on their own religion or mythology.
So the beginning will be somewhere around the transition from nomad to settled tribes.

I'm just reserving for now, the close-by island is also a part of it. It's also rather large, but it's not one nation. It's just indicating the lands where the ancestors of the later Kervan people started settling with many rival tribes.
I'll have more detailed maps on later with a pile of information. :wink:
prekervantribes1.png

And just a few more thoughts:

I'm not very sure if Diputs will place the first age cap at -10.000, but it'll be somewhere around that, so imperialistic nations will have to wait, for now.
There's probably not even going to be a writing system for the next 2-3000 years. Just experimenting farmers and village elders painting on rocks with cattle-blood-and-mud-soup.

Does that make these eras less interesting to play? No.
You can write how they started to work the lands, new religions, folklore, music, culture, early architecture and so on.
The Bible and the Koran will have to wait, however.

And one more thing, wouldn't it be interesting to keep the northwestern continent undiscovered by the later 'modern world'? As a kind of New World ready for colonization.

I'm having an issue with the map, there's no equator.

Also what do you mean by leaving the northwestern area "undiscovered"? Can one create a place there just not making people aware of it. Or wait until someone "discovers it" and brand new species, races, history just unfolds before one?

No, no. Of course right now it makes little sense. it's just a tribal place like any other. Maybe the continent could evolve without the other continents knowing about it until pretty late, crausing a late culture clash or something.
It was only a suggestion though :wink:

Also, I'm assuming the equator is actually the center line of the map. Diputs created it, let's wait for his response.
I want to add a question, what about poles? :razz:

Well if it's center line of the map then the geographical areas are all wrong. For instance look at our own map, along the the equator there's rainforests and deserts. It's hot and humid or just hot. There is a consitency to our world, you know that the further away from the equator it will be colder, therefore life and plants and all that will be different.

Well... we didn't say anything about temperature did we?
I assume it's rather cold on the northern and southern edges, but I'm also not very sure how far they are from the poles.
Also remember, it's low-fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom