Do the developers even care? MP is about to be empty for good.

Users who are viewing this thread

NewBritish

Recruit
Your game is dying. The number of players in siege and on the duel servers are decreasing every day. What's the plan? Sit and wait for it to die? The community has made suggestions for how to improve or fix MP and they've been disregarded, and these are not issues which take a long time to implement.

For example: one of the siege maps CRASHES EVERY GAME. Not sometimes like the other maps. But 90+% of the time. Why is it so hard to remove it from the rotation?

Does anyone at the company care?

step 1: antagonize and ignore mp community
step 2: blame the consequent death of mp on the community
step 3: shut down servers
step 4: never have to worry about mp again

Apparently, they already pulled the plug on OCE servers so this seems plausible to me.

Did I crack the code @Callum?

They care about pushing their own vision, not about giving the players what they want.
To say the very least however, this vision isn't good, and community pushback against it seems to have caused Taleworlds to stop updating MP entirely, presumably because they know we won't be happy with whatever minor percentage tweaks they would give us.
During beta, each update was one step forward, one step back. The community would highlight something that needed fixing, and Taleworlds would fix this issue only to reintroduce it a few months down the line.

The shield durability conundrum
- Shield durability is in a good state, just enough to protect you for a limited amount of time, but would break after a while.
- Taleworlds inexplicably increase shield durability by multitudes of what it previously was. No reason was given. Shields then never broke.
- Taleworlds rollback this change after community pushback.
- Taleworlds reintroduce insane shield durability.
- Taleworlds decrease shield durability by small increments for the following months after community backlash.
- Shields are still insanely durable today, and don't demand any attention given from players.

The blocking debacle
- Block delay exists and is awful.
- Block delay gets removed due to community pushback.
- Block delay gets reintroduced.

Here's a little more ****, since we're at it
- Chamber blocking doesn't work, never addressed

- Kicking is useless, never addressed

- Attack delay exists and is garbage, never addressed.

- Stance system exists and is garbage, never properly addressed.

Most importantly however, almost all of the combat changes that were actually made were directed to removing symptoms of underlying issues, rather than fixing the underlying issues themselves. Many adjustments to the stance system were made during the beta, and as a result the game does play better, but the stance system itself is so bloated and convoluted that its existence prevents the game from ever feeling good to play.

I don't know where I'm going with this post. I guess my point is Taleworlds don't know where they're going with the multiplayer either. It feels ****ty to say this, since I can see how someone at Taleworlds might see this and take offense, but whoever's in charge of MP has no idea what they're doing. Everything about it is wrong on a fundamental level.

- Bad class system
- Bad currency gain system
- Bad gamemodes
- Terrible balance as a result of these issues
- Boring, one-dimensional, symmetrical maps
- Inexplicable focus on competitive play, despite bad combat
- Awful combat

MP is an incoherent mess that can't be fixed without a major shift in design philosophy.
Is this shift something that will ever occur to Taleworlds? I don't believe so. Would be nice if it did though.

Last edited:
Dont go too hard on devs right now. They started seeing the issue in latest forum posts and game dev is difficult so we need a few months time before anything is fixed, you guys are too impatient. There is no magic button that programmers can press to fix something its going to take time.
Its going to get worse before it gets better.

Also from what one of the team members from TW said they will be communicating month by month their progress.

I worry that TW decided MP is not monetisable, not because it couldn't be popular, but the invest/return ratio is not as good as SP.

In SP games someone buys the game, they enjoy it for 10, 100, maybe 500 hours then maybe revisits it once a while not really expecting many changes.

In MP games, we expect constant updates and patches to expand gameplay and change meta. If your model is based on a single sale on initial purchase, like Bannerlord, MP is a constant drain on revenue, whilst once SP is passive income once completed.

What really confuses me is, someone else already solved this issue? Valve have been ****ting out skins and cosmetics faster than a bad curry on a Friday night for almost a decade, and making bank. Why TW didn't adopt this style of monetisation is beyond me, sure you might have to lower your initial sale price, but it seems a complete underestimation of one of the most steadfast communities I've seen.

Maybe it was a fear that modders would just mod their skins into the game and make their revenue redundant? But Valve dealt with that pretty swiftly, and TW have enough capital now to start enforcing these stringent restrictions.

They care about pushing their own vision, not about giving the players what they want.
To say the very least however, this vision isn't good, and community pushback against it seems to have caused Taleworlds to stop updating MP entirely, presumably because they know we won't be happy with whatever minor percentage tweaks they would give us.
During beta, each update was one step forward, one step back. The community would highlight something that needed fixing, and Taleworlds would fix this issue only to reintroduce it a few months down the line.

- Shield durability is in a good state, just enough to protect you for a limited amount of time, but would break after a while.
- Taleworlds inexplicably increase shield durability by multitudes of what it previously was. No reason was given. Shields then never broke.
- Taleworlds decrease shield durability by small increments for the following months after community backlash.
- Shields are still insanely durable today, and don't demand any attention given from players.

The blocking debacle

Most importantly however, almost all of the combat changes that were actually made were directed to removing symptoms of underlying issues, rather than fixing the underlying issues themselves. Many adjustments to the stance system were made during the beta, and as a result the game does play better, but the stance system itself is so bloated and convoluted that its existence prevents the game from ever feeling good to play.

I don't know where I'm going with this post. I guess my point is Taleworlds don't know where they're going with the multiplayer either. It feels ****ty to say this, since I can see how someone and Taleworlds might see this and take offense, but whoever's in charge of MP has no idea what they're doing. Everything about it is wrong on a fundamental level.

- Bad class system
- Bad gamemodes
- Inexplicable focus for competitive play, despite bad combat
- Awful combat

MP is an incoherent mess that can't be fixed without a major shift in design philosophy.
Is this shift something that will ever occur to Taleworlds? I don't believe so. Would be nice if it did though.

Savage true FACTS

black-kid-oh-snap_0.gif

Dont go too hard on devs right now. They started seeing the issue in latest forum posts and game dev is difficult so we need a few months time before anything is fixed, you guys are too impatient. There is no magic button that programmers can press to fix something its going to take time.
Its going to get worse before it gets better.

Also from what one of the team members from TW said they will be communicating month by month their progress.

Almost nobody is complaining that the problems weren't addressed instantly. We're complaining that there is no communication from the devs. They hardly respond to any threads, their limited responses are vague or condescending, and those are justifiable grievances. So yeah, nice strawman.

The blocking debacle

I don't know where I'm going with this post. I guess my point is Taleworlds don't know where they're going with the multiplayer either. It feels ****ty to say this, since I can see how someone and Taleworlds might see this and take offense, but whoever's in charge of MP has no idea what they're doing. Everything about it is wrong on a fundamental level.

- Bad class system
- Bad gamemodes
- Awful combat

Agree with everything except the kicking can actually be useful during combat either in duels or 2v1's/ 1v2's

Almost nobody is complaining that the problems weren't addressed instantly. We're complaining that there is no communication from the devs. They hardly respond to any threads, their limited responses are vague or condescending, and those are justifiable grievances. So yeah, nice strawman.

That is the real issue I agree. I guess Im just past the stage of angry mob with torches and pitchforks but Im always very let down by MP state as I had so much fun when it was booming with players.

The blocking debacle

- Bad class system
- Bad gamemodes
- Awful combat

this

100% true. I wish they would just say anything at this point. It's pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom