Dungeons & Dragons [+Other Tabletop RPGs]

Users who are viewing this thread

Yes, exactly  :lol: He botched some intrigue and the other politicians made due with that to oust him away for some ladder climbing room.

While it could be played as a DnD-like game, it's using it's own combat system.

I'm looking forward to it a lot though. Especially creating adventures of my own, given how big of a DnD enthusiast I've become lately...

A few months ago I played with a group of weeb dudes from a discord group, the history was that we were a group of adventurers who stole a ship to sail away to a mysterious island that was inhabited by strange Monster Girls. The party was weird, we had a Warrior alcooholic Dwarf, typical, a horny bdsm dragonborn bard,  a retarded alcoholic gnome, a pirate guy. I was a noble dwarf warlock who had ties with the Fiend eldritch god, which I would like to share

We had to steal a ship. Stealing the ship composed of me getting caught by one of the guards, since I was a nobleman he just asked what I was doing in the harbor at night, which I responded '' I am depressed '' guard went away to get me booze and a blanket after I got a successful dice roll, everyone had managed to sneak into the ship, but the bard, who decided that he would play his bongos to distract the guards who were most at sleep, he woke up everyone and we almost died, but thanks to my magic skills we stole the ship and sailed away.

We got there, but the ship crashed, me and the warrior dwarf almost drowned but got away safely afterwards. We then found a goblin camp, two of our companions got captured but I knew what to do, I would just blow up a whole on their palisade and we would just storm in. That failed, I exploded myself with a fireball spell that did 6d8 or something like that.  They continued without me for a while, they got captured by females goblins who raped man. The party killed one of their leaders and eventually escaped to a elf village.

After a few days, into the abyss of darkness talking to the eldritch god, I was reborn as a meltskin, who then betrayed the party by managing to convince the female goblins who had just lost their leaders by using a spell to resurrect him so they could believe I was some sort of god. Me and the Goblins raided the village where the party was, I got to do a evil speech, but they just started attacked me immediatly, thanks to the goblins and a perfect dice roll I managed to sneak away and the DM gave me a new spell, I could now become a wraith at any time.

After managing to escape I met a beholder girl who was the big bad behind everything so I was working for her as some sort of Lich King, another player also joined the bad side so I know had a fighter for me.

From there forward the adventure was to just stop the good guys from going forward, so sabotaging a diplomacy with a dragon queen, stoping santa claus, **** like that.

Eventually I had to become a super demon to stop them from progressing, I killed their dwarf warrior, almost killed the gnome, but they got the best of me and I died. And that is where my story ends. 

I don't know what happened then, because I stopped talking with the boys for a while, but it was weird and fun, they would go full retarded on those play section, there are things that happened that I don't even know how to mention here. But playing as the bad guy was so much fun

I've always wanted to try something like that with my group. But I've never found a way to implement it right. I'd have to wait for a character to have a chance to go down that path which is easy enough but to make it as surprising as possible for the rest of the group I don't know how I'd do it since we play in the same room on a table old school style. Maybe just "You're dead, go home." Then text him what I'm planning so he'd just wait in the bathroom while I set him up as an evil resurrected traitor?  :lol:

I'd have to plan it secretly with said person from the start of the campaign/session but that's not as epic.

Anyway I've noticed people use some awesome setup to play D&D over pc and mic like this :

I've tried asking them what that is but I've got no answer. Anyone here got experience with this sort of thing?

Me and this group, we played on discord, there is a bot that has a command for dice rolls, so it was just perfect. There are character sheet templates online, books and ****, so it really wasn't that bad.

In my current game we all woke up in a prison dungeon/death gauntlet and escaped. One of the other players killed my character after he was incapacitated. So my next characters backstory was to be the guy that put them in the dungeon to start with. Now he follows them around to watch their decision put them in dire straights or engineer situations himself. Like in his prison he would prefer to see them die but doesn't want to do it himself as he much prefers the show. Me and the DM haven't told anyone else yet but I drop hints. I also place amulets for a cult of Jublex that spawn in a horde of gelatinous cubes in towns we pass through. I'm ignored by the cubes as part of the deal but the party is not, god help them if they ever get their hands on the bag of holding containing all the amulets. The party thinks they're tokens of my god.
Closest I've gotten to being the bad guy of the campaign.

ES D20 Update:

Our humble party of recently crowned Blades just survived our first murder/mystery, was really fun, and much harder than we already anticipated.

Tragically for an innocent noble, despite finding the actual culprit, we framed him to set up a later benefit to the Empire (we're Blades after all).

Was a ton of fun and I remain amused/amazed by how much freedom a TT game has compared to a computer game.

In other news, we're continuing our main story task of pretending to be a Aldmeri Justicar and his retinue (long con is go). I'll have to write up the story of how we killed him and his retinue before assuming their identities at some other time.

Hehe sounds like a cool story. When in the ES timeline do you guys play?
I set mine 20 years after the oblivion crisis. The Thalmor on the rise, argonian invasion on the way, Clan of Crowned stirring in Hammerfall
and refugees fleeing the dominion.

I've always had a problem with one thing. I'm alright at making a story and many crooks and turns and layers and layers of onions.

But I always feel I'm cheating my group when it comes to combat. I always make it too easy. I try and make up for it by narrating it flashingly
so they feel too cool to be bored but damn. I just don't understand how to make the combat balanced because I never figured out how challenge ratings work.

Can anyone explain those to me and how to use them effectively? Making a challenging monster makes me just create a character and it's getting tedious.

For ES I have no idea how to balance enemies but you could just fib it. If you really want an epic fight though just refuse to let the big monster/opponent go down until it's nearly killed all of them, give it hits when it misses. That sort of thing, as long as they can't see your roll the enemy can be as epic as you want.

Yeah I guess for ES it kinda has to be that way atm. But I really don't like doing stuff like that. I don't enjoy forcing the story to fit my ends, I like it to play out so I myself am surprised and impressed. I'm almost always the dm even though I really want to be a player, so this is my succor(?). No one else can be bothered to DM. It's part of the reason I chose to ES the D&D. So I'd have an easier time to create a story with already established building blocks.

But I'm just talking about D&D 3.5 to be specific. I plan to continue the old world I created. But I just don't get how challenge rating works and monsters. Really need someone to hold my hand through that.

The challenge rating system is unnecessary. As the DM, it's your prerogative to fudge combat for the sake of narrative, and to learn from previous encounters to make future fights appropriate. If your party is stomping groups of enemies with ease, maybe put them up against a small elite group of enemies that are particularly resistant to your party's preferred tactics. Got a mage who freezes every enemy in a fight with frost magic? Make them fight a frost atronach, or a skilled mage that can counter some of their cheesier abilities. Have a really aggressive melee fighter in your party? Put them up against an opponent with an enchanted shield that can sense incoming attacks and try to block them on its own. The key is to make the enemies interesting to fight without totally countering any member of the party, and only you can do that because you know what the party is capable of. Putting them against difficult opponents will force them to come up with different approaches, which is challenging and fun.

It's also not against the "rules" to make an opponent your party can't beat yet. Just avoid killing off the whole party because "lol you shouldn't have started a fight with the imperial legion," make their actions have consequences but always have a path to recovery present (though it doesn't have to be obvious). Start a fight with the legion? You're now in their prisoner train after they overwhelmed you, and they're taking you wherever they're going. Maybe some connection they made previously in the campaign will bail them out later, or they can escape at an opportune moment, or maybe you'll make the next season of Orange is the New Black. :lol:

Guess I'm a sucker for rules and stuff. And you're right of course. Just need to think outside the box more.

I don't like D&D for it's HP/level system.

Mouse Guard introduces some ideas for basic narrative GMing. What does the PC believe in/fight for? Challenge those beliefs!

Throw obstacles in his way, wilderness, weather, beast and mice.

Player fails a roll? Don't just let them reroll and try again. Let them succeed but at a price. Or send them down another path.

Player can't find the missing mouse? Let him find the snake who ate him instead.

I'm making a vampire the masquerade game set in the late Roman Republic and i needed historical tips.
I'm a long-time vampire player and master so i know how it work but i wondered what interesting historical twist i could send their way.

We're playing during 50BC, 1 year before Caesar civil war.

I plan to let them bet in the arena, do some roman style realpolitik and so on.
Is there any obscure and interesting fact about the city of Rome i should know that would be interesting for a vampire game?

Back
Top Bottom