Do Formations Really Make a Significant Difference for You?

Users who are viewing this thread

stevepine

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I was thinking about this because of the introduction of the new radial U.I.

I have to be honest, I mostly just use the good old line formation. For me the starting position of my troops seems considerably more important than the formation they are in.

My question is, have you had a battle where a change of formation really made a big difference to the outcome? Would be really interested to hear about your experiences.

Cheers, guys.

Well just loose archers and shieldwall infantry works for me I might put them into square or circle because it looks funny or its just for a meme but when there are just 2 formations that are the best there is no point in using the others

I played Bannerlord for 100 hours, I managed to win 6-7 battles with proper formations, I was heavily outnumbered in those battles. I play on full realistic and maximum difficulty on combat AI.

My question is, have you had a battle where a change of formation really made a big difference to the outcome? Would be really interested to hear about your experiences.

Loose formation helps your men win ranged duels against superior numbers or quality. It is also the premier anti-cavalry formation because it gives troops enough space to attack without bumping each other. Shieldwall does protect pretty well against arrows.

But the formation effects are nice to haves, in my experience, not required in anyway.

I feel like square formation for infantry has gotten me out of being destroyed by large cavalry armies. Though I'm not sure if they exist post herd penalty. Loose formation seems good for training low level infantry against inferior sized forces.

The enemy never seem to benefit from formations though.

Yes they do but there are some few that dont. Circle formation works fine to but its situational if you get surrounded with no support from your back like shortly shown here. Facing Khuz HA its an good formation if you dont have much cover or time to set up your troops

Even the wedge can work with your archers at times

i got some good use out of putting both the infantry and the archers (elevated) in a skein formation with cavalry in the back. Good wide range for archers against enemy missile cav.

Oh how interesting :smile: i have to try this...i like the idea of having an two way cover cav ready in each direction if needed

Last edited:
i got some good use out of putting both the infantry and the archers (elevated) in a skein formation with cavalry in the back. Good wide range for archers against enemy missile cav.

I change my formations constantly during battles, and the new UI makes it harder for me because I play in first person only.....

Loose formation is a must for ranged, it's actually annoying to me we can't 'save' it as default. SW for infantry (if have gotten some for free).
Skien is good for HA to stop a Cav charge, it used to be really really good (before 1.4.3 I think), now it's just okay because they made them stupider and stupider.
Overall I don't like that you can't move all troops without loosing the orientation of the formations. This makes mostly good at the start of a defensive (out numbered) battle and awkward at any other time. The lack of mini map hurt too since using character prospective to judge where troops should be to be in a good arrangement sucks. I also really dislike how some unit groups start in a bad arrangement and you can't put them in a good one easily. For instance HA start in big thick squares and putting them in "Line" doesn't change them, I think they would do better in a line the same as archers use to have more horizontal firing range and not leave the back rows un-firing. It would also help them not blob up when they charge, which used to be really good but now they're really stupid and ride backwards into enemies.

I wish they would move and attack in formation too, particularly Cav in a skein. I really don't like how the advance command works, it's like a suicide button now but in older (pre 1.4.3?) builds it was useful for Cav.

I was thinking about this because of the introduction of the new radial U.I.

I have to be honest, I mostly just use the good old line formation. For me the starting position of my troops seems considerably more important than the formation they are in.

Cheers, guys.

If you play on realistic difficulty and outnumbered it can make differense if you do it right vs different factions and enemy types. Not a huge differense but some times enough.

Pretty much this.

Everything else I've tried has not been as effective.
Loose formation is good but then you dont get same concentrated fire line but more spread out arrows which can work to depending on how the enemy comes in. But its a must sometimes when you have a lot of archers so they dont stand in the way so to speak

Pretty much this.

Everything else I've tried has not been as effective.
What i would have loved about the shieldwall would've been for the goddamn recruits to stay behind the shielded infantry..
I keep trying to get the perfect shield wall with all the men holding shields but the recruits keep staying random between the lines and keep getting pummeled by enemy archers..

What i would have loved about the shieldwall would've been for the goddamn recruits to stay behind the shielded infantry..
I keep trying to get the perfect shield wall with all the men holding shields but the recruits keep staying random between the lines and keep getting pummeled by enemy archers..
Could be that you dont have shields enough..Try remake it by hold and release to an thicker line i do this all the time for my crossbowmen to protect the lower tiers. But yeah sometimes its bugged and the soldiers are blocking the way for the shield guy

Could be that you dont have shields enough..Try remake it by hold and release to an thicker line i do this all the time for my crossbowmen to protect the lower tiers. But yeah sometimes its bugged and the soldiers are blocking the way for the shield guy
Hmm, idk to me it seems they just randomly get posted in the wall

Ask the Romans if formations made a difference :p

Cheers, guys.
To be fair I have not yet tested the new radial menu so I have no idea if the formations still work as intended, but yes I've had a few battles where I was outnumbered just like @sniparsexe has mentioned.

Elevation can strongly enhance your formations strenght, if you want to practase it just roleplay a commander on horseback and lead your men from a distance.

btw how is the new radial menu? I can imagine that 1st person playstyles are f*cked now, sadly..

Ask the Romans if formations made a difference :p

To be fair I have not yet tested the new radial menu so I have no idea if the formations still work as intended, but yes I've had a few battles where I was outnumbered just like @sniparsexe has mentioned.

Elevation can strongly enhance your formations strenght, if you want to practase it just roleplay a commander on horseback and lead your men from a distance.

btw how is the new radial menu? I can imagine that 1st person playstyles are f*cked now, sadly..
Tbh i am starting to learn the shortcuts and i do them instantly, that way it stays om screen for one sec and such so it doesn't bother me
If only they wouldn't have moved some of these iwould've liked them

Tbh i am starting to learn the shortcuts and i do them instantly, that way it stays om screen for one sec and such so it doesn't bother me
If only they wouldn't have moved some of these iwould've liked them
Yeah I mean it doesnt really matter if you're quick enough, sure. But I can imagine (looking at the pics of how it looks) it's a pain in the eye if you're still getting used to it haha

Back
Top Bottom