Does ransomed troops affect the kingdom economy their from?

Users who are viewing this thread

I have been taking alot of prisoners from an enemy faction and have successfully ransoming them.. which makes me some good money... but I don't really need the money.

So I have had them sitting in my prisons until the faction sues peace after I ave captured too many of their raiding lords. 

But I was wondering... if the people who pay those ransoms have to get that money from somewhere..... does that remove wealth from that kingdom in game mechanics or does it just give money to me from thin air so to speak?

Because if it removes wealth from teh enemy faction then I would ransom every time.

Anyone know the skinny?

I don't know. But I didn't see any consequences of that in the game for the kingdom which paid the ransom.

Noble prisoners
Common prisoners can be handed over in taverns to wandering Ransom Brokers, however, lords can not be ransomed this way. You have two other options with lords: you can hold onto them and wait for their kingdom to offer a reward, or sometimes a competing kingdom will offer to take them off your hands when talking to their lords or leader. If you don't hand them over to someone else, you will most likely receive repeated events over time requesting that the captured noble be returned to their native kingdom for a price. If the offer is rejected, the player's reputation with the nation in question will decrease, as will their honor. Oftentimes, the request will be repeated, occasionally with a higher price.

It may be in your interest to keep lords as prisoners for as long as possible, an opposing nation can only have as many armies as they have lords. So if the player captures 7 out of 40 lords, only 33 armies could possibly be in play on the opposing side at any one time.

http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Ransom

Neither, MB wiki has an information like that.

Hmm  ...  exactly...  I get the feeling that prisoners are just bags of money from the community they come from be it family or village elder. Seems wrong that it doesn't cost the home economy.. like the ransomed daughter mission.

Really, the only time keeping lords in jail have any consequence to their kingdom is if you can manage to capture the king and the marshal at the same time.  That cripples the kingdom, leaving it with nobody to direct warfare and nobody able to appoint a new marshal. 

Otherwise, it's better to just get paid.

OK. .. perhaps a more simplified version of my question should be ...

When the ransom broker pays me for prisoners.... ultimately. .. where does that money come from?

And is that represented in the economy of the game?

BIGGER Kentucky James XXL said:
The ransom broker conjures money from thin air. He's one of the few NPCs who is somehow able to print money rather than drawing from a personal purse.

This. Unfortunately, it doesn't add/deplete the coin reserves of any city. It's a purely personal to the NPC.
Ergo, since R. Brokers can't spend money anyway, it doesn't matter.

Would be pretty cool if selling prisoners to slavers decreased bandit pop though :grin:

Also related, if a kingdom buys a lord's ransom, their economy takes zero hit. NPC kingdoms technically don't use money. That money does not come from any inventory. It also comes from thin air.
They don't need $$$ to recruit. Troop recruitment for NPC Lords are based on how long they rest at their home base, rather than $$$ like the player.

It is a shame it isn't better than that.

I have the conundrum when considering releasing or ransoming any prisoners.
If I release a lord you may gain honour?
If I turn down a ransom offer I lose honour.

If I just keep building up a prison population it has no affect at all. Much like the NPC lords.
Selling prisoners as galley slaves should diminish honour.
I would like to see either a cost to keeping prisoners or the limit imposed on castles.
Actually anything that makes the strategy of taking prisoners affect the enemy.

Back
Top Bottom