[EG II] TALES OF HARDY ADVENTURERS

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I know Chel, it's just that I really like seeing the big group of deer hunters, bows in hand.  :shock: Dunno why, just prefer archers for this campaign. Plus I'm not a big fan of the bear hunters for some reason either, heh. I'll just have to take my chances!

Shard - Wandering Barbarian currently level 18. Footman.
He hates rhodok skirmishers after an epic battle involving his entire army being wiped out by goliath warriors. Enraged, he killled all of them, and as the last one fell a crossbow bolt hit him, from one of the few remaining units on the enemies side.

Has already consumed 3 death wards. A footmens life is tough.
He's never tried to solo anything. As soon as he got some denars he recruited a bunch of bear clan tribesman and began running around getting the absolute **** kicked out of himself. He got taken prisoner several times. Several wounds(although none permanent). I like to think of it as bad luck rather than no skill :grin:. It wasn't all bad though.
After leveling a few times off the usual weak units (deserters,bear clan bands, scouts) and getting some cash he got some decent gear. His main targets were swadian scouts and patrols. Some onyx and nord thrown in too. But swadians have better loot I think.
Sometimes attacks lord parties and pays off the 'fine'.
He runs around with a hodepodge group, bit of everything, although no elite units and few weak ones.

Has all the tomes bar saracen and northerner. Spent a few epic trophies on INT for healing and travel party skills as he doesn't plan on getting any heros until after he has all the tomes.

Might join a faction soon. Undecided about which.

I've been having a lot of fun, getting strength up. Finally made it to 20 strength, i was happy i could use my new onyx helmet! And again, my great luck strikes back and i get knocked down from my horse. Suffer something.. -3 strength, -1 agility and -1 intelligence. Huzzah.

Great changes are brewing...

While in Zendar to treat his bad wound, Wunderlin hired a force of 50 deer hunters with the intention of heading back out with a bang. He rested only a day before moving out. His first victim was a now-relatively small group of manhunters, only 13 strong. They reluctantly moved towards Wunderlin's line of archers, getting mowed down with relative ease. However, a few of them still got through and inflicted some damage on his ranks.

After that, Wunderlin was feeling a bit too confident, and decided to attack a group of Saracen cavalry, around 23 of them in all. This proved to be a costly mistake. With their shields held high, the Saracens were able to encroach upon Wunderlin's forces with nary suffering a loss, and once there, completely dominated the lowly hunters. Wunderlin himself was knocked out, luckily not suffering any serious wounds, but was captured by his foes. Many men died in the battle, dozens more captured by the Saracens.

For days, Wunderlin was dragged around by his captors, when he finally found a chance to escape and did so, but not without securing an escape for his now beloved Ymira as well. They were the only two left after that horrible ordeal. Much of Wunderlin's gold and inventory were stolen, including several horses from his pack. He decided that from this moment on, if we was to continue being successful as he was in the early going, he would need to adapt to what was happening around him. This undeniably means a new army makeup, less dependent on deer hunters, and who knows if things continue to go poorly, he might even swear allegiance to one of the kings of Calradia. Until then however, he and Ymira will rest.......

He's currently level 12 incidentally.

Chel, is there any way to make resting at Zendar inn possible? Often times I find myself based there and needing to sleep through the night or what have you, but it's not an option. It's weird how the dialog to rest at inns was removed from native, but I'm hoping you could work your magic to bring it back, at least for Zendar since the rest can be accessed through the menu, though it'd be nice if you could talk to the tavern keeper to do so as well. 

Jaeke said:
Has already consumed 3 death wards. A footmens life is tough.

The beauty of wandering barbarian is that he is able to raise his riding up to 5 and dominate annoying rhodoks with ease. My is level 21 now and he is riding warhorse.

I'd also recommend you to get use of your high throwing skill. My char capable to 1 shot templars in the face with heavy artisan jarid.

Jaeke said:

Impressive number of kills for a footman! And I guess not carrying any NPCs with you pays off in the loot, since you've had three death wards already.

Wonderland said:
Chel, is there any way to make resting at Zendar inn possible? Often times I find myself based there and needing to sleep through the night or what have you, but it's not an option. It's weird how the dialog to rest at inns was removed from native, but I'm hoping you could work your magic to bring it back, at least for Zendar since the rest can be accessed through the menu, though it'd be nice if you could talk to the tavern keeper to do so as well. 

Yeah, it is a good idea. I'll keep it in mind.

I've played enough horse characters, foot is more fun, well it's different anyway. I'd probably get the trainer to increase riding skill up to 6 if i was making a barbarian horseman. or even more. Does it increase the skill when you pay for it or only increases the skill cap?
I think khergits are the hardest for this guy, and vaegirs where the the hardest for my horse archer.
I use a crossbow for the accuracy, Throwing weapons are too inaccurate for me, if they are close enough for a definite hit then im basically almost in melee range and im confident enough to take out most units in melee combat.

I've killed a lot of parties with elites, war trophies were more rare then epic trophies for me. 

Shard took out a northern army recently, no book :sad: . Took 2 tries. First time they more than doubled us, took out alot of them then a damn reinforcement wave full of cavalry trampled me. Broken arm. Got more units. Attacked again. Win. Luckily they were still hanging about the same spot. Haven't found a new northern army since. Saracen horde is bumming about in vaegir lands with 550 units.

I need to drop my army and go solo some stuff for renown, after/if I get a northern tome. Party size is not high enough to take out a saracen horde.

Go go int!

I beefed up pathfinding to 5, first aid 5, surgery 2(for those large armies) leadership to 3 then read the life of alexinus the great(+1leadership). Need more spotting to find these armies.

I wonder how devastating focus will make him, I havent used it yet. I remember machine gun fire a few versions back(with an archer)

EDIT: I'd need to put 3-4 points in weapon master to get any benefit, and its not my main damage so I'd prolly spend them elsewhere.
I like Focus for the swing speed bonus. Its only the heaviest armour enemies that take more than a hit or 2 at my current damage(and fallen/perished ones), well when I rage anyway. perhaps I need to get pstrike 10 and athletics 10 then I can focus all the way :grin:

EDITEDIT: Focus is way cool, attacks are really fast. Need more powerstrike due to lack of raging.

Focus is awesome for a character that already has high powerstrike.
Are you planning to place any skill points in weapon proficiency? You could increase 'crossbows' with the points you've saved up.

Jaeke said:
I'd probably get the trainer to increase riding skill up to 6 if i was making a barbarian horseman. or even more. Does it increase the skill when you pay for it or only increases the skill cap?

only increases the skill cap.

Just downloaded yesterday EGII, I think it's great, awesome, love the sounds of bashing shields and arrows flying by. Anyway, i'm going to start an adventure with max difficult level so I can post it here hehe. So, what character do you suggest? I've tryed some of them, but I don't really get into the characters roll, like a manhunter, not hunting many men, a old knight, not very Knight as my companions just leave me behind or they just do whatever they wanna do :???:
So, my question: What character is the best or one of the best? And wich bonus should I get? (Lucky, companion...)
Start posting tonight hopefully if I get rid of my homework...Exams :cry:

Sometimes i like to get off my horse and kill the last enemy without using a shield at all. Well, it was the last enemy of a onyx army. I didn't even notice my health since i had rick astley playing in the background, and bam.. i get a bolt at my knee. Another wound to recover from, yay.

JD said:
So, my question: What character is the best or one of the best? And wich bonus should I get? (Lucky, companion...)

I'm not sure which character is the best, and the bonus to get depends on what character you pick and how you want to develop him.

Those with straightforward ways to play are horse tamer, barbarian, merchant, khergit prince. They can of course also be developed into more complicated branching characters, especially if you train extra skill with the trainer. I really like the wildman but he takes some strategy to not lose everything due to being taken prisoner often (wounds/death are less of a problem for him because of high ironflesh and int)

Peasant said:
Sometimes i like to get off my horse and kill the last enemy without using a shield at all. Well, it was the last enemy of a onyx army. I didn't even notice my health since i had rick astley playing in the background, and bam.. i get a bolt at my knee. Another wound to recover from, yay.

hah!
which character are you playing?

Jaeke said:
EDIT: I'd need to put 3-4 points in weapon master to get any benefit, and its not my main damage so I'd prolly spend them elsewhere.
I like Focus for the swing speed bonus. Its only the heaviest armour enemies that take more than a hit or 2 at my current damage(and fallen/perished ones), well when I rage anyway. perhaps I need to get pstrike 10 and athletics 10 then I can focus all the way :grin:

yeah..
weapon master also makes you gain weap proficiency points faster, with 700 kills you'd have more than 400-450 in two-handed by now I think if you had high weap proficiency. But its just another path of character development for agility-based characters. Int (focus) or Str (power strike) are other ways.

I had no idea weapon master increased the rate you gained weapon skill. Is that so in native also? Might put 2 puts in it next time.
I'd be nice if trainer gave a % weapon skill increase to your army. 1% per point or something. or 3 per point.

EDIT: Encountered a recently spawned northern army, Shards 88 vs their 280ish. Personally killed 56 but took a lot of damage and retreated. A total of 150 killed. They wounded 27/killed 23 of mine. Went to sargoth and rested overnight. Came back took out a bear clan band with 25 prisoners(mainly crap). Attacked again. 80ish vs 136, 93 cavalry, 10 warlords of the north, 33 northman. It was a close one. My army waited at the edge of the map as they were mainly cavalry. (a scam but their is no pikewall option available for infantry either so... ) they smashed into our units. I sent my cavalry out a few times. Their reinforcements repeatedly smashed into us at the edge. Almost all my units were killed at the end. 4 remaining on our side vs their 10 who retreated/scattered about the map. was on very low health. Shot most of them with my crossbow. win. 2 chipped scars, (hello money) 1 northern tome:grin:. 1 epic trophy. Bunch of war trophies. Tonnes of loot.

Am now running about with 30 high end'ish units. Trying to get a bit of renown. Reading all the book merchant books. Need more epic trophies.
Still searching for that elusive Reinforced Dark Plate. 2handed weapon skill seems to have hit a wall too.
Saracen horde to go :grin:

Update:

Got 10 powerstrike 10 athletics :grin:, switched to polearms for a bit. read all books(i think). Saracen horde still got 450 units. got about 600 renown now.
Trying to level up quicker, I tell my army to wait while I go ahead solo. If you get knocked out they pick up your body, and with the new patch they dont steal your loot. :grin:

Dont get cocky now...

I found a slightly heavier/more armour helm after that, not that it would have helped.

Yay! I finally brought myself to finish the business.
hardcoedimmortalwv1.jpg

800 man Saracen horde stood between Hardcoed and the last book of life. For the rest of his life (quite long, eh?) he would remember the *clang* sound of arrow hitting saracen shield. They all had shields, dammit! Sometimes it sucks to be a dedicated horse archer.
However this time the battle was far easier as 190 men totalling 40k wage were brought to the steppe battlefield with as fine weather as it can be. All the higher-end cavalry that could be mastered. They cut through initial Saracen waves like knife through butter, taking out eight enemies for every man lost.
/* I play on laptop on 72 battlesize setting, as more men on battlefield would hurt fps so much that archery would be no fun */
With time though saracen infantry came to an end and all-cav waves emerged, together with my heavy-hitters going out too. With masses of caravan guards opposing Saracen cavalry and Mamluks battle became more even. It was at that time when a stray saracen sliced Hardcoed from behind while the latter was concentrated on targetting.
+ broken leg, deathward intact

Companions carried Hardcoed out of the battle. There were less than 30 of them still standing, while the enemy was at 100.
But who cares about injury or numbers when the last book is soo close. As soon as Hardcoed was able to jump into saddle again, he smashed into the Horde remains. This time all the saracens were killed, and here we are, 8th book of life at last.
hardcoedstatfinalkt4.jpg

JD said:

Awesome, first immortal on full difficulty - Khergit Prince.

[URL=http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shard2020pr1.jpg]

Looks like your barb is doing just fine on foot, Jaeke, you should make a movie of one of your solo rampages!

Aye, NutCracker is my name and there used to be a "Sir" to go along with my name, too.

My past
I used to be the royal bodyguard when not on the battlefield and well, because of my propensity to black out during battle and thus to crack the enemies' nuts with my mailed fists, the king himself took it upon him to rename me "NutCracker".

But I guess that doesn't matter anymore these days.

I'm a retired knight, did my time for my king Harlaus and his father before him and was rewarded with a nice patch of farmland to live off henceforth.

Live off it I did, got me a nice young wife...whom I found romping with the stable boy, some day last week.

The present
I must've blacked out, since I don't remember how I came by Zendar, but on account of the townsfolk here someone must've beheaded a young woman and a stable boy, shat on their remains and put the whole estate to the torch. The farm's owner, an old knight, is supposed to have gone missing. Some say, he must've perished in the flames.

So, my life is in shambles and I decided I could as well live by the rule of the sword, again.

