Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skyrage said:
Gothic Knight said:
Might be skipping this, unless they make it better than the piece of **** Oblivion was.

Ditto.

I bet you anything that they are going to streamline TES5 even more, and have even more meaningless crap in it (horses in Oblivion anyone?).

No I agree the point of horses in Elder scrolls IV still escapes me, you couldn't use your sword while mounted, the animation for the horse was odd and you have no need to even buy a horse in the game...

though I always loved how Bethesda then released DLCs for the game that added armour to the horse and stuff... now I want to know what the point of that is....

It made your horse slightly harder to kill and the attached quest let you upgrade the horse's stats somewhat. If you never used horses in the first place then yes, it would be pretty useless. If you were a horse user on the other hand it was pretty damn useful. Without the upgrade and armour horses had a tendency to get themselves killed by charging into combat whenever you got into a fight, meaning if you wanted a horse you were pretty much stuck with following a certain questline which gave you a unique NPC horse (which like most critical NPC's could only be KO'd rather than killed). With the armour and the upgrades it made regular horses somewhat more resilient. They couldn't be trusted to wipe out a bandit ambush or bear single handedly, but they could be a useful assist in the early game while the elven armour ensured they survived at least long enough for you to attempt to rescue them should they be attacked.

Yeah, they were essentially right next to each other. But I like how Ebonheart provides a scale for exactly how large Vivec and Vvardenfell really is.

Selothi said:
I find Morrowind pretty ugly without any fog to cover up the distance. Being able to see a bit farther makes that mod awesome though.

Anyway, if I remember my lore correctly, there aren't any dragons that exist as beasties in Tamriel, save supposedly the first emperor of that Tiger Race of Akavir that turned into one, right ?

There were little dragons called dragonlings in Daggerfall, and I remember one of the books mentioned that dragons used to exist, but were sort of treated as a legend by the time of TES.

There's also a quest involving one of the Daedra Lords, Peryite, who looks a lot like a dragon.

old_peryite.jpg

Archonsod said:
meaning if you wanted a horse you were pretty much stuck with following a certain questline which gave you a unique NPC horse

**** horses, I used a dragon :eek:

Mods ftw.

Moose! said:
Selothi said:
I find Morrowind pretty ugly without any fog to cover up the distance. Being able to see a bit farther makes that mod awesome though.

Anyway, if I remember my lore correctly, there aren't any dragons that exist as beasties in Tamriel, save supposedly the first emperor of that Tiger Race of Akavir that turned into one, right ?

There were little dragons called dragonlings in Daggerfall, and I remember one of the books mentioned that dragons used to exist, but were sort of treated as a legend by the time of TES.

There's also a quest involving one of the Daedra Lords, Peryite, who looks a lot like a dragon.

old_peryite.jpg

Naturally, Peryite looks like one, and what with all the "Orders of the Dragon" and such that the Imperials had, they had dragons in their religion (Akatosh for instance) but no real flying lizards I don't think.

Well, if they do have a dragon some modder will no doubt turn it into something like Akatosh Mount. I just wonder one thing- if the game has a dragon in it, how will the dragon act? Will it be good or evil, and will it fly over a village killing everybody in its path if some adventurer "encourages" it?

Akatosh is a golden dragon, which suggests he, like Peryite is simply a powerful daedra who has chosen to appear in dragon form rather than being an actual dragon. The only known species of dragons are either red or black.

The Dragons themselves are an Akavir species which migrated at some point prior to the First Era. They're not mythical at all, there's plenty of well substantiated appearances of them. Dragonlings are in fact dragons, they're just immature. Encounters with mature dragons (or at least ones in which someone survived to record the experience) are fairly rare, but that's largely because they tend to settle the more remote and inaccessible regions and avoid contact with what they view as lesser races (who have a similar view of the dragons).

The last appearance in a game was in Redguard - you get to fight a Red Dragon formerly employed by Tiber Septim himself.

As far as the Empire goes, associations with dragons in heraldry, orders and similar groups are more likely to be references to Akatosh rather than actual Dragons. There's no real mythology around the mundane dragons in the Imperial culture, they're simply seen as incredibly dangerous animals.

Merlkir said:
well, the Blades look Romanish...I guess it's progress. :wink:
They're supposed to. The Blades base themselves of the Akaviri military tradition rather than the Tamrielic one due to it's supposed superiority, and it's the Akaviri who were a rip off of the Romans. They influenced the Empire during the first era when they invaded (and were defeated by Reman I, so you can probably guess where the idea behind it comes from). The humans in Cyrodil (the Imperial Province, High Rock etc) are the descendants of the Nordic population that was over ran and thus influenced by the Akaviri. Or in other words, you can see the 'modern' Imperial culture as a reflection of the rising German and Scandinavian cultures in the aftermath of Rome's collapse.

My friend telling me about it a few days ago:

Him: "Man, they announced Oblivion 5 today."

Me: "(knowing exactly what he meant)..... What?"

Him: "I mean Morrowind 5, haha."

Me: "..... What?!?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom