Does the weight of horse's Harness/Armor effect the horse's handling, acceleration and/or top speed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Not the player's armor, the horses equipped harness. Each harness has a weight value.

I know it seems like an obvious "yes it does". One would also conclude that the player's total weight also effects the horse's handling and speed but I searched and read on these forums that the rider's total weight including gear in fact does NOT effect our mount's speed or handling so I thought I better ask about the weight of the harness.

Thanks for any info you might have on this topic.

Not the player's armor, the horses equipped harness. Each harness has a weight value.

I know it seems like an obvious "yes it does". One would also conclude that the player's total weight also effects the horse's handling and speed but I searched and read on these forums that the rider's total weight including gear in fact does NOT effect our mount's speed or handling so I thought I better ask about the weight of the harness.

Thanks for any info you might have on this topic.

From my playthrough experience they don't affect the horse in any way. I can gallop on Aserai horse with full plate harness and heavy armor and it's fast as hell. Faster than any "light cavalry" I've seen.

From my playthrough experience they don't affect the horse in any way. I can gallop on Aserai horse with full plate harness and heavy armor and it's fast as hell. Faster than any "light cavalry" I've seen.

Okay thx.

That's cool I suppose but I'm hoping for a realism mod where rider's weight and armor actually effect the horse speed and handling to some extent.

It throws off balance by the weight of the player and the weight of the horse's armor not effecting horse performance at all. Basically the heaviest armor and most armored harness while on horseback are the only choice which is lame because "light" armor on the player along with "light" horse harness doesn't equate to being fast or better handling while on the mount.

Not only is this immersion breaking it negates potential strategy options within our army build as far as "light cavalry" vs heavy cav. Because the player's/companions armor and the horses armor dont effect mount speed or mount handling just put on the heaviest armor and most armored harness.

Last edited:
Maybe there will be a mod for it someday or the developers might add it. Anyway it would be a quite good realistic feature, as it could always make the game slightly harder.

Maybe there will be a mod for it someday or the developers might add it. Anyway it would be a quite good realistic feature, as it could always make the game slightly harder.

Well what's odd is the fact that weight of the armor for player and weight values for the harness are in the game but the only thing that currently seems to effect speed are Riding and Athletics. Perhaps weight just isn't factored in yet because it's early access?

missile speed needs to be 50-60% of current values.

moving on foot implies as if characters had very little weight and armor doesnt slow the character well enough. Athletics at 120+ ? Or what about 300 ? I guess I would be running with the horses. (non-lame variants)

Horses at skills 150+ really do feel like motorcycles,

Normal small bow crossbows are not able to shoot 250 meters away.

All arrows seem to have the same weight, same for bolts.

even ballista on turret when you hit something close range, missile velocity is in excess of 100 meters per second. Very unrealistic, kills the mood.

Historical crossbows that I have seen that were recorded, the last ones I was checking, a heavy siege composite xbow for defense, had 50-60 meters per second depending on how heavy was the bolt. The famed uberpowerful 72,6 kg draw english longbow, managed some 53 or 54 m/s. (even heavier ones would most likely still shoot the same light arrow at 80 grams)With a much lighter arrow.(1/3-4,5x) And that is way long after this game is set. I would suppose that previous weaponry would most likely be weaker compared to that. Not necessarily, but possibly.

Everything moves way too fast.

Infantry, looters faster than olympic runners especially on retreat. Too fast missiles, their rocks flying at around 40 m/s is also humanly impossible.

Tone down the movement of infantry, horses, missiles. Then rebalance them. It is early access, time for major improvements.

moving on foot implies as if characters had very little weight and armor doesnt slow the character well enough. Athletics at 120+ ? Or what about 300 ? I guess I would be running with the horses. (non-lame variants)

even ballista on turret when you hit something close range, missile velocity is in excess of 100 meters per second. Very unrealistic, kills the mood.

Historical crossbows that I have seen that were recorded, the last ones I was checking, a heavy siege composite xbow for defense, had 50-60 meters per second depending on how heavy was the bolt. The famed uberpowerful 72,6 kg draw english longbow, managed some 53 or 54 m/s. (even heavier ones would most likely still shoot the same light arrow at 80 grams)With a much lighter arrow.(1/3-4,5x) And that is way long after this game is set. I would suppose that previous weaponry would most likely be weaker compared to that. Not necessarily, but possibly.

Infantry, looters faster than olympic runners especially on retreat. Too fast missiles, their rocks flying at around 40 m/s is also humanly impossible.

Tone down the movement of infantry, horses, missiles. Then rebalance them. It is early access, time for major improvements.

+1

Also, imho, horse armor should be tied to your riding skill. It takes a great deal of time and effort to train a horse to accept wearing the armor and learn to maneuver while wearing it

While I do agree with you, have you tried doing a Tokyo slide with a horse it's freaking hilarious? :iamamoron:

While I do agree with you, have you tried doing a Tokyo slide with a horse it's freaking hilarious? :iamamoron:
I did some drifting, at least horses have visible momentum. If speeds dont change, they should add the smoke from burning the metal horseshoes to better reflect the hilarity of it. With some barding, plating, all that, add the rider, equipment, and you need some proper brakes too. The horse will need some braking liquid somewhere :grin:

Anyone has relevant info on this topic, how does the harness/player weight mechanic affect horse acceleration and speed? Would appreciate any insight.

Anyone has relevant info on this topic, how does the harness/player weight mechanic affect horse acceleration and speed? Would appreciate any insight.
This topic was from when the EA first releases. In more recent versions the weight does effect the horses speed in a satisfying way. It's not going to make a good horse too slow to equip max armor or anything but it is noticeable.

This topic was from when the EA first releases. In more recent versions the weight does effect the horses speed in a satisfying way. It's not going to make a good horse too slow to equip max armor or anything but it is noticeable.
Thanks, yeah, I know the horse weight affects acceleration now, so does the horse armor work the same way so it's added to the horse weight? Or is that a separate mechanic, that's what I'm wondering about too.

Thanks, yeah, I know the horse weight affects acceleration now, so does the horse armor work the same way so it's added to the horse weight? Or is that a separate mechanic, that's what I'm wondering about too.

I read that harness and player weight plays in

Back
Top Bottom