Day 1
So, here I am, in Zendar, with 20.000 coins I 'borrowed' from some merchants in the whorehouse. Speaking of which, the whores had the nerve to try to CHARGE me for their services. ME! Can you believe that? Well, I had to cut off the madam's shrivelled and shrunken teats (if you can call them that) to make my point.
Damn people! No respect for their elders anymore!

After I left the whorehouse and while I've been sheathing my bloody sword

leavingwhorehouseuy7.jpg

that pesky old Ramun (he's even older than I am) had the nerve to laugh at my moves. He called me "rusty"!

So, I just swaggered down the steps and walloped him.

wallopingramunaz9.jpg

All that hard work left me panting, so I took Bruno, the trainer, up on his offer to refresh my old skills a bit.
I got roughed up a few times, but in the end I pulled through, albeit with lots of nagging and aching joints.

Now, I'm enjoying a well deserved tankard of ale in the fine tavern of Zendar; let's hope for thei tavernkeeper's sake he won't try to charge me this ale!

Alas! Maybe I should go searching for that immortality everyone in here is blathering about.

Anyway, after the training the town's medicus ran an examination on my health and my skills.
Take a look at the rubbish he calls a result (and keep in mind, that this drawing of my face makes me look far older than I am!):

statsgl2.jpg

So, this was the first day of my new life.

Looking forward for the next day of you're life hehe. Anyway, just started with a wild man of wercheg, I think I atract larga sharp objects.
First battle: got an axe in my foot.
Third battle: got an axe on my back
Fourth battle: got an axe on my face, then died.

They probably sell his journal as a comedy or something at the tabern of wercheg or whatever.

Now I started a game with a well to do merchant, got a good inheretence, and first thing to do was grab a boat out to nowere and hope for the best. Then trained, got owned a few times and went on with life, buying a moon rifle, a moon pistol and heavy iron cartriges. Then I went to the tavern and found 3 large axes worth 12.000 denars, it was just there, probably put there by Dranton, but since his not talking to me, **** it, its mine now. Sold it an got annother heavy iron cartriges, this left me with something like 5000 denars and 24 bullets and no hand to hand weapon...
Then I bought some junk in Wercheg and sold it to some idiot in Sargoth who bought it all (Bought it all for 4000 denars, sold it all for 6500 denars).
I found out that I could do really good with this buy-sell thing, so I did it for some time till I got 30.000 denars in my purse. After that, every single bandit in Calradia was after me...O though I had 20 mounted caravan guards (dont hire them unless you like them or something, coz they're crap and cost a lot.
Well, I had a skirmish with some bandits, 30 of them, who had atlantis armour! all of them and the best horses around...So that was like an Oh **** moment. Got owned a few times, killed 10 of them and lost most of my merchandise and something like 4000 denars...Anyway, got away, bought a regular hat, one that looks like a pirate one, but still its cool with it's shape of a black triangle.
Anyway, i'm going from city to city travelling and getting stuff, a bit of a boring life, but me and newly recruited men have some fun on the way killing some refuges and villagers (I know, pure evil, but it's a borign life dude). Got an axe wright throw my chest, but fully recovered...Weird...Anyway, with my guns I kill everyone around me while i'm on my horse riding about. Got really good at it, 170 firearms prophency or whatever the name :???:
Every faction has asked me to be their vassal, but there should be an option saying ''Why don't YOU be my vassal?'' That would piss them off and would be cool :lol:
All this with full damage and everythin, i'll post some images soon :smile:

Signed,

JD the Bored Merchant.

PS:Sorry for my English, i'm spanish :wink:

Any good software + settings you'd recommend for video making? I've tried using fraps. Made the game laggy, massively huge video output file. I expected the lag but not the 1 gig file from 30 sec of video >.> (complete nub at video stuff)
I really wish you could save battles to watch later, could make some epic videos then.

JD said:
They probably sell his journal as a comedy or something at the tabern of wercheg or whatever.

Now I started a game with a well to do merchant, got a good inheretence, and first thing to do was grab a boat out to nowere and hope for the best. Then trained, got owned a few times and went on with life, buying a moon rifle, a moon pistol and heavy iron cartriges.

keep in mind you cannot do the Immortality quest if you went to illumination age.

Jaeke said:
Any good software + settings you'd recommend for video making? I've tried using fraps. Made the game laggy, massively huge video output file. I expected the lag but not the 1 gig file from 30 sec of video >.> (complete nub at video stuff)
I really wish you could save battles to watch later, could make some epic videos then.

I used GameCam Lite. (version 1.6 I think, try to find that because the new version they made doesn't let you record for free I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom