[DISCUSSION] Fan Suggestion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Kemp said:
Maybe something could be done if you have a good relation with the Tavern Keeper:

3) Special quest triggered when you have X amount of relation.

How about the tavern keeper asks you to deny entry to a few rowdy patrons.
You accept and get equipped with a wooden club.
You step outside door into town and there are 5 drunken beserkers waiting for you.
You can either persude them to leave, pay them a bribe of say 1 keg of ale or wine or you can force them to leave with your trusty wooden club.

Brew said:
Jason Kemp said:
Maybe something could be done if you have a good relation with the Tavern Keeper:

3) Special quest triggered when you have X amount of relation.

How about the tavern keeper asks you to deny entry to a few rowdy patrons.
You accept and get equipped with a wooden club.
You step outside door into town and there are 5 drunken beserkers waiting for you.
You can either persude them to leave, pay them a bribe of say 1 keg of ale or wine or you can force them to leave with your trusty wooden club.

Or you can join them for a relation loss which then means that they think you are a great captain and join your party for free (well you pay with relation loss to the city).
Could have them be random troops so that you can decide if they are worth the relation loss (and so that you can check if they are killable for you in your current state).

I love the new mercenary hiring but how about having specific npcs for some of the more difficult to get mercenaries? Like a sole npc that would sell you bottom tier Mettenheim, one for Melentine etc. I want to make armies from some of the really cool troops but it just isn't possible and it is a shame to waste so many cool troops. For instance, I tried a veccavia only army (one of the few 'special' troops that are actually relatively easy to get) and even though it was rubbish I was fine replacing my losses but couldn't find enough Maidens. Make it expensive but make it possible. Running from tavern to tavern for hours is just boring and good luck finding enough peasant women or maidens in prisoner stacks.

TL;DR give us a way to hire mercenaries from specific cultures. A single travelling npc that restocks weekly is my suggestion. One for each culture. A lot of really cool troops seem wasted when you can only hire a few every decade and they die a long time before you can upgrade them.

Skinwah said:
I love the new mercenary hiring but how about having specific npcs for some of the more difficult to get mercenaries? Like a sole npc that would sell you bottom tier Mettenheim, one for Melentine etc. I want to make armies from some of the really cool troops but it just isn't possible and it is a shame to waste so many cool troops. For instance, I tried a veccavia only army (one of the few 'special' troops that are actually relatively easy to get) and even though it was rubbish I was fine replacing my losses but couldn't find enough Maidens. Make it expensive but make it possible. Running from tavern to tavern for hours is just boring and good luck finding enough peasant women or maidens in prisoner stacks.

TL;DR give us a way to hire mercenaries from specific cultures. A single travelling npc that restocks weekly is my suggestion. One for each culture. A lot of really cool troops seem wasted when you can only hire a few every decade and they die a long time before you can upgrade them.

There is a new recruitment option added to the red brotherhood slavers, when you ask for rumors they sometimes(its quite common) give the opportunity to hire mettenheim and melitine mercs around 20 or so at a time.
The probably also offer barclay troops aswell.
Its quite easy to build up a sizable force of your preferred kind now.

Brew said:
Skinwah said:

There is a new recruitment option added to the red brotherhood slavers, when you ask for rumors they sometimes(its quite common) give the opportunity to hire mettenheim and melitine mercs around 20 or so at a time.

You do have to own your own castle if you want to build up a sizable force of them. Then take them out and upgrade them. It is not that hard if you max intelligence and training on all of your companions like i do, but it can take a long time otherwise. They are really strong for their upkeep, so i think that this is the only way that would be reasonable; otherwise you would never use faction troops. I believe the 450 prof Melitine Imperial guard only cost 50-60. Just stack your castles with them and you have a really great defensive force.
I use Melitine for inf, Barclay for cav, and Mettenheim for inf/crossbows (they are great, but you cant get forlorn hope anymore :cry: though their greatswords are still useful).

Brew said:

Is that actually new? Didn't they always do that? My suggestion was to have an npc for each faction that ONLY offered that factions mercs.

I think you guys should Add an item (like the one from Blood and Steel) that you buy from the goods merchant that upon use, refills ammunition for arrows or bolts.  It really sucks when you're in a siege and you run out of arrows and have to mindlessly charge in or rebuild your siege tower.  Be better if we could just skirmish for a bit before going in.  Especially sucks against d'shar because if you charge in mindlessly when you run out of ammo, you get slaughtered even if you outnumber them 20:1.

With high surgery and proper tactics with new options you can easily have an army of foreign troops since they're very strong. If you cannot care for your own troops and need endless supply of cannon fodder then it's your own problem I guess. You always can get as much as you want through cheat menu anyway.

sher said:
With high surgery and proper tactics with new options you can easily have an army of foreign troops since they're very strong. If you cannot care for your own troops and need endless supply of cannon fodder then it's your own problem I guess. You always can get as much as you want through cheat menu anyway.

Have you ever played mount and blade? A long campaign with/being the marshall will whittle your troops. You fight with your allies and you can't help casualties.

sher said:
Skinwah said:
Have you ever played mount and blade?

Ofc not, only you did. There are so many foreign troops now that I don't even hire them all all the time.

Deflecting the actual point. Good job. I will make it simpler for you to understand;

Can't get troop from <faction> on campaign, how can make faction army?

Skinwah said:

Use cheats for perversions. They're foreign mercenaries, you're not supposed to hire them at will, and if you don't like immersion and common sense you always have testers cheat options for unlimited troops.

Personally I don't have any problems running an adventuring company consisting from best troops (mostly foreign) during very long campaigns but I'm using small number of best rescued troops to act as meat shield like any sane commander would. The only money I spend on troops are for foreign troops in taverns and their upgrades, almost never on usual troops and their upgrades - it's not hard to live fine with rescued troops only. And foreign troops are actually much better precisely for campaigns since their upgrade paths are shorter and cheaper in the end - perfect to reinforce elite core for fresh war.

sher said:
Skinwah said:

Use cheats for perversions. They're foreign mercenaries, you're not supposed to hire them at will, and if you don't like immersion and common sense you always have testers cheat options for unlimited troops.

/quote]

Even given Warbands battle size limitations, hiring 3 guys at a bar when you have 100 Cavalry outside seems a bit silly. You have done nothing except say 'I do this so you are wrong'. How about discuss the idea of having specific npcs for each faction?

Personally I don't have any problems running an adventuring company consisting from best troops (mostly foreign) during very long campaigns but I'm using small number of best rescued troops to act as meat shield like any sane commander would. The only money I spend on troops are for foreign troops in taverns and their upgrades, almost never on usual troops and their upgrades - it's not hard to live fine with rescued troops only. And foreign troops are actually much better precisely for campaigns since their upgrade paths are shorter and cheaper in the end - perfect to reinforce elite core for fresh war.

[/quote]

Again, you are reading what you want to read. I said I want to make an army out of expensive mercenary troops and you say you can make an army out of rescued prisoners. I am amazed, do you even think before you flap your gums?

Skinwah said:
I said I want to make an army out of expensive mercenary troops and you say you can make an army out of rescued prisoners.

And I said that you suck at this game since if I can steadily accumulate foreign troops in my party and have no free space for them then anyone can. Your inability to do so and desire not to use core game mechanics to replenish minor losses with rescued prisoners but have some magic NPCs to do some BS are your issues, not mods. There are already tons of NPCs in taverns and no need to add more, it will make game worse and I don't want this to happen so I provide different opinion, just in case that mods authors somehow will consider this suggestion worthy of implementation.

taro11 said:
Is it possible to have notification for noldor tournaments? I almost always miss to join them in time.

I consider using teleport fair in this case - I also keep forgetting constantly about village raids and travel far away.

sher said:
taro11 said:
Is it possible to have notification for noldor tournaments? I almost always miss to join them in time.

I consider using teleport fair in this case - I also keep forgetting constantly about village raids and travel far away.
Aha, got you! :grin: The one who blabbers about the players who use exploits or who reload being cheaters, while he claims to always do a "perfect" gameplay, eh? :iamamoron: Well, now I can call for a cheater as well! :mrgreen:

================================================================

@Skinwah: what you are trying to ask for was once done by @BananaFruit in form of a tweak, only for Mettenheim:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,348796.msg8706953.html#msg8706953
But according to him, it would be easy to make it so for the rest, that being Veccavia, Barclay and Melitine as well. I wish that this feature could've been implemented, it would've been so cool... Those who wouldn't like it, like this @sher guy above, could just ignore those NPC-s, so I really don't understand the high disposition for the idea. I once tried to convince the devs to add it, but the idea was rejected, stating that those units are supposed to only be mercenaries in Pendor, with limited access for the player so that he can't reliably build an army from the given minor faction's units. Instead, some batches of ~15-20 were added to ransom brokers' offers, but such opportunities are still very rare if the player doesn't save-scum.

Too bad. RIP Mettenheim / Barclay / Veccavia / Melitine roleplaying playthroughs :???:

Gorvex said:
@Skinwah: what you are trying to ask for was once done by @BananaFruit in form of a tweak, only for Mettenheim:
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,348796.msg8706953.html#msg8706953
But according to him, it would be easy to make it so for the rest, that being Veccavia, Barclay and Melitine. I also wish that this feature could've been implemented... Those who wouldn't like it, like this @sher guy above, could just ignore those NPC-s, so I really don't understand the high disposition for the idea. I once tried to convince the devs to add it, but the idea was rejected, stating that those units are supposed to only be mercenaries in Pendor, with limited access for the player so that he can't reliably build an army only from a given minor faction. Instead, some batches of ~15-20 were added to ransom brokers' offers, but such opportunities are still very rare if the player doesn't save-scum

Too bad. RIP Mettenheim / Barclay / Veccavia / Melitine roleplaying party :???:

I'd love to see BananaFruit's Mettenheim recruiter be revived for 3.9. It was way too OP the way he had it implemented though, since you could hire whole armies of Hauptmanns if you were high enough level. I'd be happy just to see an NPC for each of the foreign factions who had a dozen or so entry level recruits for hire each week.

I think its disappointing that easy access to the very interesting foreign troops, which many folks have asked for, was rejected in favor of buffing Warband's least interesting units, the generic mercenaries.

For the future, maybe designing a new type of Snake Cult Army that isn't basically just a horde? I mean, in the style of a professional military, much like they would be organized in the Empire they hail from over in Amala. I like how the Melitine / Barclay armies feel like professional militaries, but in Pendor the Snake Cult is more like a few cult leaders driving a horde of slaves before them. Which might work for Pendor, but since we're slowly inching towards more and more Amala content, maybe this kind of a different SC army could be considered? Maltise, for example. She's got her household troops, sure. But it's still ultimately just horde + household troops.

Back
Top Bottom